10-17-08 06:12 PM
27 12
tools
    I have a (previously activated) VZW BB 8703e. Is it possible to (will Verizon let you do it) activate the BB device with phone and txt messaging service only? Since I have it on hand at no extra cost it would be handy to use for text messaging, outlook contacts, calendar, tacks, and note pad and be able to sync it with your desktop with no need for the extra expense of the data plan.

Is this possible?
    10-03-08 12:51 AM
    I work for Verizon Wireless, and I have yet to figure out how to do it. the order taking system won't even let us activate the phone on the line without it.
    10-03-08 03:47 AM
    I was told this was absolutely not possible with blackberry devices on Verizon. I did see someone on here a few months ago saying that was ridiculous and of course it was possible, but no one has been to able to instruct HOW it's possible.

If you search you'll just get a lot of people saying "why on earth would you want a BB without the data plan!?" so you may not find the comments I'm referring to, good luck!
    10-03-08 05:46 AM
    As a former indirect agent, the system would not allow us to activate the equipment without either the BIS or BES plan. I'm sure things have not changed since I left in April.
    10-03-08 05:54 PM
    It is not possible to have a blackberry with vzw without a data plan. It is possible with a pda, but not a blackberry.
    10-04-08 01:11 AM
    The vzw activation / billing system does not allow it. A data plan is required with any bb on vzw. PDA's you can do the pay as u go plans . . (No extra fee unless u use it) but not
    true with bb"s

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-08 01:50 AM
    There is a way to do it its only a 10 dollar plan it gets u very limited use if u go over the usage u will be charged lots of money lol so we usually recomend a 30 dollar plan it keeps you covered.
    10-04-08 01:05 PM
    There is a way to do it its only a 10 dollar plan it gets u very limited use if u go over the usage u will be charged lots of money lol so we usually recomend a 30 dollar plan it keeps you covered.
    THere is no $10 plan. There is hoever a 24.99 for 10MB, which is really dumb. FOr $5 more you get the unlim plan.
    10-04-08 01:07 PM
    i am curious. doesn't the blackberry send and receive data (polling) so frequently that if one were to go without a data plan (which is impossible anyway) that the per MB fees would continually add up and be outragous?
    10-04-08 02:07 PM
    i am curious. doesn't the blackberry send and receive data (polling) so frequently that if one were to go without a data plan (which is impossible anyway) that the per MB fees would continually add up and be outragous?
    I dont really believe the issue people have with the data plan being mandatory on a blackberry with vzw, is the amount you pay. I think people simply cant get past the fact that you have to have data plan period. The reality is you dont have to have a data plan if you really dont want one! You just have to get yourself a blackberry with another carrier, or go back to using mortalized phones! Always a choice.
    10-04-08 03:41 PM
    all above posts ring true- vzw requires a data plan w/ a blackberry. it's for the best, really. a blackberry without data features is sad.
    10-06-08 05:36 PM
    all above posts ring true- vzw requires a data plan w/ a blackberry. it's for the best, really. a blackberry without data features is sad.
    true. no pdas/smartphones can be activated without a data plan attached.
    10-06-08 07:12 PM
    true. no pdas/smartphones can be activated without a data plan attached.
    Sorry to say this is wrong. On all other VZW PDA's/SMart phone you activate and have data blocked.
    10-06-08 07:43 PM
    Sorry to say this is wrong. On all other VZW PDA's/SMart phone you activate and have data blocked.
    true story...with the PDA/Smartphones you can do 1 of 4 plans

block internet
    pay as you go
    10mb plan for 24.99
    or unlimited (29.99 or 44.95)
    10-06-08 10:02 PM
    true story...with the PDA/Smartphones you can do 1 of 4 plans

block internet
    pay as you go
    10mb plan for 24.99
    or unlimited (29.99 or 44.95)
    While this is true, data block is not an actual plan, it is a feature.

The correct way to use a PDA (non BB) without data would be to activate it on the pay as you go plan, and then add the data-block feature.

Which brings us back to square one - > All PDAs/BBs require a data plan. Its just that regular PDAs have the pay as you go plan available, BBs do not.
    10-07-08 02:43 AM
    Verizon pda's use data to send and receive picture messages too, so if you are on pay as you go you are going to rack up the kb's. And if you block data, the aforesaid messaging won't work. Just something to keep in mind.

10-07-08 03:16 PM
    The correct way to use a PDA (non BB) without data would be to activate it on the pay as you go plan, and then add the data-block feature.
    you are incorrect. you can not add a Pay as you go feature and then add a data block... its like contridicting (sp?) itself.

Verizon pda's use data to send and receive picture messages too, so if you are on pay as you go you are going to rack up the kb's. And if you block data, the aforesaid messaging won't work. Just something to keep in mind.

this is true...however Verizon changed its policy with the picture messaging issue on PDAs and the KB usage for the picture messages just defaults to the regular picture message plan. (either be unlimited or alacarte at .25c a message) so if you have unlimited text messaging and are on the PDA pay as you go plan. you can send 1000 picture messages and not be charged for the KB usage, it should be waived. or if you send 10 messages with alacarte feature it will just be the 2.50 (.25 X 10).
    ........at least that is how it is suppose to work.
    10-07-08 04:00 PM
    Yeah no go. Its quickly becoming this way with all carriers too att allows but have heard they won't in future. It is the truth with out data u miss push email ( ota installs,bb messenger and so much more.....

10-07-08 05:31 PM
    I tried to temporarily change my plan to texting/calling only so lower my bills. Most reps say it cannot be done. 1 rep did say it was possible and said she would change it. However, I think the system did not allow it as the plan never changed at all. When I called back, that rep said the other was mistaken and the change probably bounced back rejected. data is great but it is pricy and I completely understand if one is looking fo a temporary solution to lower ones bills...
    10-07-08 08:47 PM
    I was warned that this discussion would digress to those that don't understand the concept of having/using a BB without the data plan. None the less I think vzw is missing a small part of the market by not allowing this option. heck ... what would it hurt?

I am strictly a business user and my company has gave me the data plan for years but I rearely use it. I am a heavy email/txt user and I would add three additional lines on my account (I hve the BB devices) if I didn't have to have the data plan.

Do I understand this thread to indicate that other carriers will allow the BB device without the data plan?
    10-15-08 08:05 PM
    I was warned that this discussion would digress to those that don't understand the concept of having/using a BB without the data plan. None the less I think vzw is missing a small part of the market by not allowing this option. heck ... what would it hurt?

I am strictly a business user and my company has gave me the data plan for years but I rearely use it. I am a heavy email/txt user and I would add three additional lines on my account (I hve the BB devices) if I didn't have to have the data plan.

Do I understand this thread to indicate that other carriers will allow the BB device without the data plan?
    HEAVY EMAIL USER! ALERT ALERT! my friend EMAIL uses data on any device with any carrier.
    10-15-08 08:08 PM
    thats what I would like to know... this whole required date plan, disabling of GPS pisses me off!

I actually like verizon, service and coverage wise. But they seem to be making bad business decisions that probably only make them pennies. I remember when v-cast first came out and u had to either pay when u access their store, or prepurchase before u enter the store...

now tell me, would u have to pay to access a street store? Or worse, imagine u had to prepay before u walked into the gap... its crazy and its making me thing carefully whether verizon is a cmpany I want to do business with in the future

but to top it off, how is it that 1/8th of a song cost sometimes up to 2.99 while afull itunes song can cos 99 cents??? robbery???
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 10-15-08 at 08:15 PM.
    10-15-08 08:13 PM
    Data plans are not mandatory for blacberries on at&t or sprints network! At&t has more bars in more places but not all bars serve alchoholic beverges. Sprint runs on the now network. " enter your own caption here"! I refuse to sacrifice the ability to send and receive a call at a 99% clip, to have the ability to own and operate a data device without a data feature. Even if blackberries have really cool calendars! Side note: The most popular phone in the world today can not be active without a data plan!
    10-15-08 09:03 PM
    HEAVY EMAIL USER! ALERT ALERT! my friend EMAIL uses data on any device with any carrier.
    Yes ... I submitt ... I misspoke. Obviously, I do use "data" if I use email but the concept is sound ... the rest of my team does not need the data/email and I will not pay for it for them however, I would provide them with the BB device for the convienence as well as the other non data feachers (phone/txt etc.) mentioned above.

The point is vzw may be missing a piece of the market (which I would participate in) by not offering this option.

However, I soppose the point is moot. Obviously, there are some that agree and some that disagree on this issue. If vzw don't listen, it don't matter.

Let me say that I am very satisfied with the information that I have received here in this thread ... THANKS to all who have contrubuted!
    10-15-08 09:37 PM
    I belive its a contractual issue with RIM. Since not every carrier requires a data plan, I'm not sure if this contract was initiated by vzw or by RIM itself. With vzw's reputation for being money hungry, I would bet my money that it was initiated by them!
    10-15-08 11:40 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD