So I got to thinking today, what is the point of vzw's whole 15% off to those of us that are in the military. With all that is going on in the world today, and with our deployment rotations being long and close together, that 15% does not do use any good. I think that they should do away with the international rates all together for us. That would give them a more consistent customer base with us, being as we would not have to suspend our contracts until we get back.

So my question is, what do you think would be better for vzw to offer those of us that serve our country?
    06-19-09 05:31 AM
    We are still getting 12% off on our data plans, even the international ones. It is cheaper to pick up a SIM card and use the local networks for voice.
    06-19-09 06:06 AM
    We are still getting 12% off on our data plans, even the international ones. It is cheaper to pick up a SIM card and use the local networks for voice.
    I thought it was 15%, oh well. My point being is that if they did away with the international rate we would not have to 1. suspend our contract while stationed overseas, 2. not have to get a local SIM for voice.
    06-19-09 06:13 AM
    you should get your cell service for free brother!!!! thanks for all you guys/gals do
    06-19-09 06:29 AM
    you should get your cell service for free brother!!!! thanks for all you guys/gals do
    Agreed. Thanks for everything you do!
    06-19-09 06:59 AM
    You only get 15%?! I agree with patrick that it should be free for you guys! I get 20% off through my work, and I'm certainly not doing anything nearly as productive/important as you. Thanks to everyone serving our country!!
    06-19-09 07:29 AM
    I'm a civil service aircraft mechanic for the DOD. We get 15% off our calling plan and 12% off our data plan. But I will agree with the O.P. They should do away with international rates for military.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-09 07:46 AM
    I've already been to Iraq once, and I'm slated to go back next June...I don't know about anyone else that has already been there, but while I was over there a couple of my buddies that had blackberrys were able to work something out with Verizon through the USO where they were able to suspend their payments while they were over there, but still had access to their phone for voice and data.
    06-19-09 08:32 AM
    I get 15% off everything from call plans, data and accessories plus they waived all fees when I signed up. I'm in the marine corps.

06-19-09 08:40 AM
    I get 15% off everything from call plans, data and accessories plus they waived all fees when I signed up. I'm in the marine corps.

I second that. I would like to note that I got my storm WELL before my upgrade was due. I know that Verizon already offers up to 4 months (I think?) early, but mine was almost a full year. I explained to them I was in the military and was looking at getting a global phone and they immediately waived the full retail price. I also know that if you live on an installation or buy your phone on an installation, all taxes are waived.
    06-19-09 08:43 AM
    I understand that vzw gives the 12% - 15% discount, but that discount does not apply to international use, other than the data. Plus the discount is off the total bill. Not to mention it also goes towards your monthly minutes, so in effect you get charged twice for the same minutes used.
    06-19-09 11:44 AM
    I agree 100% patrick!
    07-04-09 11:23 PM
    Fifteen percent? That's ridiculous. Verizon should be ashamed. I agree with those folks above who believe you should get your service for free. Your families should have a consistent means of contacting you.

Thank you for making this the greatest country in the history of the world.
    07-04-09 11:44 PM
    So I got to thinking today, what is the point of vzw's whole 15% off to those of us that are in the military. With all that is going on in the world today, and with our deployment rotations being long and close together, that 15% does not do use any good. I think that they should do away with the international rates all together for us. That would give them a more consistent customer base with us, being as we would not have to suspend our contracts until we get back.

So my question is, what do you think would be better for vzw to offer those of us that serve our country?
    Wow. My wife's a teacher and we get 18%

07-05-09 01:51 AM
    While I agree with the sentiment over free international usage for our military, and support our military 110%, 15% off is probably pretty close to a wash.

Domestic carriers have to pay rather substantial roaming fees for their customers using phones in other countries. I have been told they only make between 12% to 16% or so on those minutes.

So for VZW or AT&T or whomever to offer 15% off is the same as them telling you they don't want to profit from our military while they are away from home.

Make it free & the carriers would be subsidizing all usage overseas, which would be an added cost of doing business. As you probably already know, business is in business to make money. Businesses don't pay a dime in taxes - they pass any tax increase on in the form of higher prices. And since business profit works on points, a dollar increase in costs would equal $1.10 in higher prices, based on a 10 point profit model. Sock a company with an added $1 on costs - you end up paying $1.10 more. The same thing would happen with giving away something that would be very expensive - like international service. Those not in the military would see their rates go up - who would be happy with say a 10% increase in their bill? Then you'd need to take into consideration that free would remove incentive to be responsible and service members wouldn't use any restraint in their usage.

Can you see Private Jones racking up a $12,000 monthly bill, calling mom, dad & sweetheart back home? Who would pay for that? Not VZW or AT&T - it would be everyone back home.

And, thank you for your service - in this house and in my business, you are not taken for granted, nor are you ever forgotten.

07-05-09 03:39 AM
    First, I'd like to thank you guys for serving. However, I have to agree with Twins. Does anyone take into consideration why service members only get 15%? The government intentionally negotiated a 15% discount for their employees so they could have a much higher discount on their government liable lines.

Some argue that cell phone service should be free to service members (it's not even a necessity). What about free food & clothes (which are necessities)? Should this privilege of free stuff be extended to other public servants like cops & firefighters?
    07-05-09 06:01 AM
    Ok... I come from a very heavy military family. Pretty much most of my familiy has served (mom and dad were Navy). They've long since retired, but I asked my dad about this, since he is still working for the government doing the whole contracts thing (I can't tell you what part for obvious reasons).

What my dad basically explained to me is that with the amount of benefits that the military already recieves in pretty much every business, it can be estimated that if you are properly asking for your military discounts where you go, you are actually (with all savings totaled) making about twice what your paycheck says (this is also including health and insurance benefits). Plus take into account that your military benefits extend to military dependents moreso than benefits from most U.S. companies and those who serve are extremely well taken care of.

The US Government takes this into account when negotiating contracts with carriers and retailers for discounts for the troops. Twins is right... there has to be a balance, and the US Govt knows this. If there wasn't a balance to the benfits, everyone would be in the military because it would be the best paying job on the planet OR no one would serve in the military because the benefits were so awful. As they are right now, the risk of a military job is approximately equal to the benefits (and I'm not talking about risking your lives... there is NO price on a life... I'm just talking monetarily between services paid and services rendered). And Gvilliager is right... if troops get more of a discount, so too should other public servants such as cops and firefighters (and volunteer firefighers should get the biggest discount, because they don't even get paid). However, you can't base a discount off of how noble the job is.

I agree that there should be a single-rate plan where you can take your phone anywhere in the world and use it evenly and not see roaming, etc. It's a small world, and in a global economy, segregating our ability to communicate with one-another is becoming obsolete.

However, I disagree that this should be something special to troops. I believe firmly in your calling and I respect you greatly for it. But marking this as an issue with a US based carrier is just impractical... Verizon is charged for international roaming by the international companies who's towers you are using, which is why the rates are different in different countries... Every country charges US roaming companies a different amount.

Honestly, the best thing we can hope for is that in a few years, all cell phones will work just as well as they do now, but they will all be satalite capable and towers will be obsolete and you can use your phones just as reliably in any part of the world as you can in any other. Maybe it's just the techie geek in me, but to me, having a couple hundred satalites owned by the different companies is MUCH better than having hundreds of thousands of cell towers across the world.
    Last edited by Lady.Khrystal; 07-05-09 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Brain fart in middle of post
    07-05-09 02:55 PM
    There are all kinds of FREE services for service members, and low cost options to keep in touch with family, so while I thank the OP for his service, I think that Verizon is well within it's own rights to only offer a small discount for service members.

****, having a phone is not a right.

And I did 11 years in the Marine Corps, so I've been there and did that.

For the OP: if keeping in tough is an issue, use the USO facilities, and don't forget about MARS.
    07-05-09 04:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD