I have VZW service in the States, but planning on going to Toronto soon. Will I have the use of BB Messenger (and my Data Plan) while I am there? When i had my Razr, i got phone service in Toronto (for some ridiculous roaming fee), but is the data plan different? Will i get internet usage to use BB Messenger, Yahoo and other IM programs? What about use of BB Maps and stuff? i know I will get lost and require the map usage. Thanks for any input.
    07-20-08 10:13 PM
    You can use it, but you can expect the most absurd rates ever which will ensure you a $1k+ bill.

Last I've known it's still $0.002 per kb in Canada.
    Last edited by vaxick; 07-20-08 at 10:24 PM.
    07-20-08 10:22 PM
    Usually there is no guarrenty of data, but a good source is http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=jXsQ0KV4

I have seen hit and miss with data in Canada

There is also a calling plan the includes Canada, you may want to call VZW and inquire about it. If you change make sure to *228 opt 1 beofre you leave, or at if not, then *228 opt 2.
    Last edited by lastraid; 07-20-08 at 10:32 PM.
    07-20-08 10:23 PM
    Usually there is guarrenty of data, but a good source is http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=c_KQCUgT

I have seen hit and miss with data in Canada

There is also a calling plan the includes Canada, you may want to call VZW and inquire about it. If you change make sure to *228 opt 1 beofre you leave, or at if not, then *228 opt 2.
    FYI for everybody, but to do the option 1 programming instantly without having to wait to hit 1, dial *22899 and it'll start programming the moment you hit the send key.
    07-20-08 10:26 PM
    FYI for everybody, but to do the option 1 programming instantly without having to wait to hit 1, dial *22899 and it'll start programming the moment you hit the send key.
    FYI - Very few employees will tell you to the *22899 anymore. This can mess up a device. This will reset passwords as well, more so on regular phones. This number was designed to program and update modems/aircards as they cannot be dialed.

You are correct that it will do both option 1 and 2, but after a phone is initally programmed there is no need to to do the option 1 again unless changes are made to the account (i.e, price plan). Option 2 will update roaming or tower info in the phone.

If you get a VZW employee that tells you to update *22899, they have not read their internal docmentation.
    07-20-08 10:38 PM
    You can use it, but you can expect the most absurd rates ever which will ensure you a $1k+ bill.

Last I've known it's still $0.002 per kb in Canada.
    I have the North America Voice Plan and the "Unlimited" International Blackberry Data Plan on an 8830. I haven't had any issues with Data Roaming fees anywhere I have been. I am not sure if VZW will allow you to get the International Data plan on anything other than the 8830, but you should try, since the data roaming rates on all Canadian Carriers seem to be high.

Also, check into the voice plan too, since the when roaming on voice in Canada is costly with per minute charges that seem absurd in addition to long distance charges, which generally will guarantee combined voice roaming charges > $1 per minute.

Other than that coverage appears to be great for both voice and data, unless you are near Lake Ontario in Etobicoke, or in certain parts of the airport in both Terminals 1 and 3.
    07-21-08 02:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD