Hello to all in Crackberry land.

As I'm a new poster, I hope I can garner some responses from Atlanta VZW BB users. Preferably those on 9530s.

I'm convinced that my Storm's data performance is sub par. I've tried running Xtreme Labs Speedtest 1.0 in various places around North Georgia.
    However, I can never seem to break 350 k/bits per second download speed.

This ticks me off as I can't get the typically referenced average speeds of 4-700 k/bits per second.

I thought I would ask... What are other 9530 users getting in GA.

Regards,
    Stunks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-09 07:38 PM
    lovely thing about averages, they can be faster or slower. How accurate is the mileage rating for your car? The average for data speed or gas mileage is based on perfect conditions to obtain the numbers. For your data speed, there are so many other variables that can affect this as well. Just to name a couple traffic on towers, weather, distance from towers and so on.
    06-23-09 08:33 PM
    Are you running the test from your Storm or are you tethering through Win DUN?

06-23-09 08:33 PM
    Are you running the test from your Storm or are you tethering through Win DUN?

Doesnt it bottleneck from the RIM server to the phone?
    06-23-09 08:52 PM
    Straight through the Storm,

I know, averages, but it still is a bugger! I'd like to be in the middle of the average speeds usually quoted, gimme 550 or so and I'd be happy!

-stunks
    06-23-09 08:56 PM
    Those tests do not work very well, plus the default BB browser slows down speeds. Try Opera Mini.
    06-23-09 08:59 PM
    Those tests do not work very well, plus the default BB browser slows down speeds. Try Opera Mini.
    Please keep in mind, the Speedtest app is standalone, and is intended to test the throughput to the device itself instead of the server network (RIM).

I would hope that the data streamed in and speed measured is reasonably representative of what the phone and network is capable of in my area.

Does anyone have any results to share from the Xtreme Labs Speedtest app, or any other similar app?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to those who have already replied.

-stunks
    06-23-09 09:13 PM
    Please keep in mind, the Speedtest app is standalone, and is intended to test the throughput to the device itself instead of the server network (RIM).

I would hope that the data streamed in and speed measured is reasonably representative of what the phone and network is capable of in my area.

Does anyone have any results to share from the Xtreme Labs Speedtest app, or any other similar app?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to those who have already replied.

-stunks
    See my post in the thread below:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/data-speeds-250504/

I always get slower speedtest results using the Xtreme Labs app.
    06-23-09 09:54 PM
    Straight through the Storm,
    If you're running straight from your BlackBerry, you are NOT seeing your connection speed. You are seeing the speed between the pinging server & the RIM servers.

To get an accurate reading, you must be tethered to a computer, then run the app through the computer's browser.

Using Access Manager will also slow you down. You need to use Win DUN.

06-23-09 10:01 PM
    Great info from all. Thanks so much!

06-24-09 12:30 PM
    I would suspect that since Big Red is opening a help center in Alpharetta and already has a strong presence here, that if there are connectivity problems, they'd be fixed right quick. In NY we would've said "those concerns will be addressed with all due haste" but here it's, "right quick."
    Besides my "phone" is faster than my Tandy 1000sx was w/ a 14.4 modem. And my phone cost less. I'm not concerned with a few kb its hither and yon.

06-24-09 08:58 PM
    But it can't do that. It needs a point on their server & a point at your end. Basic client-server results based on ping & sample cache download.

You cannot connect BlackBerry data without running through RIM servers, just like you cannot connect on OperaMini without running through Opera servers. At least with Opera, there is cached accelerators preloading a lot of redundant data.

There is no way to accurately measure speed through a BlackBerry - it cannot be done, no matter what the speed tests claim. Using independent equipment, I can tell you those speed tests are a very loose approximation on non-BlackBerry phones, but on BlackBerry, they aren't even in the ballpark.

You're better off making up your numbers.

07-13-09 08:09 PM
    Hello to all in Crackberry land.

As I'm a new poster, I hope I can garner some responses from Atlanta VZW BB users. Preferably those on 9530s.

I'm convinced that my Storm's data performance is sub par. I've tried running Xtreme Labs Speedtest 1.0 in various places around North Georgia.
    However, I can never seem to break 350 k/bits per second download speed.

This ticks me off as I can't get the typically referenced average speeds of 4-700 k/bits per second.

I thought I would ask... What are other 9530 users getting in GA.

Regards,
    Stunks

My Storm is very fast when I use it for tethering. I've used it in Dunwoody, Buckhead, downtown ATL, Alpharetta, and other parts of ATL, I usually get between 800kbps and 1.4mbps.
    07-13-09 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD