I stopped into my VZW store today to pay on my bill, the salesman and I began talking about vacations I told him I was going to Alaska soon and to my surprise he told me my phone would cost too much to use as Alltel doesn't have a plan in Alaska and I would be roaming , I don't know why I thought I would be included in VZW coverage area. But I can't change until
    Aug.

Does this sound right ?
    04-06-10 01:17 PM
    Yeah. That sounds right. See if you can change your Alltel plan to a VZW plan before you head to Alaska.
    04-06-10 01:38 PM
    I stopped into my VZW store today to pay on my bill, the salesman and I began talking about vacations I told him I was going to Alaska soon and to my surprise he told me my phone would cost too much to use as Alltel doesn't have a plan in Alaska and I would be roaming , I don't know why I thought I would be included in VZW coverage area. But I can't change until
    Aug.

Does this sound right ?
    Some Alltel roaming agreements only cover certain Cellular Providers, if the provider you roam on is not "Preferred", it will cost you roaming. You can change your plan at anytime but call in and have them review the coverage with you to see if you will be covered in Alaska.
    04-06-10 02:47 PM
    Some Alltel roaming agreements only cover certain Cellular Providers, if the provider you roam on is not "Preferred", it will cost you roaming. You can change your plan at anytime but call in and have them review the coverage with you to see if you will be covered in Alaska.

I understand that I can change my plan etc.

Problem is I am still under an Alltel contract and now a VZW customer
    I was told I would have to terminate my Alltel contract and pay the penalty then sign on to VZW I could do this in Aug. without a problem.
    04-06-10 04:36 PM
    I understand that I can change my plan etc.

Problem is I am still under an Alltel contract and now a VZW customer
    I was told I would have to terminate my Alltel contract and pay the penalty then sign on to VZW I could do this in Aug. without a problem.
    Ask them to switch you to unlimited pricing.. Before I left VZW this was an option for previous Alltel customers to completely switch over to VZW. If you don't want to pay for the unlimited, then just change your plan to whatever you need later on.
    04-06-10 05:50 PM
    If you're not up on your contract yet, and you need a VZW plan, then you need a VZW phone.

Now, keep in mind, that phone does not necessarily have to be purchased on contract. There's always full retail, even if that's a pricey option. (Lowest phones off contract are around $200.) Sometimes indirect stores have their "obsolete" phones in a back closet and will sell them to you for cheap.

If you go the eBay or Craigslist route to look for something cheaper, make sure you have us check the ESN to make sure it's not on the lost/stolen list, the non-pay list, or currently active on another account before you fork over any money. Heck, you may even have a neighbor with a spare phone in a drawer somewhere.

Just get a little creative, and remember we'll work with you to try to figure a solution. (And, as another person already mentioned, there is that unlimited plan upgrade deal.)
    Last edited by Polychrome; 04-07-10 at 02:28 PM.
    04-07-10 02:26 PM
    There are some promotions running that allow converted Alltel customers to upgrade early when switching to a Verizon plan...

If you don't or can't upgrade early, you can purchase a Verizon phone without a contract. As stated above, you could purchase one at full-retail, or you could purchase one from a third party source... Or even better there's this new program... CPO.
    04-10-10 04:03 PM
    If you're not up on your contract yet, and you need a VZW plan, then you need a VZW phone.

Now, keep in mind, that phone does not necessarily have to be purchased on contract. There's always full retail, even if that's a pricey option. (Lowest phones off contract are around $200.) Sometimes indirect stores have their "obsolete" phones in a back closet and will sell them to you for cheap.

If you go the eBay or Craigslist route to look for something cheaper, make sure you have us check the ESN to make sure it's not on the lost/stolen list, the non-pay list, or currently active on another account before you fork over any money. Heck, you may even have a neighbor with a spare phone in a drawer somewhere.
    The phone really is the problem

How do I go about checking out the ESN
    04-11-10 09:46 PM
    Call us with the ESN that you're looking to purchase.

The things we'll check for:

1. That it's not on the lost/stolen list.
    2. That it's not on the non-pay/fraud list.
    3. That it's not still active on an account somewhere.

Once again, check this *before* purchasing a phone used. This way we'll make sure you don't get scammed.
    04-11-10 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD