So I been thinking....yeah I know thats dangerous. I been thinking wouldn't it be pretty cool if VZW releases 4.5 and it actually is OS 4.6 that everyone has been talking about being launched on the Bold.

It's not that far fetched neither I mean look at 4.3 for VZW customers. It's a pretty solid OS with great features that many are just beginning to enjoy with 4.5. Granted we don't have HTML email and Docs 2 Go but thats not such a big deal (at least to me.) Essentially 4.3 is 4.5 (for VZW customers)

So maybe Verizon just may pull something out of their hat and surprise us. They have been ahead of the game so far who's to say they won't jump out front again. Wouldn't that be nice........4.5 is actually 4.6 something to think about.........maybe I'm high.
    07-01-08 01:39 AM
    It's not gonna happen for any of the current devices.
    07-01-08 01:40 AM
    I'm going with "high."
    07-01-08 07:26 AM
    I'm prone to fantasy but this isn't one I'm able to get behind. High.
    07-01-08 07:39 AM
    Speculation 101
    07-01-08 08:03 AM
    shenanigans
    07-01-08 08:17 AM
    puff puff...give
    07-01-08 08:57 AM
    doubtful, but a nice thought at the very least.
    07-01-08 09:20 AM
    Ha dont Bogart that thing lol
    07-01-08 09:54 AM
    I like your thinking, but common, VZW has been so far behind with tech stuff, I am surprised that they were able to move past the stone tablet era, but on the other hand, the mother company Vodafone is already putting out the Bold. So who is to say, but makes for great conversation.
    07-01-08 10:12 AM
    Anythings possible I guess, but I dont think it will happen.
    07-01-08 12:09 PM
    Absurdity!!!!!!!
    07-01-08 12:14 PM
    Absurdity!!!!!!!
    it's anything but absurdity.....other people were anxiously awaiting 4.5 to be able to record video, watch youtube, faster browser while VZW customers were ALREADY enjoying that freedom with 4.3.........I'm not saying 4.5 for Verizon will ACTUALLY be 4.6 I'm saying it just may simply be almost equivalent to it as 4.3 is to 4.5......

As another poster said "Anythings possible albeit unlikely" (paraphrased) but you cannot dismiss it as absurd unless your on TMO....oh wait..

just yankin your chain............sorta. Nah I'm kidding..........

If I'm right the naysayers owe me $5.00 ea.........if I'm wrong well then I'm wrong thats fair I think.
    Last edited by Castor Troy; 07-01-08 at 01:48 PM.
    07-01-08 01:42 PM
    Nah, I still think you're high
    07-01-08 02:19 PM
    First of all... Verizon doesn't release OS updates for Blackberries. RIM does... the carriers just test it, suggest/request changes, and then it's released to the public either through RIM's Support pages or in the case of Verizon through their own distributor/host.

Second, the 8130 and 8330 have OS 4.3 because at the time of their release, the current OS version that RIM was working on releasing on handsets was 4.3 due to it's MultiMedia enhancements (i.e. video streaming). These two handsets due to being EVDO (faster speeds then EDGE) were equipped with the newer OS because they could easily use the higher bandwidth requirements of such things as streaming video/audio and slightly different web browser rendering.

RIM had decided a long time ago that they would forgo the naming convention of 4.3 in favor of 4.5 because it was taking them so long to release 4.3 that the features they were going to introduce in 4.5 just couldn't be released in enough time, so it didn't make sense for them to release 4.3 for ALL carriers just to turn around and release 4.5 a few months later... not to mention the fact that they are already pushing the envalope on the release/completion date of 4.5 as it is. So, they pushed 4.3 out to the new CDMA phones that would benefit from it and changed the next release for both CDMA and GSM as 4.5 to try and coincide with their BIS2.5 capability release as well.

Hope that sheds some light on the subject. Also, currently there's no difference in functionality between the CDMA 4.5 and GSM 4.5 so, your guess that CDMA 4.5 could be 4.6 in sheep's clothing can't be because there's no small differences as seen with 4.2 and 4.3.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 07-01-08 at 03:35 PM.
    07-01-08 03:33 PM
    Somebody got Waaay too much time on their hands

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-08 05:06 PM
    First of all... Verizon doesn't release OS updates for Blackberries. RIM does... the carriers just test it, suggest/request changes, and then it's released to the public either through RIM's Support pages or in the case of Verizon through their own distributor/host.

Second, the 8130 and 8330 have OS 4.3 because at the time of their release, the current OS version that RIM was working on releasing on handsets was 4.3 due to it's MultiMedia enhancements (i.e. video streaming). These two handsets due to being EVDO (faster speeds then EDGE) were equipped with the newer OS because they could easily use the higher bandwidth requirements of such things as streaming video/audio and slightly different web browser rendering.

RIM had decided a long time ago that they would forgo the naming convention of 4.3 in favor of 4.5 because it was taking them so long to release 4.3 that the features they were going to introduce in 4.5 just couldn't be released in enough time, so it didn't make sense for them to release 4.3 for ALL carriers just to turn around and release 4.5 a few months later... not to mention the fact that they are already pushing the envalope on the release/completion date of 4.5 as it is. So, they pushed 4.3 out to the new CDMA phones that would benefit from it and changed the next release for both CDMA and GSM as 4.5 to try and coincide with their BIS2.5 capability release as well.

Hope that sheds some light on the subject. Also, currently there's no difference in functionality between the CDMA 4.5 and GSM 4.5 so, your guess that CDMA 4.5 could be 4.6 in sheep's clothing can't be because there's no small differences as seen with 4.2 and 4.3.
    great post....VERY informative. Gracias amigo for clearing it up. Well done...............
    07-01-08 06:56 PM
    puff puff...give
    Don't f up the rotation, LOL

07-01-08 07:52 PM
    Don't f up the rotation, LOL

NIIIIIIICE
    07-01-08 07:56 PM
    I hate to be pessimistic here but since VZW just released 4.2.2.196 at the end of April I think it was, can we really expect them to release 4.5 after 2 months of releasing the last update.

Don't get me wrong I can't wait for 4.5 as much as the next person... maybe this waiting is beginning to really get to me lol.
    07-01-08 08:46 PM
    The correct answer is no.
    07-02-08 02:15 PM
    It's not gonna happen for any of the current devices.
    Actually considering they have 5.0.0.22 in testing for 8XXX series, id say its unlikely and they will just skip up to the 5.x series OS.
    07-02-08 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD