So I've had my 8330 Curve for about 3 weeks now and I'm all sorts of confused. I've been reading that the Bold will be the first BB offered with 3G but isn't the 8330 a 3G phone?
    07-03-08 08:53 PM
    I asked that same ? And was told technically the evdo that the 8330 isn't 3G. Its all semantics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 09:01 PM
    They mean GSM 3G.
    07-03-08 09:08 PM
    Ahh...ok that makes no sense to me. Technology and I don't really tend to get along.
    07-03-08 09:51 PM
    Verizon's current 3G network is faster then EDGE (which is what AT&T has right now) until HSDPA (AT&T's new 3G) will be out and usable on the iPhone and Bold. Then that will be faster (we'll see), but Verizon is working on building up their LTE 4G network currently and should start turning on by 2010 hopefully. Until then CDMA carriers in the US (Verizon and Sprint) will be raising speeds to combat the competition via EVDO Rev.A upgrades to supporting handsets. That network is already up and functional.

The G really stands for Generation if you want to be perticular on what it really stands for.
    07-03-08 10:23 PM
    Verizon's current 3G network is faster then EDGE (which is what AT&T has right now) until HSDPA (AT&T's new 3G) will be out and usable on the iPhone and Bold. Then that will be faster (we'll see), but Verizon is working on building up their LTE 4G network currently and should start turning on by 2010 hopefully. Until then CDMA carriers in the US (Verizon and Sprint) will be raising speeds to combat the competition via EVDO Rev.A upgrades to supporting handsets. That network is already up and functional.

The G really stands for Generation if you want to be perticular on what it really stands for.
    So, I'm a little confused here... you say VZW will use EVDO Rev. A upgrades to combat the competition. But the Curve isn't Rev A upgradeable, right? So, the Curve will be left behind other devices in terms of network speed. If that's true, it seems like a bad business decision on VZW's part to have their flagship BB limited like this.

Or is it the case that the Curve won't matter at the time the VZW network is upgraded because there will be new BB devices available from them that WILL be Rev A upgradeable? IF that's true, then why buy the Curve now, since you'd just want to trade it sometime soon in for a newer model that IS upgradeable? Except that it's the best BB available from VZW now. Or, just to play with it, of course, and that's ALWAYS an acceptable rationale.
    07-04-08 09:31 AM
    JRS mentioned in another thread that the Curve is theoretically upgradeable since it uses a Rev.A capable chipset. Whether they will upgrade it remains to be seen - my guess is no, so that when the Bold and Thunder come out they can boast higher data speeds.

Still, it's only what, a 20% difference in ideal conditions?
    07-04-08 02:37 PM
    Rev-A is marginally faster on download speeds but significantly faster on uploads. Unless you are tethering, neither will mater on a blackberry.

However the speed gain of Rev-0 over EDGE is significant and useful on a blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-08 03:45 PM
    evdo (Verizon) is significantly faster than edge (ATT and TMobile). The new 3g bold will be slightly faster the Verizon currently offers for BB. However, Verizon has far better coverage with evdo than att does with its 3g offering. The difference is more important for data cards for laptops. BB data is compressed at the server to use less bandwidth, which limiting the impact of 3g on the handset.
    07-07-08 11:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD