So my Garmin Nuvi crapped out on me. I am waiting for Garmin to send me the restore DVD. In the mean time I have signed up for the VZNavigator service. I haven't tried to use it yet but will get a chance to in the next week.

I am thinking that if I like it I will probably sell the Nuvi and keep the subscrition.

So who else use the VZNavigator as their only GPS?

Pros/Cons
    11-06-08 10:48 AM
    11-06-08 10:54 AM
    i do! i have used it as my only GPS for over 3 years. i love it! it's so portable!

i use it on the many road trips i take. But it's nice that it's right on my phone for when i travel by plane.

i use it for planning trips, searching for hotels in the town i'll be in or along my route and to search for vegetarian restaurants or subways!

i remember the days of only having a map or road atlas. They are good for interstate travel but in town it's a little dangerous and not as easy.

Then came map quest for me and that was useful as well.

Gps is one of my favorite inventions! i love that it re calculated routes if you miss a turn. i used to get so stressed if i got lost in a different city.

The local search is fantastic.

i use Live Search now too on my berry for searches!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-06-08 10:55 AM
    The only con i have found is that if you don't have signal you won't get gps. this only happened to me once, however, on a stretch of road in nowhere arizona.

It only lasted about 5 min and came back

11-06-08 10:57 AM
    Sounds like this could be a good move. Anyone want to trade a Curve for a GPS.
    11-06-08 11:27 AM
    The only con i have found is that if you don't have signal you won't get gps. this only happened to me once, however, on a stretch of road in nowhere arizona.

It only lasted about 5 min and came back

I'll second this. While most of the time it will work very well, there are still locations in the US that you will get either no signal or a signal that won't properly support VZNav's fairly intensive data requirements. I was in Richmond and Charlottesville VA this week, and while things worked fine in Richmond, Charlottesville was a total loss. I could only get a 1X signal (no EVDO), and the "getting GPS" indicator never indicated a lock.

Since Charlottesville is the home of UVA, I was quite surprised. Fortunately it's not a big town, so I wasn't lost for long
    11-06-08 11:26 PM
    I find what I will call RESPONSE TIME lags since data has to be transmitted back/forth while driving. So, if you miss a turn, there's a lag before it realizes you are off route and then starts recalc as it tells VZN where you are, vzn figures out "off-route" and then sends new data. In an urban area this lag can be problematic.

A standalone gps has the maps right there and can immediately recalc the route.

Still it is convenient to have only one device.

Maybe it's me but I was trying to navigate to a place about 200 miles away and it seemed to want to stay LOCAL. I guess I could not figure out how to overcome that and find a hotel point-of-interest 200 miles north. Ideas?
    11-07-08 11:38 AM
    So with a data plan is vz nav free for us berry users?

11-07-08 08:33 PM
    No, it's $9.99 a month.

11-07-08 08:47 PM
    I also have VZNav as my only GPS....I like when I travel that I can use my Nav and not worry about whether my rental car has GPS or if I need to carry a TomTom in my carry-on.

My parents spent $2500 on their Lexus GPS option....for $9.99/mo, my Nav will outlast the money they put into their car and my updates come to my phone OTA & you don't have to pay for updates....my parents' do.
    11-08-08 02:10 AM
    I opted for freedom keychain bluetooth, got it for about 70 bucks. Then spent 100 on garmin for blackberry. No monthly fees. Love the way it works better than my portable gps, plus other programs on blackberry work with it.
    11-08-08 07:15 AM
    I use VZ Nav as my only GPS navigation. Works great as long as I can get a digital signal.

11-08-08 08:16 AM
    i use it as my only one . with the new updates its great. has the pedestrian mode also. sale that garmin
    11-08-08 10:08 AM
    Well I am still in the test phase with VZ Navigator. So far it has been great in testing. Used it to go a didderby way to my girlfriend's and it worked great. Even finding a newer road that my harmin couldn't find.

We will see how the auction goes.

11-09-08 11:30 PM
    i only use it as needed... everytime i need to use i call verizon, they turn it on and once i am done i call them back and turn it off.. i get prorated at 27 cents a day if io wait till the following day to call them back.....
    11-10-08 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD