I've searched high and low and I know how it works (being in IT as is) however I cannot seem to find if tethering through Windows Dial-Up Networking is "legal" on verizon wireless

I pay the monthly charge for tethering and I have been using VZACCESS to tether, but its so bloated and much slower than the Windows Dial-Up Networking tool.

I'd prefer to use the Windows one but only if it is acceptable and legal, I don't feel like being charge/fined for tethering illegally
    03-06-09 08:25 AM
    I'd imagine it would be legal since you subscribe, but one of the several VZW reps that frequent this Forum can tell you for sure. You would need the correct settings, but I'm sure the info is out there.
    03-06-09 08:36 AM
    Well I believe that VZW sees the two streams of data differently.

IE: Blackberry onboard network protocol and the data it transmits when using mms/browser/aim/etc...

and:Tethered data where it is a constant bandwidth provided by VZW using the blackberry as a portal.

People get caught tethering illegally for a multitude of reasons but one of the big ones is that they can monitor high bandwidth usage and see if it is being used in one of the two afformentioned ways. Obviously if the bandwidth is similar to a tethered plan but is coming straight from the BB, there is a problem.

I just want to make sure that if I connect through windows, it will be used the correct way and the data will be sent correctly to verizon in a legal manor
    03-06-09 08:50 AM
    Using the Windows DUN service works the same as VZ Access manager and is legal in Verizons`s eyes. It won't work without the tethering feature anyway so.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 11:49 AM
    I use Windows to connect & avoid the Access Manager - never been a problem here.

03-06-09 02:25 PM
    I am new to the teathering world, what is Windows DUN?
    03-06-09 07:32 PM
    I am new to the teathering world, what is Windows DUN?
    Dial-Up Networking

It is a Windows term, not tethering.

03-06-09 07:48 PM
    DUN is legal and us here in tech support use it as a backdoor whenever VZ Access manager gives us some funky error message (error 913, 678, 901, etc) in order to get customers online to download the latest version of VZAM.

Now from my understanding, and I could be wrong on this, but from a billing stand point using DUN will throw off the VZAM data counter. VZAM will give you your data usage whenvere you log on (versions 6.9 and higher). Say you connect on a DUN in 1 location (work) and then connect thru VZAM at home on a different PC. The VZAM counter may be off. This is why we always try to get our customers to use VZAM. Hate to see them get those $1000 bills cause $0.25 per MB over yur 5gb tethering cap gets to be expensive!!!
    03-06-09 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD