I have VZ Manager downloaded and I am trying to install it so I can tether my storm. Problem is every time it searches for the storm I get an error stating:

A wireless phone was not found. Make sure the data cable is securely plugged into your wireless phone and your computer. Also check to make sure the power to your wireless phone is on and close all other applications that may be using the com port.

Nothing else is connected to my laptop and I cant figure out why it cant find my phone since it is powered on. I do have bb desktop mgr installed. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Merritt; 11-24-08 at 09:33 PM.
    11-24-08 09:20 PM
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software a few times to see if it helped and I DO have the tether pkg.
    11-24-08 09:21 PM
    Do you have the desktop manager installed?
    11-24-08 09:22 PM
    Do you have the desktop manager installed?
    Yes. I also had a aircard from vzw and uninstalled the older version of vzaccess and installed the new one that came with the storm. thx
    11-24-08 09:32 PM
    What kind on computer? PC or MAC, laptop or Desktop? Have rebooted after the install?

This might be a firewall issue as well. Also if a PC check the device manager to see if there are any conflicts
    11-24-08 09:37 PM
    Shutting down and rebooting again. I am wondering if it is a firewall issue as well. How can I check that? It is my laptop pc xp. thx
    11-24-08 09:45 PM
    That didnt work. Now i am uninstalling my desktop mgr and reinstalling it.
    11-24-08 10:39 PM
    That didnt work. Now i am uninstalling my desktop mgr and reinstalling it.
    Your desktop manager doesn't have anything to do with it. VZAccess Manager does not require the Blackberry desktop manager to operate properly.

It sounds like the drivers might not be installing correctly. I've had customers that have had the same problem with different devices.

I would uninstall the software, make sure the drivers are uninstalled too. It wouldn't hurt to check vzam.net to see if there is a newer version available. Not likely since the Storm is new, but ya never know. After everything is uninstalled, then reinstall the most up-to-date version you can find. Do not plug the Storm in until it tells you to plug it in.

Also, whenever I help a customer, I always select "Detect WWAN device only"

If you're still having problems, then I suggest calling tech support at 1-800-922-0204, option 3
    11-24-08 11:27 PM
    Your desktop manager doesn't have anything to do with it. VZAccess Manager does not require the Blackberry desktop manager to operate properly.

It sounds like the drivers might not be installing correctly. I've had customers that have had the same problem with different devices.

I would uninstall the software, make sure the drivers are uninstalled too. It wouldn't hurt to check vzam.net to see if there is a newer version available. Not likely since the Storm is new, but ya never know. After everything is uninstalled, then reinstall the most up-to-date version you can find. Do not plug the Storm in until it tells you to plug it in.

Also, whenever I help a customer, I always select "Detect WWAN device only"

If you're still having problems, then I suggest calling tech support at 1-800-922-0204, option 3
    Thanks for the reply. I am pretty decent on the pc but I am not really sure how to look for and locate the drivers if they are not automatically uninstalled when I do the regular uninstall. Could you tell me how to check? I do have the most current version. Just trying to avoid C.S. thanks!
    11-25-08 12:22 PM
    Anyone? VZ has no clue????
    11-26-08 07:28 PM
    You said you had a Aircard and uninstalled the previous version of the VZ Access Manager, did you uninstall the driver software from the Aircard?
    11-26-08 08:23 PM
    You said you had a Aircard and uninstalled the previous version of the VZ Access Manager, did you uninstall the driver software from the Aircard?
    I have a Verizon air card that I use on my other laptop. I tried to tether to my storm on my new laptop first and it wouldn't recognize my bb.
    11-27-08 08:14 PM
    I have a Verizon air card that I use on my other laptop. I tried to tether to my storm on my new laptop first and it wouldn't recognize my bb.
    12-03-08 05:57 PM
    DId you install the DM for the BB device? If not remove VZAM and install the DM and then install version for your BB device.
    12-03-08 07:21 PM
    Yes, I have done that a few times with no luck. However the drivers are still in folders on my laptop. I am thinking I need to remove them as well. Is it ok to just delete them from the folders if both dm and vzacess are both uninstalled?
    12-03-08 07:27 PM
    Something also comes to mind that there maybe a know issue with on the storm. I do not my work resources with me right now, but you may want to get VZW tech support and have them check into published issues with the device. There maybe a work around.
    12-03-08 07:39 PM
    I even called Panasonic the maker of my laptop. No one could figure it out. I uninstalled dm and vza and installed vza first and it worked perfect then reinstalled dm. I was told to do it the other way earlier. Thanks for all the help guys!
    12-03-08 09:51 PM
    I find that interesting. The DM has the driver and normal install tells us DM first then VZAM software. Good to know this worked for you and I will pass it around to other techs at VZW.
    12-04-08 09:18 PM
    I guess it was a fluke because it wouldnt work again. Problem is that my laptop is not finding my blackberry. After hours on the phone with Verizon with no help even at level 2 and with BB as well as Panasonic I have come to the conclusion that I have to uninstall all the drivers from my laptop and start over except I am unsure how to do that. See what got me to this conclusion is I originally had my curve dm and vz access installed and unistalled then installed for the storm. I am assuming some curve drivers didnt uninstall and its now confusing the laptop. How and where do I need to uninstall the drivers. Thanks!
    12-07-08 11:25 PM
    when you use the storm as a modem do you have to pay extra on your monthly plan?? pr is it included i have the 29.99 BIS data plana
    12-07-08 11:33 PM
    when you use the storm as a modem do you have to pay extra on your monthly plan?? Page Ranking is it included i have the 29.99 BIS data plana
    yes. its 15- to tether.
    12-07-08 11:38 PM
    Is your Panasonic Laptop yours, or has it been issued to you by your company? I have the same problem... it seems to affect everyone in my company. Something is using the COM port?
    02-16-09 11:01 PM
    I have VZ Manager downloaded and I am trying to install it so I can tether my storm. Problem is every time it searches for the storm I get an error stating:

A wireless phone was not found. Make sure the data cable is securely plugged into your wireless phone and your computer. Also check to make sure the power to your wireless phone is on and close all other applications that may be using the com port.

Nothing else is connected to my laptop and I cant figure out why it cant find my phone since it is powered on. I do have bb desktop mgr installed. Any help is appreciated.
    Here are a few hints:
    1. You do not need the BlackBerry desktop manager installed on your computer. This software has nothing to do with Bluetooth access to your storm.
    2. Download the most recent Verizon Access Manager for the storm and your operating system vzam.net. I could not connect until I upgraded my version of VZ Access Manager.
    3.Go to VZ Access Manager and run the wizard

You should be good to go.

If not make sure that your storm is communicating with your computer. Go to control panel and access the Phone and Modems. - In the Modems tab you should see a new entry that says something like "Standard Modem over Bluetooth link" - click on that modem and then click on properties. - Click on the Diagnostics tab and click on Query modem. If you see activity you know that the Storm is talking to the computer via the Bluetooth connection.

If you have not gotten this far then your problem is with the basic Bluetooth connection and not access manager.
    02-25-09 07:50 AM
    I have had this issue with 2 Storms not able to connect when trying to use tethering. I deinstalled the old Verizon Air Card program, installed Desktop Manager and that worked fine. Installed VZ Access and the program cannot find the phone. Repaired the Desktop Manager software, the program asks for a reboot. When the computer comes back up, then VZ Access can find the phone and finish the install. I will add to this post if I find something else but this seems to work. I hope this saves someone hours of troubleshooting.
    03-03-09 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD