08-08-08 09:42 PM
53 123
tools
    Ok, thanks.

yesterday and today are my days off, so I'll keep looking tomorrow when I get back to work and caught up.
    04-07-08 01:12 PM
    I ran into the same issue running Vista SP1. I believe the VZAccess manager does not work with Vista SP1 but they don't know it yet. When I installed the VZAccess manager it broke the Vista firewall and uninstall does not bring it back you need to do a system restore to the point before installing VZAccess manager. Not sure who to contact to report this problem. I had VZAccess manager either 6.2 or 6.5 installed and running before SP1 I installed SP1 seem to still work atleast didn't break my firewall. I happen to upgrade my phone from 7130e to 8130 so I updated the VZAccess manager and that is when it broke.
    04-08-08 11:40 AM
    I ran into the same issue running Vista SP1. I believe the VZAccess manager does not work with Vista SP1 but they don't know it yet. When I installed the VZAccess manager it broke the Vista firewall and uninstall does not bring it back you need to do a system restore to the point before installing VZAccess manager. Not sure who to contact to report this problem. I had VZAccess manager either 6.2 or 6.5 installed and running before SP1 I installed SP1 seem to still work atleast didn't break my firewall. I happen to upgrade my phone from 7130e to 8130 so I updated the VZAccess manager and that is when it broke.
    Thanks for the information.

The one thing I can tell you for sure is that its not specifcly SP1 on Vista.

As I stated earlier, on Saturday I updated my PC to SP1 and was unable to recreate the issue.

I do think the update to SP1 is part of the problem but I don't think its the only thing.

If you can please look back at my earlier posts, I asked for some details on the PC's having issues. If you could post that along with what security software you have installed that would be helpful.

@SK1 - I just thought of something, maybe its an issue with a early version of the SP1 update. Where as my update was just downloaded on Saturady.

Thanks
    04-08-08 12:40 PM
    @SK1 - I just thought of something, maybe its an issue with a early version of the SP1 update. Where as my update was just downloaded on Saturady.
    JDragon, it could be. My SP1 update was the full update. I want to say it was about 400MB.
    04-08-08 12:44 PM
    JDragon, it could be. My SP1 update was the full update. I want to say it was about 400MB.
    I did the update from MS's website, it was a 400+mb download.

What I was thinking though was that if you did yours right after it was made availble vs me just doing it could maybe have done something.

I know back when SP2 first came out for XP and I installed it, it almost killed my laptop. I had to uninstall it and wait about a month before I tried again.

Just a couple thoughts.

BTW - I dropped you a PM with an idea.
    04-08-08 12:57 PM
    Specs Vista Ultimate SP1 on Dell Latitude D830, I installed the Full SP1 update on 3/25/2008. At the time I had VZAccess manager installed already and didn't have the firewall issue. AV only Nod32 v3 (not the suite).

Bought a new phone 8130 Pearl on 4/4/2008 4/5/2008 I uninstalled VZAccess mgr to install 6.5 that is when I first noticed the problem, then found 6.7 updated still had the problem. Uninstalled doesn't fix need to do a system restore from the point before installing VZAccess manager.

Installed VZAccess 6.7 fresh reboot breaks firewall uninstall doesn't fix have to do a system restore, now a little frustrated. Is their another way to tether the 8130?
    04-10-08 04:16 PM
    Just noticed that SK1 and I are both using Nod32, SK1 what version of Nod32 are you using?
    04-10-08 04:20 PM
    Just noticed that SK1 and I are both using Nod32, SK1 what version of Nod32 are you using?
    NOD32 version 3.0.621.0

Give me a bit, I'm try to get you information on how to tether without VZAcess Manager. I know it's possible because I have done it. Let me check out my settings.
    04-10-08 04:37 PM
    OK, try doing a dial up connection. The number to dial is #777 The user name is: Yourtendigitphonenumber@vzw3g.com The password: Yourtendigitnumber

I am uploading VZAccess Manager version 6.2.1.1725a Providing you have installed Desktop Manager for your BlackBerry you should have the drivers installed.

EDIT: Here is the link to VZAccess Manager version 6.2.1.1725a
    Last edited by SK1; 04-10-08 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added link
    04-10-08 04:48 PM
    The BlackBerry installs a standard modem so my assumptions is setup a DUN using the standard modem and information provided, I will try it when I get home.

If the setup works without VZAccess Manager then I shouldn't need the 6.2 version? I was with you up to the point you uploaded the VZAccess, is that to try if the manual way doesn't work?

Thanks for the quick reply.
    04-10-08 05:31 PM
    I was with you up to the point you uploaded the VZAccess, is that to try if the manual way doesn't work?
    Yes, sir! The version I uploaded is what I use for my 8830.
    04-10-08 05:33 PM
    So you found that when you install VZAccess v6.2 on vista SP1 that your firewall still works?
    04-10-08 05:47 PM
    So you found that when you install VZAccess v6.2 on vista SP1 that your firewall still works?
    That is what I originally had. When I went and did the upgrade to the newer version is when I had the firewall issues.
    04-10-08 06:01 PM
    Well I didn't succeed with the manual setup, so I installed VZAccess v6.2 it broke the firewall, then when I did the uninstall then system restore my firewall didn't come back this time.
    04-10-08 09:32 PM
    Well I didn't succeed with the manual setup, so I installed VZAccess v6.2 it broke the firewall, then when I did the uninstall then system restore my firewall didn't come back this time.
    Oh man. Did you do an earlier restore point?
    04-11-08 12:13 AM
    I did but not early enough it seem, I went back to a restore point a few hours before when I uninstalled an old java and that worked.

The VZAccess left behind the NationalAccess - BrodbandAccess dial up connection I tried using it directly to connect but it doesn't appear to find the Pearl when dialing? Any suggestions?
    04-11-08 09:21 AM
    I did but not early enough it seem, I went back to a restore point a few hours before when I uninstalled an old java and that worked.

The VZAccess left behind the NationalAccess - BrodbandAccess dial up connection I tried using it directly to connect but it doesn't appear to find the Pearl when dialing? Any suggestions?
    I'm out of ideas. Sorry. I'll look through out the web and see if I can find anything out. Call VZW tech support and open up a trouble ticket.
    04-11-08 11:15 AM
    Ok, one of my co-workers actually got a call on this finally and is going to get a ticket done for the issue.

When I have some info I'll pass it on.
    04-11-08 11:37 AM
    FYI - Manual Connections using your BB as a Modem.

# to Dial: #777

Username: MTN@vzw3g.com

Password: vzw
    04-11-08 12:00 PM
    The problem is the std modem that was created by RIM to use with the Pearl is not recognizing the device. When I try dialing it times out waiting for a response from the 8130. Is their any settings I need to adjust? I am have it connected to the laptop by the USB cable. Works fine with the Desktop manager which I don't have running when I try to connect.
    04-11-08 01:06 PM
    Finally figured it out it seems if you want to manually connect without the VZAccess software you need the BB Desktop running then you can connect and it will find device.

In the past when I was using VZAccess it told me to exit the BB Desktop software. So I assumed that I would need the BB Desktop Mgr closed when trying to connect manually using the Std modem.

I am at work connect to the LAN so I will fully test it when I leave but it was the first time I received a successful connection since trying this.
    04-11-08 03:45 PM
    Good to hear! Let us know the final outcome!
    04-11-08 04:11 PM
    It worked!!

So the VZAccess keeps breaking the Vista SP1 firewall on my Dell Latitude D830.

Used the information to manually setup the tether connection using the information in this forum User: 10digitcellnumber@vzw3g.com
    Pwd: I can't remember if vzw or my 10digitcellnumber, I believe I used vzw
    Dial Number: #777

When I uninstalled the VZAccess it left behind the DUN it created so I worked off that with the above information worked like a charm once I left the BB Desktop mgr running.
    04-11-08 09:19 PM
    VZ Access Manager v6.7.3_2010e breaking Vista firewall. Another set of specs below to help the trouble shooting - Good luck! Rolling back to earlier restore point fixed the problem, leaving me with old version of VZ Access for now.

So I can look in to it at work can you give me some info?

Windows Version? Vista Home Premium

Service Pack? SP1 - manually downloaded from MS and 400MB installed
    Working Version of VZAccess?
    (in VZaccess go to Help > About - its up toward the top in the gray.)
    v6.2.1 (1725a)

Version of Blackberry Desktop Manager?
    Help > About
    v4.2.2.12 (Mar 19 2007)

When did you download the updated VZAccess?
    May 1, 2008 from Verizon site

Did you save then install or run from the website?
    Saved to desktop, then installed

Hardware: Dell XPS M1330

Sorry for all the ?'s, but this will help me get the info to someone that may be able to fix it.

JD
    05-07-08 10:49 AM
    Duanep,

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on.

What if any security SW are you running as well?

Thanks
    05-07-08 04:56 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD