08-08-08 09:42 PM
53 123
tools
    So I just downloaded Verizon's latest version of VZAccess 6.7.3 to use my Blackberry as a modem for my laptop, and when I rebooted my computer it's telling me the Firewall is off and can't be turned back on. It says "Security Center can't turn on Windows Firewall", and I can't do it manually either. Help! It was working fine with the previous version of the software. Anyone else having issues? Or answers?

Also, is VZAcess the best thing to use in order to utilize my Blackberry as a modem for my laptop?
    04-02-08 05:49 PM
    Duplicate post. You only need to make one post.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/fir...trouble-27584/
    04-02-08 06:11 PM
    Ok, couple things.

Uninstall the VZaccess Manager & reboot.
    Is the computer having the same issue?
    If it is, then VZaccess is not the problem.
    If it doesn't have the problem, redownload the SW, save to the computer, then install.
    If problem returns, uninstall again and post here.

For a tethered connection you do not have to have VZAccess installed, you can just build a DUN and put the correct settings in. You still need the correct feature on your account and if you ever have problems you have to have VZaccess installed and "using it" for VZW to trouble shoot it.

Settings....
    # to dial: #777
    Username: MTN@vzw3g.com (MTN = your phone #, 10 digits no dashes)
    Password: vzw
    Domain: You can leave blank

Hope this helps.
    04-02-08 06:19 PM
    Ok, now I'm stumped. I did as you suggested, JDragon, and uninstalled the program. The firewall is still off. However, before installing the latest version, both the previous version and the firewall worked fine. So while the problem persists without the software, I can't help but think it's still the cause of the problem. So what should I do? I'm using the USB cable, but should I reinstall the program or do it the other way you suggested? Not sure though how to "build a DUN", so any help is again appreciated

Also, when I try to start the Firewall manually, it says "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start the Windows Firewall service?", and when I click YES, it says "Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service".
    Last edited by sdseagles; 04-02-08 at 08:58 PM.
    04-02-08 08:49 PM
    Well the first thing I would do is resolve your firewall issue.

Connecting to the internet without security can be a bad thing.

One thing you may want to try is a system restore to a date back before you updated the VZAccess. I would really suggest calling your PC manufacturer or hitting up a friend that can help you in person or over the phone.

What version of Windows are you running? Do you know what Service Pack you have?

As for the DUN, thats a Dial Up Network connection, it should be easy to Google instructions on how to set it up.

JD
    04-02-08 09:12 PM
    Thanks bro! System restore did the trick! I'll just continue using the prior version of VZAccess for now, until I can reach someone with Verizon. Thanks for all your input!
    04-02-08 09:28 PM
    So I can look in to it at work can you give me some info?

Windows Version?

Service Pack?

Working Version of VZAccess?
    (in VZaccess go to Help > About - its up toward the top in the gray.)

Version of Blackberry Desktop Manager?
    Help > About

When did you download the updated VZAccess?

Did you save then install or run from the website?

Sorry for all the ?'s, but this will help me get the info to someone that may be able to fix it.

JD
    04-02-08 10:35 PM
    JD, I haven't had time to look into your questions above, but I will tonight or tomorrow. But I thought you, and others, would be interested in seeing how helpful Verizon was:

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are sorry to learn
    that you are having difficulty with your PC after the update. We are happy to
    assist you with your question.

We do apologize for any inconvenience. At this time we did not find any
    resolution in our Knowledge Base. Upon further research on the internet, this
    seems to be a Windows Vista issue and we are unable to support it because it is
    out of our scope of support. You may want to contact Microsoft at (800)
    MICROSOFT (642-7676).

If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again through Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

It's amazing how it's always someone else's fault. Especially since everything was working fine before installing the update. Hmmm
    04-03-08 06:43 PM
    Well thats what you get from a website/program. :-(

For real TS you need a person that can think for themselves and look at everything involved. :-) (a person that has a clue helps alot in this part too)

I can tell you I have seen lots & lots of situations where a user swears up & down that the problem is on VZW's side, but when fully TS and investigated it was their PC or the OS or Antivirus, etc.

I'm not going to say either way at this point since I don't have all the info.
    04-03-08 06:58 PM
    Ok, FWIW - I just did a test at work

I took an XP Machine and installed the new VZaccess for a 8130 Pearl.

Prior to installing I had another version of VZAccess (For an aircard) installed, which I had to uninstall. I also made sure the Windows Firewall was on and working.

I downloaded the SW from our site and installed it. Rebooted, ran wizard and connected. Verified the FW was on and working.

So who knows, I just wanted to see what it would do on another PC.
    04-03-08 07:40 PM
    See what happens with Vista
    04-04-08 10:21 AM
    I'll fill in the blanks since I had the same issue.

So I can look in to it at work can you give me some info?

Windows Version? Vista Home Premium

Service Pack? SP1

Working Version of VZAccess? 6.2.1 (1725a)
    (in VZaccess go to Help > About - its up toward the top in the gray.)

Version of Blackberry Desktop Manager?
    Help > About 4.3.0.15 (Aug 15 2007)

When did you download the updated VZAccess? 4-2-08

Did you save then install or run from the website? Saved on desktop

Sorry for all the ?'s, but this will help me get the info to someone that may be able to fix it.

JD
    04-04-08 01:50 PM
    SK1, thanks for the info.

So your issue was exactly the same as the OP?

Ok, I notice you have SP 1 for Vista installed. When did you install it & do you know for sure that the Firewall was working fine after the update to SP1 on Vista?

i'm not trying to shift blame here, just trying to get all the facts so I can figure whats causing the problem.

I'm going to test again on a Vista machine today.
    04-04-08 02:04 PM
    Same issue as the OP. I installed SP1 on 3/24/08 The firewall was working fine. I ran a test today. I did a system restore to back when the firewall was working. Manually did a restore point since it was working properly. Reinstalled the new VZAccess Manager. Rebooted and the firewall issue came back. I had to once again do a system restore, this time to the manual point and all is working fine. I hope this helps!

Uno
    04-04-08 02:16 PM
    Same issue as the OP. I installed SP1 on 3/24/08 The firewall was working fine. I ran a test today. I did a system restore to back when the firewall was working. Manually did a restore point since it was working properly. Reinstalled the new VZAccess Manager. Rebooted and the firewall issue came back. I had to once again do a system restore, this time to the manual point and all is working fine. I hope this helps!

Uno
    Yes, very much!!!

Thanks for posting the details.

I'm going to keep looking in to it on my side and will keep everyone updated best I can.
    04-04-08 03:01 PM
    Ok all,

I just tested this on my personal Tablet, running Vista Home Premium.

No problems. :-)

I've talked to a few people here and I'm still digging at this but wanted to see if I could get some more info.

Can anyone that has had this issue give me details on the error messages you get once the problem starts?

Or if its still on going get me some screen shots of the errors?

Thanks
    04-04-08 04:59 PM
    I can't do it now. If I have time this weekend I'll replicate the error message and post some screen shots.

Thanks for looking into this.

Uno
    04-04-08 05:06 PM
    Works for me.

Or if you just remember the basics of the error message that will give me some where to start.

I'm going to update my computer to SP 1 tonight and then try again tomorrow and see what happens.

I don't have SP1 or BBDM installed on my PC since I don't have a BB yet. (waiting for the Curve) So I'll just keep trying things till I've eliminated everything or figure it out. (This is one of the things I like about my job)
    04-04-08 05:18 PM
    Works for me.

Or if you just remember the basics of the error message that will give me some where to start.

I'm going to update my computer to SP 1 tonight and then try again tomorrow and see what happens.

I don't have SP1 or BBDM installed on my PC since I don't have a BB yet. (waiting for the Curve) So I'll just keep trying things till I've eliminated everything or figure it out. (This is one of the things I like about my job)
    I'm going to do a video instead. lol The basics are what the OP posted. How it could not open the firewall settings.
    04-04-08 06:16 PM
    JDragon, here is a link to the recordings of my desktop step. Let me know if you need any other information.

VZAccess Manager install Video
    04-05-08 02:14 PM
    SK,

The videos are perfect. Thanks for taking the time to put them together.

I'm about to do the SP 1 update and then try it again to see if its a conflict due to the SP1 update.

I'll post later what happened.

Thanks again.
    04-05-08 02:52 PM
    UPDATE

I completed the update to SP1 on my PC then installed the 6.7.3 VZAM for RIM.

Rebooted PC / firewall is still fine.

I'm not sure what else to do here.

Not giving up yet, just taking a step back to get a fresh look at it.

The only thing I can think of right now is some kinda conflict with other SW on the PC, but not sure.
    04-05-08 04:13 PM
    UPDATE

I completed the update to SP1 on my PC then installed the 6.7.3 VZAM for RIM.

Rebooted PC / firewall is still fine.

I'm not sure what else to do here.

Not giving up yet, just taking a step back to get a fresh look at it.

The only thing I can think of right now is some kinda conflict with other SW on the PC, but not sure.
    Let's add to the equation that I use a Sony Vaio VGN-AR320E.
    04-06-08 01:25 AM
    What if any other security software do you have?

Thats the biggest thing I see cause problems.
    04-06-08 01:40 AM
    What if any other security software do you have?

Thats the biggest thing I see cause problems.
    NOD32, Spybot seach and Destroy. Windows Defender. All I can think of right now.
    04-06-08 02:43 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD