I got a call back from VZ regarding my earlier post (Upgrade thread).

VZ said that I am a week shy of my 1 year... so I am eligible for a refurb replacement.

I have 2 questions (maybe they don't belong in this forum)...

First: Are these Refurbs decent? I have had both good and bad experiences with refurbs... but none with VZ. Do I have anything to worry about? Just needs to tide me over until Apr of next year. I do put my devices through its paces... I use it for work, personal, web, games, etc. Thoughts?

Second: I ran the backup through the Blackberry Desktop manager. If/When I get my new device... Can I run the restore and get back all my themes, games, applications, etc? if not... any way I can back these all up and reinstall them on the new device?

Quick responses appreciated... I will need to get there (VZ Store) today if I am going to do this.
    08-14-09 11:34 AM
    1. Refurbs are decent. Most are returned within 30 days and are then sent out as refurbs/certified like new replacements. They go through a 100 point inspection(as I've been told) so they are decent.
    2. You can restore the majority of that. Some applications are linked to the phone's pin so you may have to redownload some but emails,pics,txts,bbm's, contacts.
    08-14-09 11:39 AM
    Blue and bold has pretty much nailed it on the head.

I have had great luck with the Verizon replacement devices, and I would not worry about them.

Make sure you have done a full back up of the device and if you have 3rd party apps you will want to back them up as well which is different then a regular back up.
    08-14-09 11:43 AM
    How do I back up the 3rd party Apps?

I know I should search the forums for that... but I am in a hurry... sorry.
    08-14-09 11:47 AM
    08-14-09 11:50 AM
    And only 30% of those CLNR orders are actual defects. The rest have nothing wrong at all.. for example: rep replaces a phone because the user cannot text more than 140 characters... yes it has happened.
    08-14-09 01:31 PM
    And only 30% of those CLNR orders are actual defects. The rest have nothing wrong at all.. for example: rep replaces a phone because the user cannot text more than 140 characters... yes it has happened.
    Rep replaces phone because the phone won't save cuss words in the phones vocabulary... unfortunately yes, thats happened
    08-14-09 01:43 PM
    Reps replace phones cause they hate STI - and that affects me dang it
    08-14-09 01:50 PM
    There is such a consensus about it... personally, I think the Certified Like New's are in better shape... they go through more testing than a phone off the production line.. ( most of the time ) and I've never had issues with them ever.
    But then there are people like my boyfriend who seems to have the karma fairy on his shoulder when it comes to the CLNR's that he's had causing him no end of problems.
    08-14-09 02:17 PM
    True! And every customer will say "oh somethings wrong with it cuz its a used phone" I hate that. I usually have customer's hard reset their fru's if they have just got them, just for good measure.
    08-14-09 02:34 PM
    Well, they get a bad wrap, but have your ever GOTTEN one? They send you a list of all the tests performed... do you get that from the maker when you get a new one?
    Besides w/ blackberries... most of the issues are just transfered with the restore.. thats why I make em do an advanced backup with just contacts and calender... so those s/w bugs DONT tsfr.
    08-14-09 02:51 PM
    Yeah we recently replaced my gf's pearl. Came with a backdoor and works flawless, no scratches looks brand new.
    08-14-09 03:07 PM
    Wow... I have been "lurking" on CB for a year... registered last month... and just posted today. Don't know why I never did before.

Thanks all! I did the back-up, went to the store, switched out for the refurb... and just got done restoring all my apps and re-registering with my company's BIS.

This place is great! I don't care what the people over at Apple said about you... you are good peoples!
    08-14-09 03:13 PM
    Apple can burn in h*ll.
    08-14-09 03:16 PM
    Refurbs are usually decent. I've had a few and didn't have too many issues
    08-14-09 08:34 PM
    I've had my refurb for a week and it works great, the sad thing is when I got the first " brand new curve from the store " it was a defect so I brought it back and got another new in the box curve as a replacement. Well that one had a serious software flaw, now this refurb is so much better then any of the brand new ones in sealed boxes. Plus the VZW corporate store tech rep...I think he was or some big boss man..well he gave me a free refurb. I tried to give him a tip, he turned it down. I love VZW!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-09 05:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD