04-06-10 03:48 PM
77 1234
tools
    ya for real this new version sucks, soo confusing to navigate and the adds while searching are rediculous. I need to get the previous version back. I think i might have the cod in a backup i made with bbsak previous to updating so i am going to try deleting it off my phone and loading that up and see what happens. If it works, i can send you the file if you want...
    I think I will take you up on your offer for the cod file. Thanks.
    02-17-10 09:56 AM
    What about this new version do you guys not like? i think it's great! No features were taken away, and new ones were added. It's also much faster and more POIs seems to have been added!
    02-17-10 11:25 AM
    It appears this version of VZ Nav works great with trackball/pad devices just fine. I do not seem to be able to access all the features with my Storm. It looks nicer, but more steps are required to accomplish the same tasks.

The problems I am having are documented in this thread.
    02-17-10 06:12 PM
    What about this new version do you guys not like? i think it's great! No features were taken away, and new ones were added. It's also much faster and more POIs seems to have been added!
    I'm not loading the new one until it is released through VZW. I refuse to mess with my warranty if something happens if I load from another source. Screw that ****. Oh, my tour is working fine and the new nav is cool. It was working fine prior to upgrading to 5.1 VZ Nav. I had loaded a couple of new games just two days prior with no issues.
    02-18-10 01:08 AM
    My update came through Verizon. Where else would we get it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 06:42 AM
    Yup. The updated VZ Nav is officially from VZW. i've never heard of a leaked version...

02-18-10 06:54 AM
    How do I uninstall VZ Nav 5? It's not listed in my third party apps.
    02-20-10 12:46 PM
    That may be your problem. An incomplete install. It should be listed in Option-Advanced Options-Applications.

Try:
    Highlight VZ Nav Icon
    Menu
    Delete

If that doesn't work, hook your BlackBerry up to your PC and remove it with BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife (BBSAK).

02-20-10 12:49 PM
    Did you get VZ Nav 5 working? Downgrade? Or just delete altogether?

How do I uninstall VZ Nav 5? It's not listed in my third party apps.
    02-22-10 03:33 PM
    Did you get VZ Nav 5 working? Downgrade? Or just delete altogether?
    I did delete v5 & went back to v4. I then decided to give v5 another shot. I still have the same problems as the first time, so I'm going to go back to v4. There are just too many glitches.
    02-23-10 07:49 PM
    You bailed just in time? From what? A great navigation production?
    02-25-10 09:46 AM
    You bailed just in time? From what? A great navigation production?
    x2.. now that I figured out how to use the 5.1 Nav, This is by far the best GPS out there!
    02-25-10 10:50 AM
    i've found that people who say "OMG VZW Nav sucks" have never used it. They are just offended by the monthly fee in general. Besides that, i haven't read any specific complaints about the navigator itself. At least not that all navs don't suffer from.

But, as i've discussed it's actually the same pricing for Garmin Mobile and a far superior GPS app!

@spookyBooberry, i think you misunderstood the content of the thread. Most of us posted in here because the new version is set up slightly different than the old, and we were figuring out where all the options moved to. Took me a few days too. i thought Trip Summary was missing at first, but was user error of course. It takes some time to figure out something new!

02-26-10 07:03 AM
    I have a Tour 9630. My Navigator shows as version 4.1.0. when i click check for updates it says there there are none available??
    Also, my OS is 4.7.1.61 do I need to update that also.
    I hope my questions don't sound to ignorant. I am asking you guys before I dig for the answers.
    Diana
    02-28-10 01:56 PM
    The update option within the VZ Nav never seems to work. Try the link below for your Tour.

VZ Navigator 5.1.0

You get to the VZ Navigator download link by going to VZ Today, clicking on Get Apps, then VZ Navigator.

The new version is really good.

As far as your OS, you have the latest OS that was released by VZW. Other carriers have approved an OS 5.0 that you could load onto your BlackBerry. Keep in mind you need to backup your device data before attempting this because you could potentially erase all your data and/or brick your BlackBerry. There are threads on here for updating your OS. Make sure you are confident you can do the upgrade before you get into it.

02-28-10 03:07 PM
    I have a Tour 9630. My Navigator shows as version 4.1.0. when i click check for updates it says there there are none available??
    Also, my OS is 4.7.1.61 do I need to update that also.
    I hope my questions don't sound to ignorant. I am asking you guys before I dig for the answers.
    Diana
    another option is to uninstall VZ Nav. Reboot your phone, and re-register the phone again, and the new VZ Navigator pops back up by itself on your phone since its pushed by Verizon.
    02-28-10 03:11 PM
    How to downgrade to VZ Navigator V4 from VZ Navigator V5

1. Go to VZNavigator. com, Click on How to Download VZ Navigator. Then Click on Your BlackBerry(All BlackBerry Devices)

2. Go to the bottom of the page and click the ALX

3. Extract the ALX package

4. Hook up your BlackBerry to your computer

5. Run BlackBerry Desktop Manager

6. Add/Remove Programs

7. Browser the ALX package for your model and select the ALX file

8. VZ Navigator will populate Version 4.X.XX

9. Click next to downgrade

10. If doesn't populate, Go back to your phone and Launch VZ Navigator 'Sync with Web'

11. Then Delete VZ Navigator either from you phone or from BlackBerry Desktop Manager

12. After VZ Navigator is removed connect your Blackberry to BlackBerry Desktop Manager

13. Repeat steps 6 through 9

6. Add/Remove Programs

7. Browser the ALX package for your model and select the ALX file

8. VZ Navigator will populate Version 4.X.XX

9. Click next to downgrade

Goodluck! Already did it on my BlackBerry Tour!
    03-05-10 12:53 AM
    I'm usually one who jumps on new software; figuring it's an upgrade. Well, after several months of using the 5.1 version, I've concluded it is a step backwards for Verizon's proprietary nav app.

First, unlike the 4.1 version, the newer version requires more visual interaction with the device thru the menu system. For example, when in route on the old version, you could easily use the mouse pad to go to the subsequent turns to better anticipate what's coming. On the 5.1 version, you must click the mouse and then select the turn list and click on the turn you want to hear from the list. If you're older with not the greatest reading eyes, this is a safety issue and just inconvenient.

Next, the voice instruction occurs far too late causing you to nearly miss turns and sometimes causing abrupt lane changes. Again, a safety issue.

The quirks in the menu system that others have documented are inexcusable for a piece of software that is this widely used. Verizon's product development department should be thoroughly embarrassed; this product was not properly tested.

I'm unfamiliar with TeleNav but understand it's an option with VZW. Can someone do an analysis between the latest version of TeleNav as compared to VZ Nav 5.1?
    03-07-10 09:59 PM
    I'm usually one who jumps on new software; figuring it's an upgrade. Well, after several months of using the 5.1 version, I've concluded it is a step backwards for Verizon's proprietary nav app.

First, unlike the 4.1 version, the newer version requires more visual interaction with the device thru the menu system. For example, when in route on the old version, you could easily use the mouse pad to go to the subsequent turns to better anticipate what's coming. On the 5.1 version, you must click the mouse and then select the turn list and click on the turn you want to hear from the list. If you're older with not the greatest reading eyes, this is a safety issue and just inconvenient.

Next, the voice instruction occurs far too late causing you to nearly miss turns and sometimes causing abrupt lane changes. Again, a safety issue.

The quirks in the menu system that others have documented are inexcusable for a piece of software that is this widely used. Verizon's product development department should be thoroughly embarrassed; this product was not properly tested.

I'm unfamiliar with TeleNav but understand it's an option with VZW. Can someone do an analysis between the latest version of TeleNav as compared to VZ Nav 5.1?
    I agree on some of your points. However, V4 for the BB was not stellar either. It would give me a route and then recalculate the route when I followed the directions. In addition, it was missing the "speak" function and, in general, the maps were ugly. I also have not noticed the issue with the delay on the nav instructions.

Clearly they dropped the ball on that one quirk to delete one favorite. However, I give the core product with navigation and recalc a thumbs up. As I said previously, having the product use the bluetooth audio settings is huge plus. I have not taken it on a major trip...that is coming up and will report back when I have the opportunity to really test it.

Entering an address is much easier, the search function seems to work faster. The product needs a few tweaks, I'm sure updates are already in development.
    03-09-10 10:59 PM
    i've used the new VZ Navigation to go across the state 3 times and it works great! It's really quick. No one is forcing you to use it, Spook. If you like another GPS better use it!

The "can't delete one Favorite" is really a non issue.

03-14-10 10:25 AM
    I use my navigator every day for work finding customer houses but have a question about either version. I used to have Navigator on my old Razor and when I previously looked up a location in any given city, that city would be populated in a new search when I'd enter at least the 1st letter of that city.

Unless I missed something on my Tour version 4.1.0, there isn't an option to do this (which I REALLY miss). Is this available on the new version 5? Thanks for your help.
    03-14-10 11:54 AM
    hmmmm , have you had time to really test it since you posted this ?

<------ kinda conflicts with whats posted above
    No I haven't taken it on a major trip of 1000 miles or more. But it doesn't really matter what I think of the product, you have to like it.

There is no conflict here. I have used the search engine to navigate to POI. I have tested using roads I know very well to force recalculations to see if it can get another accurate route.

As chrisy said above, no one is forcing you to use it. You can try Life In Pocket...it's a freeware beta product.
    Last edited by i7guy; 03-14-10 at 12:31 PM.
    03-14-10 12:29 PM
    I use my navigator every day for work finding customer houses but have a question about either version. I used to have Navigator on my old Razor and when I previously looked up a location in any given city, that city would be populated in a new search when I'd enter at least the 1st letter of that city.

Unless I missed something on my Tour version 4.1.0, there isn't an option to do this (which I REALLY miss). Is this available on the new version 5? Thanks for your help.
    Look in Recents list. All your recent searches will be saved there. Or just start typing an address. Any Recent, Saved Favorite address will start to populate. At least in VZ Nav 5.0 they do.

03-14-10 04:57 PM
    i'll have to try LifeInPocket. i read a bit about it!

03-15-10 06:56 AM
    i think the new update is very cool but i do have 2 things i dont like..it use to have 2d and 3d view along with dashboard view..now it no longer has dashboard view.i find it a little harder this way..and i dont like the delete all thingy when you want to delete a address..this will take me a little more time to understand.but overall i love this navigator .
    03-27-10 05:22 PM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD