09-18-08 09:00 PM
69 123
tools
    The person that posted they downloaded at 6am may have a 8830 if the profile is correct.

Perhaps the 8830 is getting 4.0 and not the Curve? That would seem silly but...

09-18-08 09:30 AM
    Are you sure you got Tech Support or Customer Service. THere have been several notification about the release internally I have read. As for all reps knowing nothing that is complete BS. I am one and use a blackberry. I know several reps that are even most likely better than I.

So this is bad statement on your part as you appear to have one bad interaction.

4.0 per the last message I got is to release today. I am sure that servers are being updated and one user here has posted that he got it.

So take a deep breath and it will there for you soon.
    Don't get upset. I am not trying to insult you or Verizon as a company. I actually was speaking to a tech though and was transferred to him after speaking to a customer service rep that stated he knew nothing about Blackberries and wanted to get me to the right person.

I have had dealing in the past with Verizon tech support on other non-BB issues and they have been great, but for the most part my experience has been that they don't really know a lot about smart phones. When my wife had trouble with her LG Env the tech we spoke with was amazing. Solved all of the problems she was having and had her phone working again in just a few minutes (common problem I guess). In contrast I dealt with 5 different techs when I had my Palm Treo and they knew next to nothing about the devise or the services surrounding it. They actually told me repeatedly to click on the Get it Now menu, which the Treo does not have.

I am sure there are a bunch of techs and reps that know quite a bit about smart phones and could possibly solve all my problems in under 60 seconds. However, it has been my unfortunate experience to get the techs that do not know much, aren't willing to admit it and don't want to find someone that can really help me. Although, the fact of the matter is that I come here to resolve my problems before I ever even think about calling a tech.

In the end, I know that the BB users make up a very small number of the overall Verizon customer base and I can understand the techs and reps knowing more about the regular phones than the BBs.
    09-18-08 09:44 AM
    All Blackberries that are capable of VZnav will get 4.0. Why it s not avail for the curve yet I do not know. All I can say it is coming. Today was to be release date, but maybe they are starting with 8830 and then the 8330 and 8130
    09-18-08 09:46 AM
    @lastraid

Being a rep, do you already have 4.0? If so, does the traffic service work well?
    09-18-08 09:50 AM
    "Those guys know absolutely nothing about Blackberries and I should never ever call them again."

This is the upsetting line from your post. Sounds pretty broad to me and yes I do offense. Sorry but I do. Maybe wording it differnetly like the person I spoke with did not know anything about BB's.
    09-18-08 09:50 AM
    @lastraid

Being a rep, do you already have 4.0? If so, does the traffic service work well?
    Actually I do not use VZNAV, I do not have a need at this time, but I do hear from the cusomters that use it that it works well.
    09-18-08 09:52 AM
    @lastraid

being a rep for VZW does not mean they get the updates faster. lol. we have to wait jsut like everyone else!

however i have used VZ NAV for about 3 years and it's great! i had the 4.0 version on my old EnV for about 6 months before i upgraded (and downgraded) to my Blackberry.

the traffic alerts work great! other nice advanced features are events, that one can search for as well as movie times and location.

place messages allows you to send a text message of your location to another wireless user. if that user is with vzw and has the nav then when they open the place message it will load it into the nav! this feature is handy for those of us that are bad at explaining directions to someone! ha

you can also hold many more locations in your favorites list with the 4.0 update and sync them with the vz nav online site!

you can also select a 3D view which shows upcoming street names! the overall look and ease of use is enhanced.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-18-08 at 10:14 AM.
    09-18-08 10:10 AM
    "Those guys know absolutely nothing about Blackberries and I should never ever call them again."

This is the upsetting line from your post. Sounds pretty broad to me and yes I do offense. Sorry but I do. Maybe wording it differnetly like the person I spoke with did not know anything about BB's.
    Since I offended, I apologize. It was not my intention. I was just blowing steam after being a little frustrated with the call.

For the record, I do think that VZW CS reps are the best in just about any industry.
    09-18-08 10:11 AM
    Coming to these forums is like being woken up by an alarm clock. BRRRNNGG! THE NEW NAVIGATOR IS READY!

thanks for letting me know it was out there or I would not have found it.

Someone wake me up with OS 4.5 is out please?

Thanks again,
    Danny
    09-18-08 10:22 AM
    Customer Service at Verizon is a mixed bag. They (Customer Service) are great at helping you out with the common problems in the system and most concerns are resolved in one call. I can't get that anywhere else.

Since moving up to a Blackberry, I have had issues. It seems like - with the emphasis here that it is my observation / opinion - that as I am learning my new device they learning them as well. I could tell at one point the CSR I spoke to was flustered, as she at one point claimed to own a Curve and then later recanted and stated her neighbor at the desk next to her had a Curve. (This was when I was trying to verify when the Nav 4 would be released for the 8830)

You get what you put into each call with CS. If you are clear, to the point, and most importantly NOT RUDE, you will get somewhere. Somewhere, though, tends to reside between getting the info you need and hanging up and calling back again.
    09-18-08 10:56 AM
    Since I offended, I apologize. It was not my intention. I was just blowing steam after being a little frustrated with the call.

For the record, I do think that VZW CS reps are the best in just about any industry.
    Accepted and no hard feelings. I understand venting. I do it myself.
    09-18-08 11:06 AM
    As to the person referring to reps not knowing much about blackberry... I honestly would say you are hitting the forefront of the opposite happening.... To date blackberries have not been a "Sought after" device. Most data reps I know/knew would get windows mobile phones, or just regular phones for their data line.

I believe you get what you get.... some reps like to know everything **Such as myself, i look for knowledge and answers** some reps learn from experience, and if they don't have the blackberry to learn from, it's an "as it's uncovered" basis!

PS. Checking my pearl now for update... but have new OS that isn't verizon released yet so wish me luck!
    09-18-08 11:07 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...d=1#post734092

check out this post! i was missing hitting refresh!

i now have vz Nav 4.1 on my 8330!

EDIT: posted too soon! my download failed!

trying again.
    09-18-08 12:47 PM
    See VZ Nav v4.1.0 released

Prior to download uninstall the old version, I did this and the download installed

09-18-08 01:00 PM
    See VZ Nav v4.1.0 released

Prior to download uninstall the old version, I did this and the download installed

yes, this was my issue as well! very nice!
    09-18-08 01:01 PM
    'Those of you who've successfully downloaded VZ Navigator 4.something, what model Blackberry do you have? I gather that the trick is to uninstall the current version, right? Thanks! Jeanne
    09-18-08 07:24 PM
    uh, duh ... never mind! 'Somehow missed everyone's "Device Model". 'Apologies.
    09-18-08 07:48 PM
    Do not need to remove the old version, however it advisable as I have heard the program runs funny if you do not
    09-18-08 08:30 PM
    Thanks for the courage and support. I had to uninstall 2.9 before downloading 4.1.0; then rebooted. It's working like a charm and I didn't loose my saved locations either. Hooray!
    09-18-08 09:00 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD