09-18-08 09:00 PM
69 123
tools
    There is more to it than just "corporate greed". Just be happy they don't put a Brew platform on your blackberry and lock it down even further
    Ha ha, yes indeed! This is probably a bad time to be a BREW developer. At some point Verizon will have to yield to change if they want to retain customers.

BTW, the GPS unlock gripe is not about VZ Nav, it's about all the other position-aware apps that don't compete with it because they do completely different things.
    09-15-08 12:15 AM
    I was at a VZW store Saturday the 13th and a employee told me 9/18. He even showed me the email on his windoze mobile device

Could be real, maybe not; we'll see on the 18th

Well gang VZ Nav. 4.0 is coming very soon for the 8830, 8310, and 8330. If you like this service it is a lot better than what you have now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-08 09:25 AM
    I was at a VZW store Saturday the 13th and a employee told me 9/18. He even showed me the email on his windoze mobile device

Oh I cannot wait. I went from a LG Dare to my current BB Curve. My only gripe about my Curve is the WACK VZNav. The one on the dare was PHENOMENAL. It had everything from gas prices near my current location to the awesome 3D real time view. THAT real time 3D view is what I miss the most. I can honestly say I didn't need my 600 dollar Garmin when I had VZNav on my Dare. What a relief 4.0 Is around the corner!

Last edited by topherserrano; 09-16-08 at 02:32 PM.
    09-16-08 02:28 PM

I think you may be right about the 18th, stengen. Verizon redid their Blackberry browser homepage, so it could be a sign that VZNav 4.0 is coming very soon.
    09-16-08 03:41 PM
    I like the new look of the BB VZW homescreen. Sure as **** beats the crappy link page they had prior. Two more days! Woo hoo.

09-16-08 04:05 PM
    I like that new home page. Looks a bit like verizons palm home page.

09-16-08 04:10 PM
    Hey the new page is kind of cool, do your icons all line up?

I have news, sport and weather on one line then below that is only get apps which looks misplaced. The next line has connect nav and IM...

S
    09-17-08 12:50 PM
    Hey the new page is kind of cool, do your icons all line up?

I have news, sport and weather on one line then below that is only get apps which looks misplaced. The next line has connect nav and IM...

S
    I have the same issue, have seen other phones that line up fine. I thinhk the font size may have something to do with this. I have tried it yet to see if this has an affect.
    09-17-08 05:10 PM
    I loaded up VZ Nav 4 this morning around 6:00am. It seems a little buggy, though. It couldn't map out addresses from my address book and at first it didn't want to sync up with my favorites online. I also can't view events in my area. (Yet)
    09-18-08 07:47 AM
    Cool. Thanks for the update. Did you reset the device after the install? see if that helps
    09-18-08 07:50 AM
    Also, did the sync with online work after the reboot?

i'm not getting the option to upgrade yet.

09-18-08 07:52 AM
    Chrisy520

Did you check the mobile.vzwapps.com page and try from there?
    09-18-08 07:55 AM
    Chrisy520

Did you check the mobile.vzwapps.com page and try from there?
    No, i'll go there. Was using the upgrade feature in the actual app.

Thanks, lastraid!

EDIT: bugger! It's not there yet! Just the old version.

Are you getting option to upgrade, lastraid?
    Last edited by chrisy520; 09-18-08 at 07:59 AM.
    09-18-08 07:56 AM
    I do not use the application actually, but I do have tech it at work. It is just rolling out today. so maybe you will be able to get it then. I am sure the rollout is over time so the servers will not crash with all D/L of the application
    09-18-08 08:01 AM
    Going to mobile.vzapp.com and clicking on the VZ Nav icon gets you the old version.

If you happen to get the banner ad for VZ Nav that takes you to a newer page but is only for the 8830. Arrrg I have a Curve 8330

What will VZW come up with next to keep everyone wondering WHY
    09-18-08 08:05 AM
    So what happens if I try to download the update to my curve anyway???
    09-18-08 08:18 AM
    THis update adds many features to the old VZNAV. You can go to Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless and search for the navigator and see the features of 4.0.

If you try now and only have the link for 2.9 and you are using this, it should just reinstall your current version. It is coming so just keep looking.
    Last edited by lastraid; 09-18-08 at 08:24 AM.
    09-18-08 08:21 AM
    So what happens if I try to download the update to my curve anyway???
    nothing. it will just say that the file already exists and ask if you want to replace it. this is if you are trying to download the new version and it's not avail for you yet.

you will be able to see which version you are downloading.

lastraid, i don't have a BB at work, just my personal. i only have an old samsung!
    09-18-08 08:22 AM
    If you have the 8830 and you are looking to upgrade the application from Navigator itself, it will not work. You have to go to the VZ Nav page from your Blackberry and download it from there. The download page will prompt you for the software version of your device, once selected it will give you the file download prompt, and it will show it is Ver. 4.1.0. You will be asked to overwrite the current version on your device. Do it.

Once installed, you will be prompted to reboot.

I'm sure bugs will be worked out in coming days.....weeks........months.

lol
    09-18-08 08:23 AM
    well since my 4.3 is higher than the 4.2 versions you are supposed to select from as your OS for the download, do I just picker the higher version option???
    09-18-08 08:26 AM
    pick not picker...geeez
    09-18-08 08:29 AM
    I tried both, then I get a The system was unable to porcess your request, please try again later sucker .... um ok a slight edit
    09-18-08 08:44 AM
    Yeah, me too..."Can you hear me now?" Well, that's the sound of my head slamming on my desk...god love em'
    09-18-08 08:58 AM
    I'm getting the same "unable to precess request" thing. I guess I will try later.

I did call Verizon "tech support" and discovered something very important. Those guys know absolutely nothing about Blackberries and I should never ever call them again. Not that I really expected them to, but the answers I received were laughable. When I asked about the update for the Nav software I was directed to the OS update download on the VZW website. The "tech" told me, after placing me on hold for 7 minutes, that the only way I could get the new VZ Nav was to download the new OS. I almost laughed my a** off when he said that. I explained that I already had the OS update (running 4.5, but didn't tell him that) and that the OS update had nothing to do with the VZ Nav update. I then pointed out the 4.0 was brand new for the BB and the update on their site was from May of this year. He put me on hold again and then came back to inform me that there was no way to upgrade to 4.0 and that 4.0 would not be available for the Blackberries.
    09-18-08 08:59 AM
    Are you sure you got Tech Support or Customer Service. THere have been several notification about the release internally I have read. As for all reps knowing nothing that is complete BS. I am one and use a blackberry. I know several reps that are even most likely better than I.

So this is bad statement on your part as you appear to have one bad interaction.

4.0 per the last message I got is to release today. I am sure that servers are being updated and one user here has posted that he got it.

So take a deep breath and it will there for you soon.
    09-18-08 09:06 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD