09-18-08 09:00 PM
69 123
tools
    Well gang VZ Nav. 4.0 is coming very soon for the 8830, 8310, and 8330. If you like this service it is a lot better than what you have now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-08 07:01 AM
    This is great news!

Gas prices, 3D view, Events, Place Messages, Traffic, Weather, etc!

A very nice upgrade from the current VZ Nav!

i was using 4.0 on my EnV and loved it! i have my favorite locations backed up onto the VZ Nav site (another nice feature of Nav 4.0) . i wonder if i'll be able to sync them onto my BB once 4.0 is available. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Here's a link to more info on VZ NAV 4.0:

Answers to FAQs

Last edited by chrisy520; 09-10-08 at 09:33 AM.
    09-10-08 07:05 AM
    We've known that for months, but the question still remains:

WHEN?
    09-10-08 01:51 PM
    All I can say soon. Very soon. Unless there is an unfoseen delay.

09-10-08 04:50 PM
    Here's a page from the newsletter received by many VZW reps. Unfortunately, the date's come and gone, and the current version simply states "soon."

09-10-08 07:59 PM
    Yeah, agreed, when will VZW unlock the damn GPS. I don't want to pay $10/month. My Garmin does a better job anyway.

Corporate greed.
    09-11-08 09:49 AM
    There are a LOT of "VZW should unlock" threads on here. Just do a search.

i think this thread is just to let those of us know, who use VZ Nav, that the upgrade is coming soon.

09-11-08 10:08 AM
    It's ironic that a company whose primary business is communication, they don't communicate with their employees very well.
    09-11-08 11:38 AM
    It's ironic that a company whose primary business is communication, they don't communicate with their employees very well.
    Lol! What do you mean? Do you work for VZW?

09-11-08 12:24 PM
    Employees are always trained about things that are actually available. Why spend the time and money sending a communication about an enhancement or new product that isn't out yet and may be delayed? That would be horrible business management.

09-11-08 03:10 PM
    Look up. VZW internal newsletter said September 8. I guess that qualifies as "horrible business management" then!
    09-11-08 04:38 PM
    I work there and didn't get that. Things that aren't intended for release are leaked all the time. Doesn't make it true.

09-11-08 05:34 PM
    Or maybe they're committed to a quality product launch.

I know the new date but when it happens, it happens. Getting worked up about it won't do anything.

09-11-08 06:09 PM
    Verizon noticed that if such application (vznav) it would not charge you, and also seemed to unlock GPS.... lol

SO they are working to fix that big problem lol

Okay back to reality
    09-11-08 06:11 PM
    i was under the impression that 4.0 would not be released till the 4.5 or 4.6 os whatever is realesed. i read that somewhere, don't recall where. 4.0 is definitely a phenomenal nav app though.
    09-11-08 06:47 PM
    It appears that 4.0 will run 4.3
    09-11-08 07:36 PM
    NASCAR spelled backwards is BORING
    09-11-08 08:04 PM
    NASCAR spelled backwards is BORING
    Hmm - Where did this come from? Off topic and no explanation. I think I know, but I will not assume. For if I did, I would have to say that racecar spelled backwards is racecar, has nothing at all to with NASCAR.
    09-11-08 08:19 PM
    Look up. VZW internal newsletter said September 8. I guess that qualifies as "horrible business management" then!
    If you'd read the text above the graphic, you would've seen that I noted that the newsletter has since been updated, no longer reflecting the 9/8 date. According to the source (a posting on HF) The update was performed in a timely fashion, but since I don't work for VZW I don't have access to it.
    09-11-08 08:55 PM
    The info is coming from internal documenation, The september date was accurate, if there is a last minute glitch then this will delay the date. This is why info on internal documentation should not be leaked. There is another release date, but for this reason I will not post it.

As for another post that communications to employees are not good to employees coming from an comunications company is not that good. It s hog wash. They lets reps know as whole at the last minute to prevent leaks of info that should come out. IE the september 8th date or even release dats for new devices.

This is why places like here and Phonescoop.com have the info first, as the company might release it to them so everyone finds out at the same time.

If you have not checked out Phonescoop today, there are a lot of new things coming to blackberries, but there are no firm dates.
    09-11-08 09:09 PM
    I tried to download 4.0 yesterday but when it downloaded it was 2.9.
    09-13-08 11:06 PM
    I tried to download 4.0 yesterday but when it downloaded it was 2.9.
    4.0 is not released for Blackberry yet.

Soon.

09-14-08 05:55 AM
    Internal emails are for internal use. It's a communication, not a promise. All REAL employees understand that information in a newsletter is a pending date, and is subject to change. I work here and communication is fine, the only thing we really lack information on is equipment, which is good because people leak the information as if it's a promise from the company, and customers get peeved, that's horrible business management. Long and short...... Internal emails are for our eyes only, and we ((atleast a decently educated rep)) understand that it's not a set date, that programming issues and bug fixes could delay the launch, that's why we are forbidden from announcing these things early. It's not launched, til it's launched.

As far as unlocking GPS, might as well forget about it, corporate greed? You bet it, I get tired of these threads. I would love unlocked services as much as the next guy, as a consumer, and as an employee I get it on both ends. VZ Navigator for MOST is a well liked program, updated more often than most GPS programs, and is very user friendly. Sure, I wouldn't mind NOT paying for it, who wouldn't, but why give away the farm when you don't have to? Verizon's business model is a successful one, and it works on more tiers than just "corporate greed". Try to look at it from something other than your personal wallet. With their "corporate greed" and locking of certain things, it ensures a consistant cash flow. With a consistant cash flow not only do our well paid CEO's that are obviously running the business successfuly keep getting paid, but it trickles down. Verizon reps are WELL compensated, with alot of options for career advancement and growth. Take away that cash flow that is almost gauranteed a company is left outsourcing to third party for cheaper employment and less happy employees.

They take that money and invest in the network, which is what verizon is known for. They invest in advanced training for their employees, and it shows, a company that is on the same price tier as us makes less money, their reps make less money, their network is subpar, their employees are consistantly unhappy, and their JD powers rankings and consumer survey reports show.

There is more to it than just "corporate greed". Just be happy they don't put a Brew platform on your blackberry and lock it down even further, .
    09-14-08 08:27 AM
    I just actually talked to VZW a few days ago about this. I just recently upgraded to my BB, and was suprised that VZNav was an older version on the BB versus my old phone. When I talked with the tech guy, he could have easily said that the BB version would be out soon. Or just that the BB uses an older version then other phones. Any explanation would of worked. All i got was alot of confused techs. So did not even know VZ Nav had a more updated version.

Oh well. Now I know Cb has more up to date info. I will look here first.

Also, does anyone know if they will send out a text or something to let folks know when an updated verion of VZNav will be available?
    09-15-08 12:06 AM
    As for another post that communications to employees are not good to employees coming from an comunications company is not that good. It s hog wash. They lets reps know as whole at the last minute to prevent leaks of info that should come out. IE the september 8th date or even release dats for new devices.
    I meant that in a broader sense; every time I call or visit a VZW rep I get completely different answers, most of them wrong. Not about new product, about current services and billing. The people mean well and do their best, but simply don't have the correct information almost every single time.

It's even more true between the landline and DSL groups, neither one knows what the heck each other is doing. I can tell you nightmarish stories trying to get problems sorted out that were caused entirely by a lack of communication within the company.

Overall, as a total business entity, Verizon is a mess from my perspective as a customer who buys multiple products. The wireless group is by far the best, but even they have serious issues, mostly due to their continual inability to consistently deliver accurate information to their employees and thus to their customers.

That's what I meant about the irony of a communications company having trouble communicating with itself.
    09-15-08 12:08 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD