I have been using VZ Nav now for about 3 days..so far I really do like it..pinpoints my location very quickly the turn by turn directions are great and the follow me feature is good too..along with local search and the weather,I have no problem paying 10/mo to use it. Just curious if anyone else here is using it and what they think.

JC
    05-31-09 08:42 PM
    i've been using VZ NAV for about 4 years and i love it!

i take road trip frequently and i've found the directions to be accurate and up to date.

i love the points of interest local search as well as the place message feature.

It's a lot more convenient than having an in car GPS system, especially when flying and renting a car.

i often use the VZ NAV inside my hotel room to look for vegetarian restaurants and other POIs.

i have no issues with the cost either. i think it's well worth the price!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 08:48 PM
    I used it when I went on vacation to Orlando earlier this year. It was very handy while I was there, but I do not use it regularly as I usually know how to get where Im going.
    05-31-09 08:50 PM
    I've been using it for several years now. It has gotten me out of a jam numerous times when I was lost. I like how it integrates itself with the BlackBerry address book, and also your VZnav online account.

05-31-09 08:52 PM
    I am not sure if i read this some where or if i just dreamed it but i thought i read something about VZ Navigatore being available in europe, is that true? does it cost more and how do you get it? Thanks.
    05-31-09 11:45 PM
    I am not sure if i read this some where or if i just dreamed it but i thought i read something about VZ Navigatore being available in europe, is that true? does it cost more and how do you get it? Thanks.
    It is available for use outside the US. It's $19.99 per month but you can just activate it for trip if you'll only need for for two weeks.

Currently only available on the Storm. It is planned to be available on other advanced global devices like the Saga and upcoming global Blackberries as well but no time line on that yet.

It covers:
    USA
    Canada
    Mexico

And in Europe:
    France
    Germany
    Italy
    Norway
    Spain
    Sweden
    United Kingdom
    06-01-09 01:05 AM
    I don't think the service is bad - However this is how I broke it down for me
    10 bucks a month for 1 year is 120 bucks..

I went and spent 200 bucks on a garmin nuvi and get no monthly fees and its pretty small so its not a big deal to carry around.

I only ever use it in my car anyway...

so it just didn't pay for me to use vznav.

As far as the service go's I tried it out a few times and it does really work well and if it was quite a bit cheaper I would consider using it.
    06-01-09 04:54 AM
    Re using VZ Nav globally:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ver...obally-218430/

06-01-09 06:55 AM
    I don't think the service is bad - However this is how I broke it down for me
    10 bucks a month for 1 year is 120 bucks..

I went and spent 200 bucks on a garmin nuvi and get no monthly fees and its pretty small so its not a big deal to carry around.

I only ever use it in my car anyway...

so it just didn't pay for me to use vznav.

As far as the service go's I tried it out a few times and it does really work well and if it was quite a bit cheaper I would consider using it.
    VzNav may cost more but you also get more. Integrated traffic, free. Street updates, free. Poi updates, free. Gas finder, free. Movie showtime/reviews, free.

Sometime there is more to a product than the price sticker.

06-01-09 10:31 AM
    The app runs a bit slow on the Blackberry. I wish they would provide another upgrade of some sort.
    06-01-09 12:21 PM
    I used it for about 3 weeks when I first got my storm.

i liked the turn by turn directions and the traffic indicators, but it didn't make sense for me to use it. i'm pretty handy with directions and found that for the the 1 or 2 times a month i actually need to get directions, google maps worked just fine for me. i'd probably use vznav if i did more traveling in unfamiliar areas, but its just not worth the money for how little i used it.

it KILLS your battery though. i used it for a 2 hour trip and was down to 20-30% by the end (admittedly, i forgot to plug in my charger, but it was handy way to test how it affected my battery life.)

If you want an all in one package, this is probably your best bet, although I've heard (but never used) that the garmin software is pretty good too. Much cheaper the longer you go between upgrades. garmin is $100 one time, but i dont know if that includes traffic updates.

If you're frugal, minus turn by turn directions, there are free apps like google maps that can do just about everything vznav does. (i.e. traffic, poi searches, directions)
    06-01-09 01:01 PM
    Just got back from a 4 day road trip. Being able to look up hotels near where I was located and call until I found one that accepted pets was really useful. It may be an extra $10 a month, but when you need it, it's worth it.
    06-01-09 10:50 PM
    I finally really "used" vznav today..went to meet a friend of mine for drinks today,she was going to give me directions but i said no thanks..I have my BB..lol..so I punched in the adress and used start from my gps location...I cant tell you how well it worked..great directions..excellent accuracy and gave traffic updates as well...was very very happy with it..the cost is so minimal it doesnt bother me at all..its 2 beers or a few sodas a month..not a big deal..anyway..very happy with the service..i did keep my phone plugged in tho as I had figured it would use alot of battery..I'll be keeping this for awhile..

JC
    06-01-09 10:53 PM
    I have been using VZ Nav now for about 3 days..so far I really do like it..pinpoints my location very quickly the turn by turn directions are great and the follow me feature is good too..along with local search and the weather,I have no problem paying 10/mo to use it. Just curious if anyone else here is using it and what they think.

JC
    I love the app for the directions... I have a huge problem with its updates, however, as they seem few and far between. The search function (phone book icon) is almost useless. The addresses are almost always wrong. The directions are correct, but when I get there, I find that the place closed years ago.

My way around that is to use google to search... but then sometimes Google is also out of date. Then I end up having to call 411, and while I'm on the phone, might as well ask for directions... LOL.

As you can see, I have a real love/hate for this app!
    06-01-09 11:01 PM
    Before I set out on my little day trip today last nite I went to the vznav site and got the address and directions put in and synched the address to my phone along with a few others..today I used the turn by turn for the first time using the from my gps location and it worked great...i didnt even know their was a site to upload addresses on then sync to your phone until yesturday..lol

JC
    06-02-09 12:57 AM
    MOst features such as VZNav have a website associated with them.

other applications that do for example are:

VZNav
    Chaperone
    Field Force Manager
    Ringback tones
    HUB

Again just a few
    06-02-09 07:58 AM
    I absolutely love it; tried to use google maps; even bbmaps. But to me nothing
    right now beats it. I don't use it a lot but
    when I do it works like a champ.
    Movies; weather; search for whatever u
    are looking for that interestes u.
    Not to mention if u are in a busy metro area it's nice to have the traffic.
    06-02-09 10:57 AM
    The turn by turn isn't worth 120 per year to me. All the rest of the stuff I can do with Google Maps or BBMaps.
    06-02-09 07:04 PM
    VzNav may cost more but you also get more. Integrated traffic, free. Street updates, free. Poi updates, free. Gas finder, free. Movie showtime/reviews, free.

Sometime there is more to a product than the price sticker.

that may be the case. But a single fee is better then a monthly fee...

I had a gas finder application on my iPhone and really it was more a pain to open it then it was to just see a gas station. The iPhone one even told the prices of the gas stations in the area...

honestly speaking when I think of a GPS unit I think of getting me from point a to point b. The garmin's do that wonderful. Anything else it can do I would want in a separate application..

Besides the garmin is always navigating and never interupted even during a phone call
    06-02-09 07:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD