02-25-09 06:10 PM
59 123
tools
    Now will there be monthly costs and will it do data through the cell or just voice? Unlimited voice if you use the cell? Come on VZ, where's the details?

Verizon launching Wireless Network Extender femtocell on January 25 - Engadget
    01-19-09 03:16 AM
    This is a nice little gadget. I would purchase it if I had crappy service in my house. AT&T should offer this, they might be able to keep customers.
    01-19-09 07:58 AM
    OMG....I just hope we can offer this device in tech support! Don't realize how many people complain about signal inside of structures which is something we just can't troubleshoot.
    01-19-09 01:19 PM
    VZW states they have coverage in my hometown yet they don't! I like my phone in the city I work in so this device would rock BUT... I can't see paying $250 PLUS a monthly fee so they skirt around poor advertising and/or coverage. I would be inclined to do one or the other...NOT both.
    01-19-09 05:37 PM
    This device will suppot 1X data connections only. Oh yes and voice. You will need a VPN capable router and access to a GPS signal. It has 4 channels for 3 phones and one for E911 calls. Does not amplify tower signal in your home, but uses the VPN to pull the signal. Neat huh?
    01-19-09 06:05 PM
    Basically a VoIP to CDMA device.

I can see the prices coming down before long though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 06:25 PM
    Basically a VoIP to CDMA device.

I can see the prices coming down before long though.

Geezzz, the carriers got you all snookered! They get you to pay for a device, plus monthly service for something that benefits them!

The more people that buy these the better VZ/ATT look. And you're paying the carriers a fee to use YOUR internet connection to improve their service.

Taking away alot of incentive for network upgrades and maintenance.
    01-19-09 07:40 PM
    Geezzz, the carriers got you all snookered! They get you to pay for a device, plus monthly service for something that benefits them!

The more people that buy these the better VZ/ATT look. And you're paying the carriers a fee to use YOUR internet connection to improve their service.

Taking away alot of incentive for network upgrades and maintenance.
    Just like people pay vonage to get a phone? yeah right.

This enhances signal in areas that signal is there but does not penetrate the building well. There is the cost of the device, which is way less than a repeater.

All carriers have penetration issues, for as you know I am sure wireless is line of sight. VZW will not stop investing in their backbone, new towers will rise etc.

Bottom line, is whatever. people will purchase this device and it will help them get better signal in their houses, apartments and small offices. I do bet though the $249 to get better signal will lead to death of more landlines and pay for itself in a short time VS a monthly landline fee.
    01-19-09 07:59 PM
    Lastraid is totally correct. I know of homes & businesses that are in the middle of strong signal areas where at least a portion of the structure is in a radiowave "black hole." I have two rooms like this in my home.

In one room, my hobby room, I have animal enclosures on one side. On the other, my gun safes & my reloading equipment. On a third wall is my electronics bench. There are tubular skylights in the ceiling and a lot of lighting.

In the adjacent room, I have a huge flat panel TV, plus my music gear & audio equipment. More skylights in the ceiling & both rooms have double glazed, bronze glass.

I walk into these rooms with ANY digital phone & the call drops & signal strength meters drop to nothing.

House is block & steel construction with soundboard & heavy insulation & a concrete tile roof.

In the bedrooms, the kitchen, the living room, family room, etc., I have a full signal on any carrier. I can tell you where all of the cell towers are in the area - a couple of which I had a hand in the construction. Each is well within a strong signal range. In my living room, I see a signal that is always better than -60dbm.

VZW & AT&T both confirm it is structure related. At the very least, it is the electro-machinations of the earth's gravitational field conspiring to cause mobile phone carrier conspiracy theorists to get their panties all wadded in a knot to speak condescendingly to others.

I called my account rep and told him I wanted one at no charge. He said he'd see what he could do. Then again, he has my credit card info. Push comes to shove & I will okay the purchase, even at full price. I certainly do not a cell tower on my roof or by my window.

It will be nice to not have to leave my phones out of the fun rooms for a change.

01-19-09 08:26 PM
    From what I have heard, there also will be a unit for larger areas that will cover 50K sq feet.
    01-19-09 08:36 PM
    1 more thing to add about structures blocking cell signal. On a number of trouble tickets I've worked, network technicians have noted that UVA window tint will also impede signal. Alot of recently built homes as well as homes that install new windows get UVA coating for more energy efficiency. My own home is guilty of this. I live smack in the middle of Tampa but there is 1 spot dead center in my own house that I can not get a signal.

The femtocell would easily remedy this problem.
    01-19-09 08:42 PM
    I wish they released this a year ago when I lived in Campbell hall, NY. I went without cell service in my house for nearly six months. :-(

01-19-09 08:58 PM
    this would work great for us if only dsl was available in our area.......................
    01-20-09 09:43 AM
    it should be free or heavily discounted to those whos billing address has no coverage at all
    01-20-09 03:25 PM
    this would work great for us if only dsl was available in our area.......................
    Will work with cable as well.
    01-20-09 06:14 PM
    Will work with cable as well.
    Can't get that either!

we live 2 miles outside the city limits and 4 miles from our old apartment where we had dsl.

AND we live in a small subdivision yet no dsl and no cable. Thats why we have a 3rd line and rely on tethering
    01-20-09 06:35 PM
    ISDN or satellite may be an option?

01-21-09 03:44 PM
    Lastraid is totally correct. I know of homes & businesses that are in the middle of strong signal areas where at least a portion of the structure is in a radiowave "black hole." I have two rooms like this in my home.

In one room, my hobby room, I have animal enclosures on one side. On the other, my gun safes & my reloading equipment. On a third wall is my electronics bench. There are tubular skylights in the ceiling and a lot of lighting.

In the adjacent room, I have a huge flat panel TV, plus my music gear & audio equipment. More skylights in the ceiling & both rooms have double glazed, bronze glass.

I walk into these rooms with ANY digital phone & the call drops & signal strength meters drop to nothing.

House is block & steel construction with soundboard & heavy insulation & a concrete tile roof.

In the bedrooms, the kitchen, the living room, family room, etc., I have a full signal on any carrier. I can tell you where all of the cell towers are in the area - a couple of which I had a hand in the construction. Each is well within a strong signal range. In my living room, I see a signal that is always better than -60dbm.

VZW & AT&T both confirm it is structure related. At the very least, it is the electro-machinations of the earth's gravitational field conspiring to cause mobile phone carrier conspiracy theorists to get their panties all wadded in a knot to speak condescendingly to others.

I called my account rep and told him I wanted one at no charge. He said he'd see what he could do. Then again, he has my credit card info. Push comes to shove & I will okay the purchase, even at full price. I certainly do not a cell tower on my roof or by my window.

It will be nice to not have to leave my phones out of the fun rooms for a change.

Everyone should read the article: Quote

Sprint had the jump on this by a few months with its AIRAVE, but Verizon's not far behind in bringing femotcells to the masses with its less-elegantly-named Wireless Network Extender later this month on the 25th. The little black box will puke out a cloud of CDMA covering up to 5,000 square feet of domicile with support for up to three simultaneous calls -- enough for you, the hubby / missus, and little Joey / Susie to all be yapping away at the same time. Like Sprint's solution, the Wireless Network Extender uses GPS to verify that you're not creating little tiny Verizon networks in Laos, Kenya, or Uruguay and plugs into the internet source of your choice via Ethernet. It'll be available in Verizon stores and online starting January 25 for $249.99 -- not a bad deal for Verizon, considering you're saving them the expense of erecting a tower.

And for you appartment/condo dwellers, this will allow your neighbors to get their network in loud and clear also.

Again, my point, VZ has no incentive to come in and improve service in your area/living quarters. They just charge you $250 and piggy back off your ISP. Sweet deal for them.
    01-21-09 04:43 PM
    Gee I guess one opinion is gospel for you.

You do not even know how the device works and yest there will be some circumstances of apartment folks getting this issue. WHat you do not know is thet in order for a device to be picked up by this device, you have to be in a 15 ft radius of the device. Then you can go up to 5000k sq feet. It is all in placement.

Sorry you feel this way, VZW erected about 250 towers this past year and will continue do so. Take a step back and look at the big picture. There are people in saturated areas that have weak or dead zone. Sounds like a good deal to me.
    01-21-09 06:53 PM
    250 one time fee, no monthly charge. All you need is an existing router. Will support 3 phones in a 5,000 sq. ft. radius. And you choose which 3.
    01-21-09 08:36 PM
    250 one time fee, no monthly charge. All you need is an existing router. Will support 3 phones in a 5,000 sq. ft. radius. And you choose which 3.
    Actually the router MUST be VPN capable, have access to a GPS signal and actually it will support 3 phones at the same time and up to 50 programmed priorty numbers. This means that out of the 50 if a person using the device is not one of the priorty numbers and other that are walk in the area, then the device will try to xfer that caller back to towers, if this fails the call will drop. Oh yes the fourth channel is for 911 support
    01-21-09 08:41 PM
    250$ is a rip off, since Sprint is offering the same exact device (different colors) for 100$, 250$ verizon's need to have EVDO or something.

But that Verizon for you! Always taking Advantage of People even in a recession/depression

01-22-09 09:31 AM
    ISDN or satellite may be an option?

Not sure one what the ISDN is, but satellite is out of the question since you have to pay a good chunk of money for the equipment and then the service runs you $90 a month.

Besides we have good signal as it is with alltel and since vzw should just take over the tower's here we shouldn't see any change in signal unless its for the better.
    01-22-09 09:44 AM
    So for $250 are all the calls I make on the device 'free' of airtime charges? I mean I am routing the call to VZ (backbone) and am not using a channel on one of their towers (femtocell). Or will they insist on deducting the calls I make on the device I bought and routed on my cable modem from my monthly 'airtime' minutes??
    01-26-09 12:30 AM
    Not sure one what the ISDN is
    Integrated Services Digital Network. It is a digital signal across POTS lines. It is what we had for high-speed access before broadband. It generally runs @ 128-256k, depending on area and is not limited by distance from the serving CO the way DSL is.

It isn't always an acceptable option, but I mentioned it just in case.

For the non-telco savvy readers, I offer the following definitions of the acronyms I used above:

POTS: Plain Old Telephone Service
    CO: Central Office - the switch facility that handles your area
    TELCO: Telephone Company

01-26-09 03:30 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD