Hi all,

I've searched around on here and not seen anyone ask this before, so here goes. I'm currently in the throes of getting T Mobile's UMA (or wifi calling) option to work due to dismal GSM service at home. I'm having little luck. I've got some contacts inside of RIM that I've sicced on the issue, but I don't expect much success short of a newly purchased device being swapped out for my current Curve.

I still have my old 8830, though, and am happy to pay the premium for Verizon service, given past experiences with them, but I'm hitting the wall that I must enter into a contract in order to buy service.

Anyone have any luck getting around this for BB service? I know you can pay as you go/pre pay for voice service, but there's apparently no option for the BB starting new service.

I'm all for allowing the phone companies to lock me in if they're subsidizing my device but if I'm bringing my own, fully paid for device, paying activation and planning to spend over $100/mo in services this seems inflexible and, frankly, obtuse. If anyone has found a way around this, please let me know - I'd love to give Verizon my $1200 of spend per year, but they don't seem to willing to get it with this policy.
    03-24-08 03:13 PM
    you shouldnt need a new contract once yours expires just keep paying for the features you want and the plan - are u in a contract now ? or looking to get new service ?
    08-25-08 07:50 AM
    I've already leaft Verizon and was thinking about coming back on as a new customer, where they're still requiring me to sign a contract, even though I'm not getting the benefit of a subsidized device as I already have my own. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.
    08-25-08 10:28 AM
    All new customers must sign a contract.... it's like this with any carrier. Why are you surprised?
    08-25-08 11:41 AM
    You're incorrect, actually. I signed up for new service at the start of this year with TMobile and have an "off the rack" MyFaves/Blackberry plan (same plan as offered on contract, with no premium pricing and no contract) on a "flexpay" basis. The only difference is that my bill date for service is at the end of Month A for service in Month B.

Given that the contracts and ETFs carriers charge are, in large part, aimed at recouping the subsidy on handsets, I am not only surprised but quite perturbed that Verizon would attempt to recoup such costs when no subsidy applies.
    08-25-08 11:54 AM
    You're incorrect, actually. I signed up for new service at the start of this year with TMobile and have an "off the rack" MyFaves/Blackberry plan (same plan as offered on contract, with no premium pricing and no contract) on a "flexpay" basis. The only difference is that my bill date for service is at the end of Month A for service in Month B.

Given that the contracts and ETFs carriers charge are, in large part, aimed at recouping the subsidy on handsets, I am not only surprised but quite perturbed that Verizon would attempt to recoup such costs when no subsidy applies.
    verizon pro-rates its etf noob
    08-25-08 12:51 PM
    verizon pro-rates its etf noob
    Thanks for adding so much value with your comment, if you'd read the initial post and the rest of the thread - something, in addition to grammar and punctuation you clearly chose to eschew - you'd see we're talking about contract-less engagement with Verizon, not ETFs.

While this has come up as part of the thread, that's not the issue I'd initially raised to discuss with the group. It seems, then that aside from the FlexPay option at T-Mo, no US carriers are allowing entry into service without contract.

I'd heard, but not had a chance to verify, that ATT is even doing a mandatory 1-year with its SIM-only plans.
    08-25-08 04:12 PM
    Most other carriers besides Tmobile have either postpaid accounts or prepaid.
    08-25-08 04:15 PM
    Most other carriers besides Tmobile have either postpaid accounts or prepaid.
    Right, postpaid with contract and prepaid, which it seems a lot of carriers classify as a different offering than their postpaid accounts. T-Mobile, however, seems to offer the same products "600 minute my faves" for example, as either pre- or post-paid. I haven't seen any other US carrier doing this, there is most often a different product set across pre-paid and post-paid, but maybe some others have seen some other examples of what TMo is doing?
    08-25-08 04:20 PM
    It seems Tmobile is the only carrier offering the flexpay option. I hope other carriers would do the same in the future.
    08-25-08 04:23 PM
    Not intending to make this all about FlexPay, but one more note on it. I'm in agreement with Dolphinguy, but there are some catches with FlexPay.

I've noticed that certain services are not available to those on FlexPay, for example, unlimited calling (formerly known as the HotSpot@Home plan, now going under another name, I believe) over Wi-Fi. I can use UMA and make Wi-Fi calls, but cannot add the service where UMA calls are unlimited. Instead they come out of my normal whenever or myfaves minutes buckets.

People in the retail stores, that I've talked to in CS (escalated up to UMA support managers) can not add this feature without - get this - canceling the account and re-initiating services. I've been told it's a limitation of FlexPay and how TMo views the accounts.

Even a number port to a totally new account is not possible, I've been told. So, like anything else, it's not perfect.
    08-25-08 04:31 PM
    Sign the contract, get a curve for $49-99. Sell it as a brand new device for $200-300.

Swap the ESN service to your 8830.

You've just made enough to cover ETF if you decide to leave. End of discussion.
    08-25-08 04:35 PM
    Sign the contract, get a curve for $49-99. Sell it as a brand new device for $200-300.

You've just made enough to cover ETF if you decide to leave. End of discussion.
    That's not a bad plan, and with an extra curve and other BB devices I've got that are not being used, definitely something I could do, but the issue isn't, as I've mentioned above, about the ETF...
    08-25-08 04:37 PM
    Well of course T-Mobile is the only one offering this sort of agreement. They're at the bottom of the cell chain for major US providers. Verizon and AT&T are at the top, T-Mobile needs all the customers it can get at this point. Whether it's shaving plan costs here or offering something such as FlexPay. I would be surprised to see Verizon adopt such a plan in the near future. Even if you supply your own equipment, which could even be a brick Nokia with no camera or color display, a 1 yr contract minimum would be required for activation on Verizon. That's why there's 3 prices to every phone. You could argue that you're supplying your own phone (granted it's compatible) but VZW could offer you a brand new phone discounted to a 1yr contract price rather than the full discounted price locking you into a 2 yr contract. You're trying to dodge a contract...but if the service is the best on the market...how is that a bad thing?

Yes, it's not the cheapest service. Nor is it the cell phone company with the most customers. It is however, the company with the best service...and THAT'S what you're paying for...the network. I used to be a die hard AT&T/Cingular fan for 5 years...I borrowed a friends phone for a week while I was waiting for my insurance replacement to come in the mail. He had Verizon. I happily paid the ETF and would sign a contract for life with Verizon if I had to for the service they have.

1 yr agreement? why not?
    08-30-08 02:50 PM
    you dont need a contract on any carrier... you just buy the phone full price or bring a used phone from (craigslist, ebay, etc) and go and activate it. You will have to pay the first month upfront but other then that, its a month to month contract. no disconnect fee, no hassles. But they do run your credit and make sure your eligible for that line. just no binding contract.
    09-01-08 10:39 AM
    you dont need a contract on any carrier... you just buy the phone full price or bring a used phone from (craigslist, ebay, etc) and go and activate it. You will have to pay the first month upfront but other then that, its a month to month contract. no disconnect fee, no hassles. But they do run your credit and make sure your eligible for that line. just no binding contract.
    that wont happen on verizon
    09-01-08 01:02 PM
    Well of course T-Mobile is the only one offering this sort of agreement. They're at the bottom of the cell chain for major US providers. Verizon and AT&T are at the top, T-Mobile needs all the customers it can get at this point. Whether it's shaving plan costs here or offering something such as FlexPay. I would be surprised to see Verizon adopt such a plan in the near future. Even if you supply your own equipment, which could even be a brick Nokia with no camera or color display, a 1 yr contract minimum would be required for activation on Verizon. That's why there's 3 prices to every phone. You could argue that you're supplying your own phone (granted it's compatible) but VZW could offer you a brand new phone discounted to a 1yr contract price rather than the full discounted price locking you into a 2 yr contract. You're trying to dodge a contract...but if the service is the best on the market...how is that a bad thing?

Yes, it's not the cheapest service. Nor is it the cell phone company with the most customers. It is however, the company with the best service...and THAT'S what you're paying for...the network. I used to be a die hard AT&T/Cingular fan for 5 years...I borrowed a friends phone for a week while I was waiting for my insurance replacement to come in the mail. He had Verizon. I happily paid the ETF and would sign a contract for life with Verizon if I had to for the service they have.

1 yr agreement? why not?
    Fair, but let's not forget, we're talking about a CDMA carrier, here, which means best service in the US and Canada, and - at best - outrageously priced Vodafone European coverage, if you're "lucky" enough to have a locked, dual mode Verizon device like the the 8830. I travel overseas quite a bit, and will be doing so next week (to visit with RIM execs) and plan to liberally use wi-fi calling to save on roaming.
    09-01-08 11:10 PM
    Turns out the idea for Verizon service without a contract was not so far-fetched after all, all you need to do is either pay full price for a device or supply your own:

No Contract Required New Month-To-Month Agreement Gives Verizon Wireless Customers Even More Freedom
    09-23-08 01:10 PM
    VZW now offers service WITHOUT contract. You must provide your own equipment or buy new.
    09-25-08 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD