Long time Verizon customer want to stay on the network but looking at the iphone. My question is on blackberry's i have always heard that verizon has crippled the functions on there smart phones. Is this true and to what extent? Also what would a family plan with two bb and one voice only with 1400 and unlimited text. I looked on the site but it looked like i needed to go to the store to configure that plan.
    04-10-09 09:55 PM
    Long time Verizon customer want to stay on the network but looking at the iphone. My question is on blackberry's i have always heard that verizon has crippled the functions on there smart phones. Is this true and to what extent? Also what would a family plan with two bb and one voice only with 1400 and unlimited text. I looked on the site but it looked like i needed to go to the store to configure that plan.
    As far as the GPS goes, there are million other forums explaining this. As for the the plan, you can do this at store, or call CS 800-922-0204 and they will explain price plans that will meet your needs.

If you decide to go with the iPhone, make sure that ATT coverage in your area works well
    04-10-09 10:08 PM
    VZW doesn't "cripple" their phones anymore than any other carrier. They do it less, actually.

iPhones bricked for putting non-approved software on the device.

T-mobile blocking third party applications from accessing the Internet.

Sprint keeping users from full MMS capability.

Verizon with OS colors and included games.

Some links about phones being crippled or limited by carriers...

T-Mobile Disses Opera, Says "Get Less!" - Gearlog

VoIP Watch: How To Make Your Nokia N95 100 Percent

Treo 700wx Crippled, Lacking Bluetooth Modem | PhoneNews.com

RAZR 2: Differences By Carrier - Four variations on crippled features.... - dslreports.com

It isn't just Verizon. VZW got hammered a few years ago for limited Bluetooth on some phones. Problem is, Sprint had the same issue, but because of its smaller size, many didn't notice.

Now it is the GPS issue. Some folks grab quotes from Qualcomm about their gpsONE technology, but miss little things like whether the chipset is a 7501a (aGPS) or 7500 (dual mode).

They all do it to some degree and the European carriers are starting to follow suit.

But there is nothing you cannot install on a VZW smartphone. They don't block you from using certain browsers, as T-Mobile has done in the past, or music, as Sprint has done. They don't brick your phone for putting some apps on, as AT&T/Apple did.
    04-10-09 10:36 PM
    That's almost the plan I have.

1400 shared minutes and unlimited text = $110
    access for 2nd line = $9.99
    unlimited data for 1st line = $29.99
    unlimited data for 2nd line = $29.99

approximately $180 + taxes/fees

I receive a 20% corporate discount through my employer. This discount applies to everything on my account except for the $9.99 for the 2nd line. My total discount is $34. Bottom line total on my bill is $160.83 (plan - corporate discount + taxes/fees).

If you are going to have a 3rd line that is not a BlackBerry, then you would have an additional $9.99 for that line.

I don't know if this plan can be configured online or not, as I have always made plan changes in person at the Verizon store.

We have 2 BlackBerry Pearls. GPS works on my phone because I upgraded my OS. GPS does not work on my husband's phone because he didn't upgrade his OS.
    04-10-09 10:50 PM
    I have a curve and my gf has the pearl, we have the 1400min family plan and with taxes and fees it comes out to about 205 a mth. We never go near the 1400 mark but we can't drop to the 700plan cos we wouldn't be able to get the 10 in circle gimmick.

But with that said I have had verizon for about 8yrs and can say I don't really have any complaints at all with them

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-09 01:17 AM
    Ditto. 2 pearls 1 older lg something 1400 minutes about 205 a month

04-11-09 05:37 AM
    We never go near the 1400 mark but we can't drop to the 700plan cos we wouldn't be able to get the 10 in circle gimmick.

If you need to drop to the 700 minute plan, then do so. Firends and Family (F&F) you will lose, but if you do not it then si be it. If at a later time you find yourself going over 700 Minutes, then go back to 1400 min and get the F&F again.

ALso the other option is, use you phones more.
    04-11-09 07:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD