07-29-09 01:30 PM
27 12
tools
    I am looking for a way to disable the canned message that follows my recorded message when you call and get my Voicemail.

I have a friend who is on Verizon and they don't have "anooying annie" wit her redundant information that follows his message so I know it can be disabled I just don't know how to do it and after messin with it for an hour and talking to tech support I am about to go postal!

HELP - Please please please - for the love of short messages that just have the relavant information somebody please tell me how to disable this.
    07-08-09 11:42 PM
    Go to MyVerizon or into your personal settings within VM. You should find options to turn off the voice notice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 11:48 PM
    Sounds easy dosen't it - care to be more specific as I haven't been able to figre out what to do :-)
    07-08-09 11:51 PM
    I substitute YouMail for my voicemail instead of using Verizon's Voicemail service.

07-09-09 12:04 AM
    Me to - I use youmail with vymail.
    07-09-09 12:18 AM
    Do a quick search of the verizon forum. This was discussed a while ago and it explained all of the num sequence to press but it was dependent on your location.

Kinda wierd.

07-09-09 01:33 AM
    I may be wrong....

but, I don't think that it is possible to use the native VZW VM service and totally remove all promts.

If what you're looking for is a caller hear, "hi this is xxxx leave a message" ... BEEP and nothing else, rather than, "hi this is xxxx leave a message" .... "to leave a numeric page for this person, press 1, to leave a message, simply talk after the tone, when you are doen recording, simply hang up or press # for more options". Then you need to switch VM services.

switch to Youmail - it's free, has the ability to record custom greetings per caller, has the ability to download a free visual voice mail app, has lots of fancy UI on the PC site rather than the mobile site. google them and ck it out.

Again, may be wrong in stating that it's not possible to remove all VM instructions prompts... but, even if you're able to remove promts, you still have limited functionality with native VM.

One of the coolest benefits of Youmail is custom greetings. Very easy to program - wife hears, "hi honey... all sorts of personal mushy stuff" and unknowns get professional greeting, friends get, "hi, it's Al..." Mother-in-law gets, "the number you have dialed has blocked this caller."
    07-09-09 01:47 AM
    Do a quick search of the verizon forum. This was discussed a while ago and it explained all of the num sequence to press but it was dependent on your location.

Kinda wierd.
    It seems a little weird, but voicemail is switch based - different switch, different prompts.

Robocoffee, I believe this link will give you answers, based on your area:

Voice Mail Instructions

It isn't very mobile-friendly, so the link is a bit of a shot in the dark. Am floating in the pool right now and don't want to soak a laptop.

07-09-09 01:55 AM
    By the way - what is it when everytime someone asks about VM, the YouMail shills come out of the woodwork?

YouMail is good only if you don't give a rat's tail about privacy & want to invite spammers & telemarketers.

07-09-09 01:58 AM
    @twinsx2dad -- please elaborate. You don't accept personal messages and I wanted to send this question to you in that way.... however, what do you mean about spam and telemarketers? and privacy? I'm not debating this, I just don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that by signing up for this service, I've opened myself up to something unpleasant?

I'm not defending youmail - I have no dog in this fight. I'm just seeking clarification.
    07-09-09 03:36 AM
    I may be wrong....

but, I don't think that it is possible to use the native VZW VM service and totally remove all promts.

If what you're looking for is a caller hear, "hi this is xxxx leave a message" ... BEEP and nothing else, rather than, "hi this is xxxx leave a message" .... "to leave a numeric page for this person, press 1, to leave a message, simply talk after the tone, when you are doen recording, simply hang up or press # for more options". Then you need to switch VM services.

switch to Youmail - it's free, has the ability to record custom greetings per caller, has the ability to download a free visual voice mail app, has lots of fancy UI on the PC site rather than the mobile site. google them and ck it out.

Again, may be wrong in stating that it's not possible to remove all VM instructions prompts... but, even if you're able to remove promts, you still have limited functionality with native VM.

One of the coolest benefits of Youmail is custom greetings. Very easy to program - wife hears, "hi honey... all sorts of personal mushy stuff" and unknowns get professional greeting, friends get, "hi, it's Al..." Mother-in-law gets, "the number you have dialed has blocked this caller."
    I'm not really keen to switch to YouMail - the native Visual Voicemail works well and it also supports personal greetings. I have also discovered that the less apps (ie on the essential ones that you use) lends itslf to stability and certainly to better support from Verizon.

It also occurs to me that it can be done - so I just want to do it - by that I mean - Yes I want to sidable the canned "...my message...- (canned tag) Press 1 to leave..."
    07-09-09 09:38 AM
    It seems a little weird, but voicemail is switch based - different switch, different prompts.

Robocoffee, I believe this link will give you answers, based on your area:

Voice Mail Instructions

It isn't very mobile-friendly, so the link is a bit of a shot in the dark. Am floating in the pool right now and don't want to soak a laptop.

I have looked at this - actualy printed it - I am in Arizona but the problem with this sheet is it dosen't explain what theoptions mean or do! When I call Verizon Tech support they know less that I do!
    07-09-09 09:40 AM
    Robocoffee - you do bring up a good point, the less apps the better - especially when it's "replacing" a native app or a carrier app.

I look at forums thru the "new" posts and not by model - I didn't see you had a storm. I had a storm for a short time and I do remember the visual VM from Verizon being decent.

I'm on a curve and the only free visual VM I'm aware of is Youmail.

However, some good points were raised in this thread. One of my main concerns was eliminating the prompts and getting visual VM. The custom greetings and such were just gravy. But, I think I'll look into the privacy concerns and see if tweaking the verizon system can give me what I want. Thanks for bringing this subject up

07-09-09 01:53 PM
    @twinsx2dad -- please elaborate. You don't accept personal messages and I wanted to send this question to you in that way.... however, what do you mean about spam and telemarketers? and privacy? I'm not debating this, I just don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that by signing up for this service, I've opened myself up to something unpleasant?

I'm not defending youmail - I have no dog in this fight. I'm just seeking clarification.
    Sorry I missed this earlier - just sitting here waiting for everyone to get back, so I will try answering now - hopefully not too late.

While YouMails privacy statement promises to shield your email address and phone number, it says nothing about shielding or protecting your voice content. In fact, YouMail stands behind sharing with any and all of their third-party partners. If you dont care about the privacy of your voice messages left on the YouMail servers and you want to get ad content left in the text messages you receive from these people, then by all means sign up.

Their privacy statement straight up to the point: YouMail collects and processes, or has third party service providers who collect and process on YouMails behalf, personal data relating to you, to convey the communications you make by means of the YouMail Software, and carry out YouMail marketing activities.

Once you've agreed to their terms, its now NOT ILLEGAL for YouMail or their third party advertisers to tap into your voicemail content and even your calling activity.

Remember that YouMail reserves the right to modify the provisions of their Privacy Statement "if deemed necessary and without notice and without your permission.

Their Privacy Statement is filled with ambiguities, written by attorneys who are paid to cover things up & cover their tails later. There is the (Email Address) section where they promise not to pass your email to third parties for THEIR marketing purposes. In the Feedback section they say that the names and email addresses they collect may be used by themselves including their service providers (third party advertisers) who may use it in connection with providing the services by YouMail.. In other words, they won't share your information with a third party who is not an advertiser/partner. YouMail collectively shares information freely with their third party advertisers - including email/phone number - with these partners & third party advertisers, many of whom you've never heard of & many who operate outside of US jurisdiction. This means US laws may or may not be followed. Still, this doesn't really matter, since you agreed to let them use your info and you have no agreement protecting you from what the third parties can do with it.

This part of their Privacy Statement sums it up:

We will not provide the names, email addresses, or phone numbers to any other party except our service providers who may use it in connection with providing the services on our site

Then check out the extra clauses:

11. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
    .IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COMPANY BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INDIRECT DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA OR PROGRAMS, SERVICE INTERRUPTIONS AND PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE SERVICES, EVEN IF THE COMPANY KNOWS OR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE COMPANYS AGGREGATE LIABILITY, ON ANY FORM OF ACTION WHATSOEVER IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT, EXCEED THE PRICE PAID BY YOU FOR YOUR ACCOUNT. THE COMPANY SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES RESULTING FROM ANY CORRESPONDENCE OR BUSINESS DEALINGS WITH THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISERS OR RESULTING FROM THE PRESENCE OF SUCH ADVERTISERS ON THE SERVICE.

12. INDEMNITY BY REGISTERED USER
    You will indemnify and hold harmless the Company, its officers, directors, employees, agents and third parties, for any losses, costs, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to or arising out of your use of the Service, including any breach by you of the Terms of this Agreement.

You are paying nothing for their service, therefore they are liable for nothing - zilch - nada.

At the advice of legal counsel, we do not allow our people to use YouMail, and we don't leave messages on YouMail, when we know it is a YouMail box - all because of possible breach of proprietary info. You may not care about your information or privacy, but what about those who call you with their information? For me, a friend would not subject me to my info being breached - especially since I, like many of your friends, did not agree to the shady terms that YouMail makes you agree to.

Hi Bill, this is Bob. Call me at 555-1212 or email me at bob@myemail.com

Poor Bob - just wanted you to call him & now they have his info - all because you didn't care about your privacy.

This is why I strongly discourage YouMail usage.

07-17-09 04:54 PM
    I am ot sure I am adressing your question but it was my thread so I'll take a little liberty.

The YouMail is a dead issue for me - don't care - I have Visual Voice Mail and I am fine with that. My issue is that I don't want people to leave me meaningless messages - the classic useless message is leaving me your number - I already have tat in my missed call log. The second most usless mesage is "Hi it's me call me on 555.1212" - ABOUT WHAT!!!!????

I try to train my callers to leave me something useful then I get Verizon wasting my callers time with a canned message that goes against what I have just tried to get them to do and it just takes up more time.

I shoulbe able to turn off the canned mesage that gets tagged onto my message - it is unbelievable to me that I cannot turn this off - I don't need it or want it and as fr as I can tell it is just a ploy from the carriers to use minutes.

There has to be a way to turn it off - any help would be appreciated.

/Coffee
    07-17-09 05:27 PM
    Wait - have you been referring to the lead in to each message playback?

Sent Friday, July 17th, 2009 @ 2:53PM from mailbox number NPA-NXX-XXXX

07-17-09 06:57 PM
    No I am talking about the message that people hear whe they call your number and get your message.
    07-17-09 07:38 PM
    Give me a few - I am almost positive it can be done. I'll log in & check.

07-17-09 10:02 PM
    If you can pull it off I will name my next BB after you :-)
    07-17-09 10:06 PM
    Got it - dial into VM.

Go into Admin Options - make sure you have it set to Extended Prompts.

Back out to main menu.

Go back into Admin Options.

Select Callback Options.

Turn listen through - you can turn it off.

07-17-09 10:27 PM
    So if you go to http://support.vzw.com/pdf/VM_2.pdf can you explain where I need to be?
    07-17-09 10:37 PM
    I may see a problem here. He can do it because he has his on the extra cost (not VVM) business voicemail which has more options and features. They took away the option for some reason awhile back on the basic voicemail and didn't offer it with VVM. I think if you had it turned off when they changed it, then it stayed off.

VVM is different altogether.

07-18-09 12:59 AM
    One of our users just sent us the link to the posting about privacy and YouMail.

We actually take YouMail users privacy very seriously So here's what we do, and what we don't.

1) We absolutely use third parties to provide elements of our service.

For example, we use a third party to provide caller id information - we ship them the number and we get the caller id. We use various third parties who do the transcription - we submit the voicemail message to them anonymously and they reply with the content of the transcription. We use third party ad networks to serve banner ads on the web site and add simple text ads to the end of SMS alerts.

These providers need information - for example, you don't want the same phone number to repeatedly get the same advertisement, and you can't transcribe the voicemail without the audio. However, there are lots and lots of restrictions in these third-party agreements as to what the third parties can do with the information, and we control 100% of the interaction with the customer. That means, for example, you won't ever see a third party using this info to send an e-mail or SMS directly to a YouMail customer.

2) We absolutely do market YouMail offerings to our customers.

Our customers get occasional e-mails and/or voicemails notifying them of new premium services - it's part of the deal with getting a free service, the free service provider has the right to try to get you to pay for things, and you have the right to cancel if they get annoying. This is the standard freemium model.

3) We absolutely don't and won'thave third parties marketing directly to our customers.

That is, while we can use an ad network to put a text ad in an SMS, we don't let third parties have the numbers in order to send SMSs to our customers. Similarly, you might get an ad for a Blackberry application if you have a Blackberry - but that's simply trying to provide ads that are relevant and might be found valuable.

Now, it's true that in theory, as we read our privacy policy - we could take the content of a voicemail and use that content to target an ad, in the same way that gmail, for example, currently takes the content of an e-mail to target ads, or like at least one ad network does with phone conversations in order to provide free phone calls. But we're not, and have no plans to do so - and in fact, since we charge for our high-quality transcription services, they're completely ad-free, so this isn't an issue.

Yes, lawyers can get carried away, and it's really hard to find just the right words to capture what we do and don't do. And we'll take a look at our policy to try to tighten it up to be more accurate.

But the impression left by this poster is really unfair- as almost any of our users can vouch for. We use your info to provide the service, and we keep it private. If you have any questions, contact us directly.

--Alex Quilici
    CEO, YouMail

Sorry I missed this earlier - just sitting here waiting for everyone to get back, so I will try answering now - hopefully not too late.

While YouMails privacy statement promises to shield your email address and phone number, it says nothing about shielding or protecting your voice content. In fact, YouMail stands behind sharing with any and all of their third-party partners. If you dont care about the privacy of your voice messages left on the YouMail servers and you want to get ad content left in the text messages you receive from these people, then by all means sign up.

Their privacy statement straight up to the point: YouMail collects and processes, or has third party service providers who collect and process on YouMails behalf, personal data relating to you, to convey the communications you make by means of the YouMail Software, and carry out YouMail marketing activities.

Once you've agreed to their terms, its now NOT ILLEGAL for YouMail or their third party advertisers to tap into your voicemail content and even your calling activity.

Remember that YouMail reserves the right to modify the provisions of their Privacy Statement "if deemed necessary and without notice and without your permission.

Their Privacy Statement is filled with ambiguities, written by attorneys who are paid to cover things up & cover their tails later. There is the (Email Address) section where they promise not to pass your email to third parties for THEIR marketing purposes. In the Feedback section they say that the names and email addresses they collect may be used by themselves including their service providers (third party advertisers) who may use it in connection with providing the services by YouMail.. In other words, they won't share your information with a third party who is not an advertiser/partner. YouMail collectively shares information freely with their third party advertisers - including email/phone number - with these partners & third party advertisers, many of whom you've never heard of & many who operate outside of US jurisdiction. This means US laws may or may not be followed. Still, this doesn't really matter, since you agreed to let them use your info and you have no agreement protecting you from what the third parties can do with it.

This part of their Privacy Statement sums it up:

We will not provide the names, email addresses, or phone numbers to any other party except our service providers who may use it in connection with providing the services on our site

Then check out the extra clauses:

11. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
    .IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COMPANY BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INDIRECT DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA OR PROGRAMS, SERVICE INTERRUPTIONS AND PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE SERVICES, EVEN IF THE COMPANY KNOWS OR HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE COMPANYS AGGREGATE LIABILITY, ON ANY FORM OF ACTION WHATSOEVER IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT, EXCEED THE PRICE PAID BY YOU FOR YOUR ACCOUNT. THE COMPANY SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES RESULTING FROM ANY CORRESPONDENCE OR BUSINESS DEALINGS WITH THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISERS OR RESULTING FROM THE PRESENCE OF SUCH ADVERTISERS ON THE SERVICE.

12. INDEMNITY BY REGISTERED USER
    You will indemnify and hold harmless the Company, its officers, directors, employees, agents and third parties, for any losses, costs, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys fees) relating to or arising out of your use of the Service, including any breach by you of the Terms of this Agreement.

You are paying nothing for their service, therefore they are liable for nothing - zilch - nada.

At the advice of legal counsel, we do not allow our people to use YouMail, and we don't leave messages on YouMail, when we know it is a YouMail box - all because of possible breach of proprietary info. You may not care about your information or privacy, but what about those who call you with their information? For me, a friend would not subject me to my info being breached - especially since I, like many of your friends, did not agree to the shady terms that YouMail makes you agree to.

[...]

This is why I strongly discourage YouMail usage.

07-28-09 03:58 PM
    I actually have a question..

I've had YouMail for a few months now w/ no issues. However, yesterday I received two notices for regular VM's that would indicate I have two VM's on my basic VZW voicemail (the tape icon w/ a 2 next to it).

They didn't show up in YouMail, and I have no way to access my my VZW VM. If I uninstall YouMail, will it allow me to auto-reactive my old VZW voicemail account? Or will I not have VM at all?

Any ideas?

07-29-09 01:46 AM
    Your VZW VM is still there. You setup a forward to route the call elsewhere. Besides my personal feelings about YouMail, there is something that is undeniable and that is conditional forwarding only handles calls - you're literally forwarding only voice calls to the remote location. What it cannot handle is native VM activity.

If I go into VM and send out a broadcast or peronal message OR I want to forward a message to you with my comments, that goes directly from my VM partition to yours. It cannot be forwarded.

Turn off your conditional forwarding & you will be able to access your VZW VM box again. It would be nice if wireless carriers offered a DID for your VM the way local telcos do - you'd have direct access to your VM, regardless of line forwarding - but they don't. The exchange DIDs exist, but are not published & call centers do not have access to them

07-29-09 02:03 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD