10-04-09 11:49 AM
29 12
tools
    There's so many apps on my Tour and the fine print in the EULA's goes on forever.
    I can't tell which apps are free and which are gonna cost me money to use.

So, does this Visual Voice Mail cost extra above and beyond my plan, or is it included?
    09-30-09 07:37 AM
    yes visual voice mail costs extra.
    09-30-09 07:45 AM
    Cost extra.
    09-30-09 07:45 AM
    I believe its $3.95 a month.
    09-30-09 07:50 AM
    It's 2.99.
    09-30-09 08:07 AM
    I stand corrected. It is $2.99 a month.
    09-30-09 08:18 AM
    Try youmail...it's free visual voicemail.
    09-30-09 09:10 AM
    Try youmail...it's free visual voicemail.
    Its 3 dollars a month. 3 dollars a month for a Verizon approved app that can be supported by Verizon if it gives you a problem. If 3 dollars a month is too much, you dont need a blackberry period.
    09-30-09 11:23 AM
    Its 3 dollars a month. 3 dollars a month for a Verizon approved app that can be supported by Verizon if it gives you a problem. If 3 dollars a month is too much, you dont need a blackberry period.
    Ouch!
    In the grand scheme of things, $3 a month is no big deal, but I've gotten along fine without Visual Voice Mail, so why should I spend extra money on something I don't need? If it was free, I'd enjoy the new toy, but it's not, so I'll be fine without it.
    90% of my Blackberry usage is e-mail, text, internet and PDA. I do need a Blackberry. Don't be such a ******.
    09-30-09 07:21 PM
    The above "OUCH" aside, this is 100% correct - but it doesn't pertain to the OP. It was a response to yet another YouMail spam-piece.

VVM isn't for everyone, but YouMail exposes you to all sorts of issues, from lost messages to possible forwarding toll fees to potential privacy issues.

Yes, they have a well-worded privacy notice, but anyone with half a brain can see right through it. YouMail's partners & third-party partcipants are free to use your calling patterns, as well as your callers' phone number, for their own purposes, without your permission or that of your callers. Can you say spam & telemarketing?

The federal Do Not Call list & telemarketing laws do not apply if you have contacted a business, done business with them or used their equipment at any time in the past 18 months.

But I agree - is you're happy with the standard VM & don't feel VVM is worth it, don't pay it. If you want a VVM clone & want it for free, YouMail is not free & can make the $3/month seem cheap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 08:04 PM
    Ouch indeed.

But there is a point to that. Cellular PDAs are intended to be used for the data services. If you can't afford what they're made for, maybe it's time to get yourself a flip-phone and a little non-cellular PDA. HP makes a few good ones. (I should know.) Just make sure you don't get the expensive one unless you either carry a purse or have ginormous pockets. I have that guy, and he's a monster.

HP Official Store — Buy iPAQ PDAs direct from HP
    09-30-09 10:39 PM
    If 3 dollars a month is too much, you dont need a blackberry period.
    -----------------

If you can't afford what they're made for, maybe it's time to get yourself a flip-phone and a little non-cellular PDA.
    But I don't believe anyone said anything about it being too expensive, did they?

It was a simple question as to whether or not it was a free application, that's all.

Maybe we are too rough on people here.
    09-30-09 10:54 PM
    -----------------

But I don't believe anyone said anything about it being too expensive, did they?

It was a simple question as to whether or not it was a free application, that's all.

Maybe we are too rough on people here.
    Sometimes, but this and other posts were more aimed at the guy bringing up the "Youmail" app than the original poster.

I'm all for budgeting, but I also remember back in college how so many simple "free with advertising" services on the net became progressively worse and worse with progressively more and more advertising, and inevitably, spyware.

Nowadays, we over here at ye olde red phone company (and I'm sure reps here from other carriers can sympathize) have to deal with people getting subscribed to premium messaging, just because they entered their cell number on a site they thought was "free".

There's no such thing as a free lunch, especially on the internet. The *only* exception is if you're a *really* skilled Mabinogi player, or guilded with a lot of people willing to use remote rezzes on you (which cost *them* money...).

(Yes, I do play too many MMOs.)
    09-30-09 11:25 PM
    There's no such thing as a free lunch, especially on the internet.
    I know - I mentioned it in a previous post - but it didn't appear that way.

YouMail & things of its ilk are flocked to by the gullible, the ignorant, the nave. They think YouMail exists for free - that there is nothing behind it.

To the OP, VVM seems like it is frivolous - until you use it. It gets rid of 99% of my complaints about regular VM. If you get a lot of messages, you might want to try it for a month or two.

10-01-09 12:06 AM
    I hear that! No better feature in voicemail than NOT having to listen to it!
    10-01-09 12:21 AM
    The above "OUCH" aside, this is 100% correct - but it doesn't pertain to the OP. It was a response to yet another YouMail spam-piece.

VVM isn't for everyone, but YouMail exposes you to all sorts of issues, from lost messages to possible forwarding toll fees to potential privacy issues.

Yes, they have a well-worded privacy notice, but anyone with half a brain can see right through it. YouMail's partners & third-party partcipants are free to use your calling patterns, as well as your callers' phone number, for their own purposes, without your permission or that of your callers. Can you say spam & telemarketing?

The federal Do Not Call list & telemarketing laws do not apply if you have contacted a business, done business with them or used their equipment at any time in the past 18 months.

But I agree - is you're happy with the standard VM & don't feel VVM is worth it, don't pay it. If you want a VVM clone & want it for free, YouMail is not free & can make the $3/month seem cheap.

After all the hassel and help I went throu to get it started; I did cancel the youmail after reading the T&Cs closer. I agree. I honestly hate spam and as I get a lot of private vm's regarding dr appts and such no way I want that avail to any ****** out there.. ( I know ****** is going to get dubbed... LOL maybe not )
    10-01-09 07:41 AM
    Thanks for all the feeedback.
    Seriously, I use my Crackberry as phone maybe twice a day, and it's typically me dialing out.

Yeah, I just wanted to know if VVM was free or an additional subscription, that's all.
    Sifting through the EULA's makes my eyes hurt :-p
    10-01-09 08:32 AM
    to the ppl bashing the budget savy OP, if we bought every app, or paid for every extra addition that our carrier offered, we most likely have our noses so high in the air that we wouldn't be on here discussing the different posibilitys of the different BB's. I think that comment was arrogant. I sure as **** wouldn't pay 2.99 to have my voicemail read to me, it's just not that damn important. but if it was free, yea i might use it once in awhile. different people have different needs and wants, and shouldn't be cracked on because they dont blow money on something they might not really even want!
    10-02-09 08:55 AM
    to the ppl bashing the budget savy OP, if we bought every app, or paid for every extra addition that our carrier offered, we most likely have our noses so high in the air that we wouldn't be on here discussing the different posibilitys of the different BB's. I think that comment was arrogant. I sure as **** wouldn't pay 2.99 to have my voicemail read to me, it's just not that damn important. but if it was free, yea i might use it once in awhile. different people have different needs and wants, and shouldn't be cracked on because they dont blow money on something they might not really even want!
    Indeed but if they want something extra then they pay for it. I want something extra I have to pay something extra.
    10-02-09 09:32 AM
    Or....here's an idea.....learn what Visual Voicemail actually is before you bash the $2.99 cost. It doesn't read your voicemails to you.
    10-02-09 09:44 AM
    Yeah, do you even know what VVM is? lol "i sure as **** wouldnt pay 2.99..." then dont? Move on? Good game.
    10-02-09 02:27 PM
    I'm not bashing the price. I just wanted to know if it was extra or not because I just don't want "something extra" enough to pay for it.
    I'm getting along fine without it. :-)

The OP thanks all of you for getting your panties in a bunch answering his simple question.
    10-02-09 10:10 PM

Gee, I use YouMail all the time, but I don't have major spam or any calls that I am not supposed to get. I have a web-based email account that has gotten spam for years, so I wouldn't notice any increase in spam that YouMail might be offering. As for YouMail having a hidden cost, yeah, it call-forwards. Whoopie. I got 900 minutes and all my primary phone numbers I call are on the Friends & Family plan, so they're free. So, I get 100 minutes a month of YouMail forwards. It's still free to me! Well, I can make it totally not count by making YouMail forward call part of my F&F, so I ask, what is the big deal about YouMail?
    10-02-09 10:54 PM
    Gee, I use YouMail all the time, but I don't have major spam or any calls that I am not supposed to get. I have a web-based email account that has gotten spam for years, so I wouldn't notice any increase in spam that YouMail might be offering. As for YouMail having a hidden cost, yeah, it call-forwards. Whoopie. I got 900 minutes and all my primary phone numbers I call are on the Friends & Family plan, so they're free. So, I get 100 minutes a month of YouMail forwards. It's still free to me! Well, I can make it totally not count by making YouMail forward call part of my F&F, so I ask, what is the big deal about YouMail?
    Did you ever think about the people who call you?
    10-03-09 12:48 AM
    Wow, sorry I brought up YouMail...

I should have added, I do not use it because I don't need it. I don't need VVM. Some do, I do not. I just dial out for my VM. I have used Verizon's VVM app and YouMail. I liked both for different reasons...but in the end just didn't need it.
    10-03-09 01:29 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD