07-01-10 08:28 AM
131 1234 ...
tools
    True they may get action quicker than we can. Unless we is a lot of we's.
    Some may want to contact NBC as I'm sure they'd like to know their content is being blocked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 10:26 PM
    please forgive my ignorance, but how do you get the blackberry browser on your phone?
    i have a verizon storm
    08-20-09 11:25 PM
    Just a thought, anyone with BIS and the official tether package the $30 add on to your BIS plan? Can you watch the m.nbc.com on your PC through the tether? That would/should use the same VZW IP yes/no? See if they are blocking it there...

Worth a shot, add it, then drop it, free for a month anyway...

If you check your IP is it the same on the BB browser as it is when you tether, if so, then should be going through the same servers (BIS)?

I'm still thinking it could be nbc blocking... due to the similiar error message...
    08-21-09 12:01 AM
    Has anybody realized that nbc is a vcast channel which was just released to the storm (along with many others)? In other words, verizon wants you to download and pay for videos from them rather than watch them free. Is a tater right?
    08-21-09 12:11 AM
    If VZW can hold back part of the Internet for its service, you should be able to hold part of your money back for said blocked service. Call VZW and annoy them. Trust me. Many voices in unison can make a difference.
    08-21-09 12:19 AM
    U have to be on bes
    please forgive my ignorance, but how do you get the blackberry browser on your phone?
    i have a verizon storm
    08-21-09 12:44 AM
    I'm so frustrated with this whole thing, regardless of who's at fault. m.nbc.com used to work perfectly a few months back, why the sudden change. NBC was promoting the fact that you could watch episodes on your Storm. It just doesn't make sense.

And what's even more confusing is if NBC was promoting their website for the storm why would they change the format of the videos to .mov knowing the Storm does not support .mov? And if NBC is on vcast then does that team they have to reformat all of their videos just for verizon? If so that seems like lot of extra work.
    08-21-09 02:42 AM
    My issue with m.nbc.com is not service its browser. The website says that I need to use my WAP browser or Blackberry browser. I'm in that browser. What's the issue?

~Andrew
    08-21-09 03:06 AM
    Is this a violation of our contract with Verizon??
    08-21-09 05:10 AM
    If its true, they are breaking net neutrality laws unless they can prove harm to their network from this site.

08-21-09 05:19 AM
    I use BES at work and I use BIS because it is my personal phone. I am using the .151 OS and I can watch the videos on m.nbc.com just fine
    08-21-09 05:40 AM
    If its true, they are breaking net neutrality laws unless they can prove harm to their network from this site.

Wouldn't be hard to prove. Their network, their stats ...
    08-21-09 08:22 AM
    I don't think its actually being blocked, just not redirecting properly for BIS users.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/if-...ml#post3395501
    Last edited by Azaurath; 08-21-09 at 09:58 AM.
    08-21-09 09:17 AM
    I don't think Vzw is blocking the site I think it's NBC website logic that is blocking anything that is bot a BB browser. I've tried to access their web outside of my BB with the same results.

08-21-09 09:54 AM
    Tethering isn't through the BIS infrastructure. Its VZW all the way.

And other berries on other carriers can view videos no problem. It doesn't make sense. Why would nbc only block inbound IP from particular carrier?

08-21-09 10:00 AM
    Maybe someone in the NBC web dept. f'd up the mobile site for BIS users from Verizon.
    08-21-09 10:14 AM
    I do not think that this is a proof that VZW is blocking the site. It is just a proof that it does work on BES.

When you are using BES, you are using your local server IP. When you are on BIS, your IP belong to RIM, located in Canada.
    On the F.A.Q on nbc.com (NBC.com > Frequently Asked Questions) you can read
    Currently NBC mobile content is only available in the U.S

So I am guessing that if they detect that your IP is from outside of the US, they will deny access

You can get your IP from site like What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more. That site also allow you to find the location of an IP ( at least try ) My reported IP for my BB is 206.53.152.214 and the location information

IP Address Host Name
    206.53.153.214 Unknown
    City Region/State Postal Code Country Name
    TORONTO ONTARIO - CANADA
    Country Code Time Zone Latitude Longitude
    CA -04:00 43.667 -79.417
    ISP Domain Name Net Speed IP Decimal
    RESEARCH IN MOTION INC BLACKBERRY.NET DSL 3459619286

This ( and not some obscure conspiracy )would explain why I am blocked ! and why it is working if you are on BES in the USA
    Last edited by Briard; 08-21-09 at 10:54 AM.
    08-21-09 10:38 AM
    Thanks for the video proof. Saves me having to get a film posted proving it. Just yesterday I came into a thread saying I was on VZW with a Storm and the site worked fine for me. I was asking if BES or BIS had anything to do with it. I was called a liar for making such a claim and was told it was impossible to be with Verizon and to view video on the site. They said it didn't make a difference if it was with BES or BIS.

I will be the first to admit I am a novice with tech stuff & how technically this stuff works. Kind of funny how some make themself out to be experts and are dead wrong sometimes. As a novice, I was a little disappointed coming into a discussion to try and learn something, only to be somewhat attacked and accused to be lying. I guess it unfortunately comes with participating in a community such as this.
    08-21-09 10:52 AM
    I do not think that this is a proof that VZW is blocking the site. It is just a proof that it does work on BES.

When you are using BES, you are using your local server IP. When you are on BIS, your IP belong to RIM, located in Canada.

So I am guessing that if they detect that your IP is from outside of the US, they will deny access

You can get your IP from site like What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more. That site also allow you to find the location of an IP ( at least try ) My reported IP for my BB is 206.53.152.214 and the location information

IP Address Host Name
    206.53.153.214 Unknown
    TORONTO ONTARIO - CANADA

This ( and not some obscure conspiracy )would explain why I am blocked ! and why it is working if you are on BES in the USA
    Then perhaps you can explain these... Clearly my IP on Bolt is in the US, unless Texas has succeeded? I know there was talk of it a while back ;-)

I don't think that IP belongs to verizon???
    if it's blocked either NBC is doing it, or someone (vzw/rim) in between...

Does anyone know if AT&T/tmo/sprint users on BIS can or can't access the videos using the native bb browser?
    08-21-09 12:32 PM

IP Address Host Name
    206.53.153.214 Unknown
    TORONTO ONTARIO - CANADA

Well...

1) nbc advertises it works on all berries (which are all routed through rim)

2) works on non vzw bis browsers

both scenarios show that its not a canadian ip

08-21-09 12:37 PM
    How this for confusing. I have a BIS Storm and get the "you're using the wrong browser" message, but on my BES Tour, I get a "Upgrade to a Storm, Bold, Curve, Pearl, or Wi-Fi enabled Blackberry" message?

Now I'm really confused!
    08-21-09 12:56 PM
    Personally, I think this is VZW trying to get you to pay an extra $10 for V-Cast. I had that on an old phone and most of the clips and episodes were from NBC. VZW probably shut down the free method just before they released V-Cast for the Storm. Hmmmm.......
    08-21-09 02:05 PM
    How this for confusing. I have a BIS Storm and get the "you're using the wrong browser" message, but on my BES Tour, I get a "Upgrade to a Storm, Bold, Curve, Pearl, or Wi-Fi enabled Blackberry" message?

Now I'm really confused!
    you're using a storm with wi-fi, you need to disable the wi-fi, remove the hardware, and then re-install the wi-fi drivers, but you can only use a mac to do all of this, unforunately the DM for mac isn't updated to support this yet, so you'll have to find the gnome of knowledge, answer his three riddles, climb through the looking glass, and on the other side there will be a PC, with the mac DM files you need. do NOT go through the looking glass again or the stay-puff marshmallow man will eat your family. instead, go left, through the trap door, there will be an n64, beat mario kart on the 50cc mode as toad, and then you'll be whisked back to your house to complete your mission.
    08-21-09 03:26 PM
    Patches, did you get that from"How to browse NBC mobile using BIS on the Storm 2" from wikihow.com?

08-21-09 04:34 PM
    no dude, i wrote the original document that wikihow.com took their instructions from...
    08-21-09 04:36 PM
131 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD