08-12-09 05:25 AM
58 123
tools
    Lol, no problem. I don't see why it shouldn't work it worked for me. I believe though that the Motorola Q9M is the only device that you can do this for and I'm sure Verizon is going to stop selling it really soon. Just take my advice and make sure you call Verizon and tell them you want a national data block on your phone or your son will rack you up a huge data bill.
    if you do that no pic msg's
    08-04-09 03:40 PM
    The data plan can be canceled after 90 days. Just be cool.
    NO IT CANT>>. where are you getting that?

BBBandit,

You are aware that the Motorola Q9M is certified pre-owned right?
    there are a few new ones left lmao.. in guam

and just to say it again, if you do what has been suggested here, you will not be able to send or recieve pics on that phone, wont be able to send ringtones to the phone. baisically sms and voice nothing else
    Last edited by jnepsa; 08-04-09 at 03:44 PM.
    08-04-09 03:42 PM
    Bluerskyes,

That particular phone on our plan was not up for renewal. I got this Q in brand new condition on ebay for 40 bucks. That and he wanted to kinda be like dad. Of course it is not a Blackberry :-)

Also none of my kids are allowed to pic message. I just got up the nerve for them to text message. With strict guidelines of course.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
    08-04-09 03:52 PM
    Awesome... a thread with a complaint... that wasn't really an issue.
    08-04-09 04:22 PM
    I suggested this idea to someone once before and got completely shelled for it. I don't know yours or your son's situation, but Verizon offers a lot of phones that are equally as capable. I bought a Pearl and to be honest my old enV did just about everything my Pearl does except for the various aps that I can put on my BB. That's honestly just about it for someone not looking to run a business with their phone. My wife had a chocolate and now uses my old enV. She pays a little extra to receive E-mails and such, but if he doesn't need that service you shouldn't have to pay anything other than the regular charge for the line...I think.
    There are a lot of "cool" phones out there that do what it sounds like he wants to do. May not be as trendy and may not be keeping up with his friends, but his phone will do just about the same stuff for less. Unless he wants internet/E-mail, then no matter what you'll pay extra...maybe not $30, but you'll pay extra.
    Anyway, that's my two cents just to try to give you another avenue which I'm sure you've thought about by now?
    08-04-09 06:50 PM
    I finished reading the posts. I wasn't throwing mud at anyone in here, but trying to help. I guess I'll read the full post before I reply.
    08-04-09 06:52 PM
    Its funny how concrete policies can still yield wildly different answers. Moto Q is pre Nov 2008 and mandatory data plans do not apply. For devices where data plans are mandatory, you can not cancel them, 90 days, etc.

I can understand wanting to get your kids a good phone and I can understand your son wanting to be like you and you being proud about that fact. Given the same circumstances, I would and have done the same thing. I built my son his PC when he was 3 and it was better than most people's PCs out there. But just be prepared for any data charges he may run up if you do not have the national access block in place. Remember, it was your decision as a parent to get him that phone and you must accept responsibility for the consequences.

Aside from that, enjoy it
    08-04-09 07:04 PM
    hey you could get a xv6700 for verizon and it DOES NOT require a data plan, I know this because I have two storms, a rival and xv6700 on my plan. it runs 5.0 windows mobile, up to 4 gig memory, and you can play games, touch screen with stylus and if you want to you can run pocketnester on it that has all the regular nintendo games on it, its an emulator. It can also be converted to more of a touch screen with a program that makes it look and act just like the i phone.
    08-04-09 07:08 PM
    How is he going to download any of those apps with a national access block? That's the point.
    Load from computer. OTA is usually not needed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 08:29 PM
    pocketnester doesnt need OTA, its a .cab file, and the roms for pocketnester he can save on memory card, load pocketnester then run game off sd card. and to make it look like an i phone is a .cab file too right from the pc.
    08-04-09 08:37 PM
    hey you could get a xv6700 for verizon and it DOES NOT require a data plan, I know this because I have two storms, a rival and xv6700 on my plan. it runs 5.0 windows mobile, up to 4 gig memory, and you can play games, touch screen with stylus and if you want to you can run pocketnester on it that has all the regular nintendo games on it, its an emulator. It can also be converted to more of a touch screen with a program that makes it look and act just like the i phone.
    While I appreciate your attempt to offer advice, the 6700 is definitely a pre nov 2008 phone and does not require a data plan. Exactly how many times does the fact that smartphones released prior to Nov 2008 do not require data plans need to be posted?
    08-04-09 10:00 PM
    Ummm read it again. He said it DID NOT....
    08-04-09 10:07 PM
    good thing hes happy now just make sure a block is on there for data so you dont get the big bill next month..
    08-04-09 10:13 PM
    any device made before november 16 2008 dose not need a data package except blackberry..all blackberrys require a data package..with vzw..
    08-04-09 10:14 PM
    Sorry, I stand corrected. There are currently 3 devices that Verizon gives you the option to pay per KB. The Motorola Q9M, the XV6900, and the SMT5800. Like I said before, Verizon will probably start phasing out these devices really soon.
    Any PDA or smartphone (non-blackberry) released before fall 2008 is clear of the data requirement. Centros, for example, can also be added without a data plan.

As much as I hate to say it, some care reps are not as technically minded as the techs, and often don't know the difference.
    08-05-09 12:58 AM
    I have to be honest, I started getting a migraine and blacked out after seeing "Motorola Q".

If that isn't the biggest piece of **** smartphone in the history of wireless, it's a top contender. Ugh.
    08-05-09 01:13 AM
    Now now, just because you don't like the Q doesn't mean the customer isn't allowed to.
    08-05-09 02:33 AM
    Any PDA or smartphone (non-blackberry) released before fall 2008 is clear of the data requirement. Centros, for example, can also be added without a data plan.

As much as I hate to say it, some care reps are not as technically minded as the techs, and often don't know the difference.
    I am well aware of that I was just giving him the options on what devices Verizon offers now. As far as I know the Centro has been discontinued.
    08-05-09 03:49 AM
    four pages??? the op was done and decided on what page 2?
    08-05-09 07:26 AM
    four pages??? the op was done and decided on what page 2?
    Yes but if we give up and start another thread to spout our stuff, people scream at us for multiple posts. So threads continue on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 09:04 PM
    I just wanted to add another post to thread, this really is of no importance at all, the OP was done at page 2, SO what...some people like to add posts and talk about it some more, like some people like to add a post to tell the other posters that the OP was done on page 2
    08-05-09 09:27 PM
    And by the way butthead thats what I said, it does NOT require a data plan. hymm, another post, when the op was done at page 2. he he he he he
    08-05-09 09:29 PM
    I have to be honest, I started getting a migraine and blacked out after seeing "Motorola Q".

If that isn't the biggest piece of **** smartphone in the history of wireless, it's a top contender. Ugh.

I could not agree more.
    08-06-09 07:34 AM

I agree...

I didn't think it could get more boring than an Moto Q... but a Q without data?
    08-10-09 07:25 AM
    I just wanted to add another post to thread, this really is of no importance at all, the OP was done at page 2, SO what...some people like to add posts and talk about it some more, like some people like to add a post to tell the other posters that the OP was done on page 2
    methinks soemone got their feelings hurt, lol
    08-10-09 07:49 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD