08-12-09 05:25 AM
58 123
tools
    Ok, I purchased at Motorola Q for my son. He was going to use it for a phone, organizer, mp3 player, and some games. I did not want a data package with the phone.

For a couple of years I had a Treo with no data. I liked having a phone and organizer all in one. I never had to pay for data. I was figuring I could do the same for my son.

Well was I wrong. I was advised that as of November of last year you are now required to have a Data plan on any phone not just a blackberry. This is crap. This is Verizon trying to get more money.

My son is crushed. Does anyone know if this is in fact true, and is there anyway around it.

Thank
    08-04-09 01:42 PM
    Yeah, thats how they do it now. The only think I can add is that they told me the data plan can be cancelled after a few months, not sure if it is 3 or 6 though. But to my knowledge you aren't required to have the data plan the entire length of the contract.
    08-04-09 01:47 PM
    True. No way around it. Ever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 01:48 PM
    Most carriers either require it now or have plans to. Its just part of owning a smartphone.

VZ has some feature phones that have calendars, and mp3 players. Check out some of those phones.
    08-04-09 01:52 PM
    No this is not true at all. I just signed into my account through Verizon's website and added the Motorola Q9M and it gave me the option to pay per KB. So get that plan and block all data through Verizon customer service and you should be good to go. For future reference this only applies to devices released after November of 2008.
    Last edited by Mike1022; 08-04-09 at 02:12 PM.
    08-04-09 01:55 PM
    Thanks. That really sucks!!! Another way for them to stick to the man!!!
    08-04-09 01:55 PM
    mike1022,

I will give that a try!!! Thanks. My son is smiling. But I told him not to get his hopes up.
    08-04-09 01:57 PM
    Lol, no problem. I don't see why it shouldn't work it worked for me. I believe though that the Motorola Q9M is the only device that you can do this for and I'm sure Verizon is going to stop selling it really soon. Just take my advice and make sure you call Verizon and tell them you want a national data block on your phone or your son will rack you up a huge data bill.
    08-04-09 02:00 PM
    Don't feel bad. It happens ALL around the world. As of 2008 (late 2008) all smartphones and high end phones are required to have a data plan. Here in europe we have unlimited (truly unlimited) data plans, and they're REQUIRED when buying an iphone, blackberry or anything else as a new contract. If you're upgrading a plan or just upgrading your phone, it's not required (yet...)... It's a crappy plan. But hey, I've been with a data plan for the past 3 years, I can't complain.
    08-04-09 02:00 PM
    Mike1022,

It worked. Now how do I keep him from getting on the internet. He does have texting though. He is smiling from ear to ear.
    08-04-09 02:06 PM
    Sorry, I stand corrected. There are currently 3 devices that Verizon gives you the option to pay per KB. The Motorola Q9M, the XV6900, and the SMT5800. Like I said before, Verizon will probably start phasing out these devices really soon.
    08-04-09 02:06 PM
    You call Verizon and tell them you want to put a national data block on that phone. The only problem is he won't be able to send/receive any pictures or sounds through text messaging, but he will have regular text messaging.
    08-04-09 02:08 PM
    The data plan can be canceled after 90 days. Just be cool.
    08-04-09 02:13 PM
    BBBandit,

You are aware that the Motorola Q9M is certified pre-owned right?
    08-04-09 02:15 PM
    The data plan can be canceled after 90 days. Just be cool.
    Not true at all.
    08-04-09 02:16 PM
    mike1022,

It gave me the option on the regular Q. I checked per kb and it said no extra charge on account.
    08-04-09 02:16 PM
    I bet you won't be smiling ear to ear when he racks up a huge bill that you'll have to pay for. Get him either an Envy or a job.

Not if they block the data on the phone.
    08-04-09 02:17 PM
    You don't need data on a moto q.

08-04-09 02:19 PM
    Bluerskyes,

Why would I get a huge bill if I checked the pay per kb, and then do the data block? Just curious.
    mike1022,

It gave me the option on the regular Q. I checked per kb and it said no extra charge on account.

Oh okay because the one on the website is a certified pre-owned Motorola Q9M. I just wanted to make sure you were aware of that. Just out of curiosity, when you said before you couldn't do it without the data plan you called customer service?
    Thanks. That really sucks!!! Another way for them to stick to the man!!!
    Oh stick it to yourself. Here's a little secret.......a businesses purpose is to make money. The real joke is you buying a phone for a kid who isn't going to use it for what its intended to do.

Ok, I purchased at Motorola Q for my son. He was going to use it for a phone, organizer, mp3 player, and some games. I did not want a data package with the phone.

For a couple of years I had a Treo with no data. I liked having a phone and organizer all in one. I never had to pay for data. I was figuring I could do the same for my son.

Well was I wrong. I was advised that as of November of last year you are now required to have a Data plan on any phone not just a blackberry. This is crap. This is Verizon trying to get more money.

My son is crushed. Does anyone know if this is in fact true, and is there anyway around it.

Thank
    This is only true for phones released from Nov of last year and forward. You should be able to have a pay as you go data on your Q then put a data block on it. using the online esn changer or plan adjustment tool will prompt these choices as I still have them with my Q.
    08-04-09 02:23 PM
    Any new devices after a certain launch date require the data plan. The Q9m, Q9c, and standard original Q are from BEFORE that launch date, so they DO NOT require the data plan. BUT... if you want any new data device, yes, they require the data plan. Pretty much all carriers are doing that now, from what I've heard (I think AT&T started doing that a couple months ago but I don't recall for sure).
    08-04-09 02:26 PM
    Wireless Vet,

Suppose you are correct. By all means I am not against anyone making money. Just figured that it was something that could be done before, so why did they have to change it. As for buying the phone for it's intended use. I did by it for some of it's intended use. Just not internet. Thanks for the insight.
    08-04-09 02:26 PM
    All is good. Per kb, with a data block. Son is happy!! Thanks for all the help.
    08-04-09 02:30 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD