06-24-09 05:24 PM
80 1234
tools
    On the other hand, its hard for me to believe that one person has had to have a phone replaced multiple upon multiple times. I can see someone getting a bad phone once, and maybe, maybe twice, but when it gets to three times or more, something isn't right.

When someone is interested in this phone, I admit to them that I've seen and heard every glitch possible. Especially when it's a new BB user, I will also recommend the Curve over the Storm. I also tell them I've had mine since December of last year and haven't had it replaced once. Sure there have been disappointments along the way, like the camera issue, and the white screen and hour and clock appearing, etc. Maybe I'm a bit more tolerant, and don't expect something this advanced to be 100 percent perfect all the time. But the new upgrade did wonders for it, almost like it's a whole new phone.

We have a girl who comes in to our store, and I believe she's had it replaced at least four times. I just can't and won't believe that you can get that unlucky that many times.
    You are more tolerant than most, I must admit. I also recommend the Curve over the storm. Until the latest software upgrade that is. Now I honestly sell the Storm with confidence.

In the case of the girl replacing the Storm 4 times, its just UE at that point. Its highly unlikely (barring a bad batch) statistically that 4 devices in a row went bad.
    06-22-09 05:26 PM
    verizon landline is publicly traded, VZW is NOT public. it's privately owned. VZCOMM is a part owner, as is vodafone.

just wanted to clarify that part, don't want to get the two confused. that could cause for quite the confusion.
    You're right. I'm sorry about that. However, Vodafone is publicly traded I'm pretty sure (someone verify this for me) And VZW Communication is definitely publicly traded. VZW is its holding, so you better believe it answers to them in terms of profitability, etc.
    06-22-09 05:32 PM
    mexiken....sorry about spelling your handle wrong. i was scrolling up and down the page while typing and just read it wrong. my appologies.

and you do make good points, and again...everyones feedback is much appreciated. i just get frustrated when someone have a legitimate complaint/problem and everyone starts getting on them about "user error" just because they havent had the same experience.

trust me, i would LOVE to have gotten the storm and still be on my first one! its not fun by any means to have to keep going to the store or calling vzw to get a replacement!

but again, thank you everyone for your input! i greatly appreciate it.

I feel I should apologize.

I work in Hollywood and well, everyone here thinks they're a movie star. They "all" can't live without their phones, they all need their phones replaced IMMEDIATELY, they can't wait overnight for an insurance claim, and they all flip out and talk about how, "they've been customers for 10 years" or, "I spend x hundred dollars a month with you guys"

I kid you not, I hear it at least 5 times a day. It gets repetititve. We give them options, and they're just not good enough.

I just wanted to let you know, that although you did have bad service, which I do apologize for, and promise you its not the norm, and like someone eloquently said, its not our credo, that you did have some courtesies extended to you beyond the normal customer. So you are obviously a valued customer, and we wouldn't like to see you or anyone leave, but we also don't want you to be unhappy either.

I wish they would have been more satisfactory and more to your liking, but unfortunately, the company is trying to stay profitable in an economy that Im sure you're aware of, isn't the best when you're the most expensive cell phone company. And because of that, we've been forced to actually enforce our policies that we slack on because we're people too, and we understand what its like to be on the other side of the counter. I can assure you it sucks to say, "Im sorry, all I can do is give you another Storm" Its not a good feeling. But thats what someone far far above us at the store decide, and thats what we have to go with to keep our job.
    06-22-09 05:50 PM
    the process is that way for a reason. don't expect to get exceptions every time you have a problem. you have to play the game by the rules you agreed to at the beginning. if going through the warantee process is way too much for you, go somewhere else. i guarantee you the grass ISN'T greener on the other side of the fence. and you don't know what you got till it's gone because every rose has its thorns. so take a walk on the wild side and have a drink on me.
    06-22-09 07:06 PM
    If someone can show me how screen click issues and phones freezing with the alarm clock blasting are user error and I will GLADLY keep this phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    neither of those are user error. they're either hardware malfunction or software flaws. if it's the latter, a wipe and re-install of the OS (don't do a full restore of user data, just restore contacts as if it was a new device, and change all settings manually)

i told you before, if you need help email me. guess you don't need help that bad...sounds like you're just here to ***** now.
    06-22-09 07:07 PM
    If Verizon is "bleeding" money because of the returns as you say, then they need to do better QC of the phones they are going sell,
    Just like Kroger does QC on that can of tuna? Or is it the QC that Best Buy does on the Vizio television your just bought? How about the QC your local Chevy dealer does on that new Malibu? Did your local CATV provider do QC on that modem they sold (not leased) you?

Maybe we can also point fingers @ AT&T for releasing the Bold too soon, even pressuring RIM into letting loose of it, even after several European carriers, suspended sales & marketing of it - if I remember correctly, Orange was the first to ax the Bold & they didn't resume selling it until after AT&T started offering it - AT&T had issues not only with the Bold, but with iPhone, too. Maybe Orange & AT&T should QC their phones?
    or perhaps get out of selling phones completely and open their network to other phones like they promised. It would be better for all customers if we really had that option.
    Then you will be stuck trying to deal with the retailer you found online, in a place often not clearly listed on their Website.

There are pros & cons to each sales model. One or the other may suit some folks better than others & any change will leave some unhappy.

Also remember that you get subsidized prices now. If the carriers were to get out of selling phones, would you be happy paying full retail on them? When you think about it, given the prospect of spending $450-$800 for a smartphone, including BlackBerry, how many people here would still get one and how many would revert to dumbphones?

In the case of the girl replacing the Storm 4 times, its just UE at that point. Its highly unlikely (barring a bad batch) statistically that 4 devices in a row went bad.
    Exactly - the majority of Storm issues have been overblown by Internet hype. Four in a row is hard to swallow, especially when I know quite.a few people who've never once complained about theirs.
    On the other hand, its hard for me to believe that one person has had to have a phone replaced multiple upon multiple times. I can see someone getting a bad phone once, and maybe, maybe twice, but when it gets to three times or more, something isn't right.
    Wow Scott, aren't you the same person who went after several people (including me) in defense of someone having NINE examples of an LG phone? Is it normal or not? Or do you just post whatever happens to fit your motive at the time?

If someone can have problems with nine LG phones, why can't someone have problems with four Storms, a device I've seen you chastise in the past?

I am trying to wrap my head around this and understand which side of the fence you actually stand on. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

====================
    ====================

As for the OP, there have been many phones released with problems. I can list many, but won't due to space constraints & the fact you can find them with a simple search. These phones have been released by many carriers, some no longer in existence. Competitive pressures, cost constraints, shoddy design & consumer demand have caused most of these problems.

The design of the Storm is lacking. There are a few issues with the hardware that cannot be fixed with software probably the most glaring of these issues is the touch-screen interface. The Storm is no iPhone, nor will it ever be. The Storm2 will be better, but I don't think it will be a match for whatever Apple has out at the time, because Apple dealt with a fresh design without previous expectations. They identified a market & built to it and are now on the third gen of the idea. RIM designed with the then-current iPhone as a target, while trying to meet BlackBerry consumer expectations. They failed miserably, by some accounts. The Storm2 is aimed at the second gen iPhone, but by the time it is released, we may have a fourth gen iPhone in the wings.

The Storm issues are no more VZW's fault than the original iPhone was AT&T's fault or the original Sidekick was T-Mobile's fault - no carrier makes phones. The blame for defective products lies with RIM, HTC, LG, Moto, etc.

Most stores limit returns for defects at 30 days, while some are less and still others will direct you to the manufacturer immediately. Once you start dealing with the manufacturer of that Kadiddlehopper 9000 Widget Maker, they can fix it or replace it, at their option. What you will not find are manufacturers who will allow you to change to a different model. Once purchased, if you're out of the posted store limits for exxhanges and into the manufacturer's warranty, you're stuck with that model until you buy a new one.

Look at it this way - you buy a new HP Quad Core computer at Best Buy (14 day return limit) and start having trouble with it when it is 6 weeks old, you have to deal with HP, right? Regardless of your satisfaction level with the manufacturer's solution, the reasonable soul does not blame Best Buy and they don't expect an exchange for a dual core, or an I7 or for another brand - you get the model you originally purchased.

Or, as a recent promo, one of the local CATV-based Internet providers offered an HP computer for a discounted price with service contract - all hardware tech support & warranty was through HP & not the CATV company.

Why would you treat VZW differently than you would Best Buy (or the CATV provider)? Why would you let RIM off the hook for the warranty and transfer responsibility back to the seller? Buy that TV from Amazon.com and 6 months later, do you blame Amazon or Pioneer? No mobile carrier offers "satisfaction or your money back." They are not Nordstrom or the old Sears-Roebuck or even Costco (who now also limits electronics returns), all of whom offer or offered such promises.

I am not trying to beat you up - just simply trying to inject some reason to the thought process.

06-22-09 07:54 PM

Wow Scott, aren't you the same person who went after several people (including me) in defense of someone having NINE examples of an LG phone? Is it normal or not? Or do you just post whatever happens to fit your motive at the time?

If someone can have problems with nine LG phones, why can't someone have problems with four Storms, a device I've seen you chastise in the past?

I am trying to wrap my head around this and understand which side of the fence you actually stand on. Which is it? You can't have it both ways.

He's doing similar things in the 9630 forum. Its getting really old.
    06-22-09 10:12 PM
    I understand, but at the same time why would a company put out a product that is not reliable?!
    Ummm, I've had the Storm since day 1 ... in fact, I was in line at 6:30 on Day 1.

Since then, I've received every call, placed every call, sent/received every text, and have had very few rebooting problems. Well, no more than my PC, and I rarely notice that.

I just don't get the 'unreliable' claim.

You decided to be an early adopter. An early adopter of technology cannot expect perfection. It takes a few OS iterations to get it right, and even the most "perfected" OS will not be PERFECT. If you think the iPhone *never* needs a reset, it's not true.

The smarter the device, the more problems you're likely to have with it.

That being said, I do think Verizon's biggest mistake is ... after TWO Storms, the problem was probably less the phone and more your dislike of it. I do agree -- it would've saved them money and you frustration if they just offered you a different device at that time. But, I have to agree, you did get more than you bargained for, because I refuse to believe that THREE devices failed you like you say (in my office, 4 of us have Storms, we've each had 1 version each, and no one has called the device unreliable. And since .148, those 4 people are extremely happy).
    06-22-09 10:29 PM
    heather.law, I want to thank you for your input. And let me reassure everyone out there who is quick to judge everyone as inexperienced, and blame user error, that this is not the case. My phone randomly reboots and my left bottom corner does not click. As I type this, my buttons are not highlighting and my qwerty is very slow to respond. I am not looking for something free, I would even pay for a phone if I can rely on it. For those like heather who offered good advice, thank you so much and I greatly appreciate it. For those looking to talk down to everyone, thank you for wasting my time

I'm not wasting your time, I happen to agree that after 3 models, they should offer you something else.

But looking at your profile, you have OS .141? Not an official VZW OS? They even honored all these trade-ins?

See, even here, there's something fishy about your situation. I thought an unofficial OS voided your warranty.

Again, I think most of the people were just showing you the other side of the coin, in that going through 4 phones sounds more like user error than production error, when I'm sure the vast MAJORITY of people have had zero problems with their phone, other than some software issues that have been cleared up with .148. I agree with whoever said ... is it really possible that some people are truly having issues with 4-5 separate Storms? It really does not seem possible.
    06-22-09 10:48 PM
    But looking at your profile, you have OS .141? Not an official VZW OS? They even honored all these trade-ins?

See, even here, there's something fishy about your situation. I thought an unofficial OS voided your warranty.
    I have returned things to VZ without the unofficial os. The CSR never check and I doubt they know how let alone know which os is official.

Ok that was a little harsh to the VZ reps, but I just don't have a lot of faith in their knowledge especially when it comes to smartphones. That has been my experience dealing with corporate VZ stores in my neck of the woods.
    06-22-09 10:54 PM
    I agree and I always wonder if he really works for verizon or even an auth retailer. I know I can't see vzw keeping someone with his attitude. At the very least, he isn't bright enough to cover his own tracks.

Last edited by DesertDogs; 06-22-09 at 11:41 PM.
    06-22-09 11:37 PM
    I agree and I always wonder if he really works for verizon or even an auth retailer. I know I can't see vzw keeping someone with his attitude. At the very least, he isn't bright enough to cover his own tracks.
    I know - I've seen it. When called out for it, he shucks & jives in a condescending tone trying to weasel out of it.

But I am glad I am not the only one who notices it.

06-22-09 11:48 PM
    I have returned things to VZ without the unofficial os. The CSR never check and I doubt they know how let alone know which os is official.

Ok that was a little harsh to the VZ reps, but I just don't have a lot of faith in their knowledge especially when it comes to smartphones. That has been my experience dealing with corporate VZ stores in my neck of the woods.
    I'm in sales, and can tell you, thats the FIRST thing I check, and all the employees at my store check, when someone comes in with Storm issues (which has SIGNIFICANTLY dropped since .148 came out)

They might have swapped because they know theres issues and its easier to FRU it out rather than deal with people and their overexaggerated claims of how its unreliable, but you know, thats the laziness of the particular reps.
    06-23-09 12:22 AM
    just to clear up some of you questioning my credibility...i have been with verizon only since march, and i have the official .148 on my phone. i appologize that i dont keep my crackberry profile updated to the minute.

again, if anyone wants to tell me that bad click screens and powering off phones are user error, or wants to tell me i am just hear to *****, etc, then pm me...dont take up other peoples time having to read know-it-all responses.

again, for thos of you who offered good insight and advice, i appreciate it and thank you very much. i was just on here to get other peoples point of view.
    06-23-09 04:58 PM
    and patches, i did everything you recommended me to do before i posted the original post. this is why i never sent you a pm...so thanks for your input, and i will stop wasting your time with my "********" now
    06-23-09 05:00 PM
    if you did everything i suggested, then it's a hardware issue and there's nothing anyone on here can help with. you're gonna have to deal with the warantee process.

my suggestion is this, if you still want to work on it:

get on the horn with VZW C/S...have 'em look up every store within a radius that you're willing to drive to, and have them call and check FRU stock at each location. don't bother going if they don't have more than 3. then go and have 'em pull every phone, check for click issues (doesn't need to be active, you can just tell by clicking the screen), check the charging port is in tact, power it up and make sure screen doesn't have that orange/yellow pond scum tint to it, and which ever one fares best take it and run.

i'd suggest you talk to a manager at a store on the phone and explain your situation, and politely suggest that scenario to them, and if they agree, then you got a gamer on your hand, they're gonna do what it takes to get the job done. if they don't bite, then say "thank you", and call the next location.

this is what i call "fishing" for a rep that will be your advocate, and is willing to go the extra mile to help you.
    06-23-09 05:31 PM
    jburke2510, I've had some disappointment with VZW customer service too and I am currently going through the warranty process. I'd like to know how things work out for you...
    Last edited by vllssv; 06-23-09 at 07:13 PM.
    06-23-09 07:10 PM
    well i cancelled my verizon, and went back to ATT (and i know...most people dislike att, but i have never had a problem with them. i switched because it would have been easier with me and my fiancee on the family plan)

then today i finally got a response to my email i sent about the poor customer service, and how i felt disrespected. the people this time were great, and offered me any phone, any model, at a 1 year activation price if i came back to verizon. so now i am debating what to do...we shall see i guess.
    06-23-09 09:27 PM
    So did you port your number/s back to AT&T or did you just cancel with VZW directly?

Unlike my experiences with them in the past, my recent experiences with VZW customer service have been very inconsistent. About 30% of the time I'll get someone very nice, helpful, and proficient. Other times it will vary. In my opinion Verizon in general can be pretty arrogant, like any other company with a large market share. I believe they can release a product not quite ready for the market or not have the best selection of products because they know they have a good network that customers will have a hard time leaving. I used to work for Verizon just not it in wireless and I used to be such a hardcore Verizon advocate of all their products and services. Now I have mixed feelings regarding VZW and I’m hoping these less than stellar experiences are in part symptoms of the current economy. But I don’t think the it excuses them either. These are just my opinions...

Well I'd be interested to know if you make any more carrier changes. In any event, I hope you find the best wireless service and device/s for you
    Last edited by vllssv; 06-23-09 at 10:21 PM.
    06-23-09 10:14 PM
    yea i just ported my number back. unfortunately one person (or in this case 2) can ruin a good thing for you.
    06-23-09 11:26 PM
    They shouldn't talked to you that way. You can call back and speak with someone else and explain the situation to them and tell them that you feel you were disrespected by the way the other manager and customer support representative treated you. Ask if they can do anything for you as to trading the storm for the curve again. If they do, and that a big if, they most likely note on your account that you did and that they have already accommodated you and probably wont let you do it again.
    06-24-09 05:27 AM
    I
    It works both ways.

A girl came in last night and has had her phone for over two months and has never pulled the battery. She also had some theme that was like a gif file that was causing the phone to freeze. After a batter pull and her permission to delete the theme, it was like brand new.
    06-24-09 12:57 PM
    For the record, I've experienced this TWICE. They weren't even smart phones and the phones they replaced them with are REFURBISHED ones. The refurbished phones they provided me were also malfunctioning (button wouldn't click properly, the screen would light up like it should, HUGE delays in accessing specific apps, and on and on). So I've had to switch my phone 3 or 4 times. Thankfully Verizon was kind enough to let me switch to a completely different phone after I've switched it so many times.
    06-24-09 01:20 PM
    It works both ways.

A girl came in last night and has had her phone for over two months and has never pulled the battery. She also had some theme that was like a gif file that was causing the phone to freeze. After a batter pull and her permission to delete the theme, it was like brand new.
    now that is effing funny
    06-24-09 01:53 PM
    Never go into a store. Always call on the phone. There is a customer support line you can call and they will return the Storm if you explain in detail what your problem is.

Also the CD analogy is not a good analogy. The CD is made for pennies but the music on the CD is more valuable than the CD itself. The cost of the album takes into account artist royalties, recording costs, producing/staff costs, advertising, packaging, etc etc etc.
    06-24-09 02:17 PM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD