06-24-09 05:24 PM
80 123 ...
tools
    i used to be an AT&T customer, and never had a problem with them. I switched to verizon and me and my girlfriend have the family plan...saves us some cash. i started with a storm and had a ton of problems, so i went back to a curve before my 30 days. then the storm update came out, and i tried it again. i am now on my third storm since going back (4 storms total).

yesterday i called customer service about my storm, stating that i honestly am fed up with my phones freezing, shutting down, and my buttons not working, and the screen problems (AND YES, I AM ON THE MOST CURRENT OS). i told them that i want a phone that i dont have to worry about, and told them i wouldnt even mind a phone that wasnt exactly equal value of the storm.

the first rep i spoke to told me basically i had no choice...i either keep exchanging the storms, or pay $155 to cancel my service, and that there was no way they would wiave the fee. this guy spoke to me like i was three years old, and was somewhat insulting, so i asked to speek to his manager.

now the manager was even worse...he was extremely sarcastic and condesending towards me. for example, he told me that they go through steps to check out the phone before they issue a replacement. i told him i am aware of that since i have done it more than once. he then said "oh, im sorry...are you a verizon technician??". i said excuse me? so he asked again! i asked if he was getting sarcastic with me! anyway, the conversation ended with him telling me they would do nothing but exchange the storm again.

i have never EVER been treated this way by ANY company customer service before! does anyone have any suggestions on what my next step should be?? i like verizon service, but just want a worry free phone. i am very tempted to cancel my service with verizon just because of how i was treated!you can only touch a stove and be burnt so many times before you stop touching it!

any reps or anyone else out there with any ideas?
    06-21-09 07:44 PM
    In the fact that you went from a storm to a curve and then back to a storm sounds like they made some exceptions for you already.

Now regarding the current storm that you have. Do you use all of the cookies/cache deleting steps? that usally helps with any freezing on the phone itself. a master reset is the also the next most likely fix. just make sure you are backing all of your info up with the desktop manager. Hope this helps. Your cell phone (Verizon, sprint, att) provider can only bend over backwards so much before they snap. Im not saying that they should speak to you in a demeaning manner, but their hands are already tied by your inability (to use your phone) and to make a descion on what phone you want to carry.
    Last edited by bonitagirl747; 06-21-09 at 08:33 PM.
    06-21-09 08:21 PM
    I went through three storms and they let me trade it for a curve and then credited the difference in price to my bill. Maybe try going into a corp store if there is one close by or call again and see if you can get someone different. Pm me if you have any questions about doing it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 08:24 PM
    yea i started at a corporate store again, and they told me theonly option is to call customer service. ive tried all the tricks, but each storm i have had has not been working properly. it doesnt have anything to do with me not liking the phone, but i need a phone that i dont have to keep trading in every month or so! thats it! the thing that really threw me off the handle was how i was spoken to by the verizon reps...THAT is why i am debating just droping them completely. i was treated like crap and feel there is nothing i can do about it.

oh, and btw...i work in the banking industry and deal with people everyday. i am not exagerating about the treatment, and i handled myself very professionally...even while being insulted.

and bonitagirl...i dont really see having a curve and paying to go back to a storm as "bending over backwards". they got their money, and didnt really do any favors.
    06-21-09 08:48 PM
    missjennell...thanks for your input. i thought about calling again, but im afraid that the guys i dealt with marked my account with notes that might not be the most accurate, ya know? im not trying to scam or start trouble, i just want a reliable phone. i am paying monthly for service, and paid for a phone...and i dont think that is too much to ask for!
    06-21-09 08:50 PM
    i started with a storm and had a ton of problems, so i went back to a curve before my 30 days.
    Should have stuck with the curve.

i told them that i want a phone that i dont have to worry about
    So what was wrong with the curve?
    06-21-09 09:03 PM
    they didnt give me an option about going to a curve.

can someone chime in who isnt looking just to nickpick at peoples threads?!
    06-21-09 09:26 PM
    they didnt give me an option about going to a curve.

can someone chime in who isnt looking just to nickpick at peoples threads?!
    You said you already had the Curve. I'm just questioning your logic.
    06-21-09 09:32 PM
    Jburke I had the same problems with my curves I fimally called enough people got treated like s__t allot but I finally got a diff model its not gona be a bb though but a reliable phone the other phone is being changed for a bb flip
    06-21-09 09:33 PM
    yea i dont mind another phone...there are plenty of other models that are dependant and reliable. i wouldnt mind an lg or something to that extent.

Thank you big mike...i guess there IS hope! how many people did you have to talk to to get there??
    06-21-09 09:43 PM
    Do you still have your curve laying around? If then call and activate it then ebay off your storm.
    Or, if you have really had it because of the one instance of truly lousy CS, then go elsewhere and ebay both the storm and the curve and use that money to pay the ETF.
    However you sound like a smart guy and I bet you have come up with these solutions yourself. There is a small chance you may receive satisfation during the save attempt by the customer retentions department, but I wouldn't guarantee anything. I'm sure everyone at at VZW CS is plenty tired of the volume of storm support calls and I wouldn't be surprised if they just let you walk away. They have like 80 million spare customers to take your place.

06-21-09 09:50 PM
    yea thats what i was thinking too. i have nothing against verizon, but this instance of customer service (i feel) was extremely unexceptable, ya know?

i was contemplating paying the fee, then selling off the storm to atleast get some of it back...but i just hate to do it.

in a perfect world, they would have just offered me a different phone! thats all!!

thanks for the help guys
    06-21-09 10:25 PM
    funny thing is...the "manager" i spoke to told me the storm is an extremely reliable device and they dont have many problems with it! at the same time, he couldnt gaurantee me that the next one they send will work.

by the way...i put manager in quotes because who knows who i actually spoke to. the first rep could very well have tossed me over to his buddy just to say he was a manager. i dont know.

thanks again guys
    06-21-09 10:27 PM
    yea i started at a corporate store again, and they told me theonly option is to call customer service. ive tried all the tricks, but each storm i have had has not been working properly. it doesnt have anything to do with me not liking the phone, but i need a phone that i dont have to keep trading in every month or so! thats it! the thing that really threw me off the handle was how i was spoken to by the verizon reps...THAT is why i am debating just droping them completely. i was treated like crap and feel there is nothing i can do about it.

oh, and btw...i work in the banking industry and deal with people everyday. i am not exagerating about the treatment, and i handled myself very professionally...even while being insulted.

and bonitagirl...i dont really see having a curve and paying to go back to a storm as "bending over backwards". they got their money, and didnt really do any favors.

Lets consider what happened here.

You bought a phone, which is subsidized with a 2 year contract (the 2 Year prices are meticulously calculated, to the dollar using averages and trends). The phone retails for $500. You returned it. As a company, VZW can not sell that phone new anymore. Best it gets is it ends up on the CLN circuit, and is a FRU phone, eventually.

You got a Curve. That phone retails for 429.99. Company policy (at direct Retail stores anyway) is that you're allowed ONE exchanged phone per WFG period. In that instance, you'd be stuck with the Curve. They LET YOU, as a courtesy, because I'm sure you were being polite and courteous, exchange your phone AGAIN. Now the company just lost another phone that cannot be sold new because you returned it. You took another Storm, which again, retails for $500. You keep swapping your Storms, which is in an essence a wash, so we won't count those.

Please explain how you being able to purchase $1,400 worth of equipment while only exchanging it for ONE contract isn't fair or generous to you ???? Verizon does not "get their money" back simply because you return a phone. You return a brand new car 5 days later (which you can't do in CA by the way) and guess what ???? The car has depreciated value. It did AS SOON as you drove it off the lot. Guess what, a phone is no different I'm afraid. The phone can't be just put back on the shelf and sold again. It doesn't work that way. Its lost nearly all value (it can function as a FRU after a monthy or so)

Verizon is BLEEDING money because handset return rates are out of control. I won't talk specifics, but its in the MILLIONS, yes, MILLIONS, per month. The fault lies in your rep who should have set the expectation for the update first and foremost, and second, they should have been more firm in their policy, in my opinion.

The point is. They did you favors. I wish I could help with the troubleshooting more of the phone, but I'm not such a heavy user, and the threads here for that are numerous and more helpful than I could be. I just thought I should let you know that its not quite as black and white as you perceive things to be.

Im sorry if I'm coming off as bashing. But few people fail to realize that the company, as like any other does INDEED lose LOTS of money by customers returning devices at their whim. A little bit more research and some more hands on time at the store in combination with VZW employees qualifying customers better would serve all interested parties much more.
    06-21-09 10:32 PM
    I understand, but at the same time why would a company put out a product that is not reliable?!

and lets get serious here...RIM makes good products, but once they started mass producing consumer friendly devices that are targeted at a younger, broader demographic, the quality dropped. if you want to talk about "how much money is being being bled", then inform me how much money it takes to make one of these phones...and i gaurantee you it isnt $500.

so nevermind that...you should know that "retail price" has nothing to do with how much is spent on the phone..."retail price" is how much the phone is bumped up in price to sell at RETAIL places. for example, lets say the average CD is sold at $15. do you know how much it takes to produce the CD?! PENNIES!!! so you are looking at a $14.90 profit.

I dont feel verizon "did me a favor" by any means. but dont go getting in depth and comparing phones to cars. if you work for verizon, then thats great. again i have NOTHING against the company OR the service...just how I was treated.

if you want to be in business...make sure your product holds up. my opinion is that verizon bought into the storm, and whether it was RIM or verizon, it was pushed out too soon. now they are struggling to keep up with it, and i have been giving them the benefit of the doubt. but i can only do that so much.

i signed a 2 year deal, and paid everything they needed me too, and the 2year deal i signed was supposed to include a device that works. i have not yet seen that device. bad business and bad customer service.

and yes mexikan...you did come across brash. i posted this post to get help with being treated like crap from verizon and see if anyone had ideas for me, not to be lectured by someone who may or may not know what they are talking about.
    06-21-09 10:49 PM
    and again...if you dont want to spend the cash to replace phones, then sell ones that work properly. i have no sympathy, sorry.
    06-21-09 10:50 PM
    If Verizon is "bleeding" money because of the returns as you say, then they need to do better QC of the phones they are going sell, or perhaps get out of selling phones completely and open their network to other phones like they promised. It would be better for all customers if we really had that option.
    06-21-09 10:53 PM
    thank you! thats my whole point...thank you wxman.

again, i like the storm...but everyone i just want a phone that is reliable and i dont have to visit the store for monthly.

plus mexikan, if they have no problem sending me a new storm everytime mine decided to not work, then why not just send me a different model of something?! what is the difference??
    06-21-09 11:09 PM
    once you get a "good" storm you should have no further problems. maybe try calling a different reigon so they ship from a different warehouse/batch of storms?

do you have any friends that have an out of town number that you could call from? that will route you to their local area, then you're free to do your thing.
    06-22-09 01:19 AM
    Sorry for how you were treated. That was wrong.

As far as being put over to the original reps friend and him saying he's a sup...trust me, unless that rep was BEGGING to be fired, that wasn't the case. It's something that is joked about, but not actually done. I know where I work I'd be shown the door in an instant for transferring to a rep and passing it off as a sup.

I do agree that sending out new devices costs the company money. I see it done every day, for special situations. As service providers, they try their best to help make sure you get the most out of the service with your device. But, as SERVICE PROVIDERS, they do exactly that, provide the service. VZW doesn't make the phones, and though the company has a hand in on device software, they don't mastermind that, either. Warranty services on hardware is provided as a convenience so you don't have to speak to the manufacturer. If the warranty process is the issue, speaking to your manufacturer, RIM in this case, may be another option. No where, in any contract with any provider is it guaranteed that your phone will work for the length of your contract. Trust me, if it said that, we'd know about it.

Please don't take this in any way as defending how you were treated. I feel that was extremely poor and disgraceful! I've never heard any supervisor at my place of work speak that way to a customer. EVER. I'm very sorry about that!

But, please do remember that any one who is trying to help you is trying to maintain a balance, the balance between what is best for you, the customer, and the company itself.

That said, I'd call back. Not every one you speak to will be so awful!
    06-22-09 01:54 AM
    Planetfeedback.com

06-22-09 02:08 AM
    OP, if you need further help, email me

patches152@gmail.com
    06-22-09 02:12 AM
    and lets get serious here...RIM makes good products, but once they started mass producing consumer friendly devices that are targeted at a younger, broader demographic, the quality dropped. if you want to talk about "how much money is being being bled", then inform me how much money it takes to make one of these phones...and i gaurantee you it isnt $500.

so nevermind that...you should know that "retail price" has nothing to do with how much is spent on the phone..."retail price" is how much the phone is bumped up in price to sell at RETAIL places. for example, lets say the average CD is sold at $15. do you know how much it takes to produce the CD?! PENNIES!!! so you are looking at a $14.90 profit.
    I'm sorry but after these two statements I really can't take you seriously.

1. Of course it doesn't cost $500 to make the phone. That's the price it's being sold for. Why would anyone sell a product for their own cost to produce?

2. Do you truly believe the cost to produce a cd (music I presume) is only pennies? Where did the money for the artist come from? Where did the money for the instruments come from? Where did the money for the recording equipment come from? Where did the money for a building to record in come from? Where did the money to transport it from the factory to a distribution center come from? The money to take it from a distribution center to a retail store? Personel to stock the shelves? Shelves to put the cd on? A building to keep the shelves in?

The main issue I have here is that you think the price of a good should just be the sum of it's parts which is so far from reality it's not even funny.

If you have a problem with your Storm, talk to RIM the manufacturer. Sure Verizon sold it but they really aren't obligated to replace it at all, much less with a different phone.
    06-22-09 02:53 AM
    I'm sorry but after these two statements I really can't take you seriously.

1. Of course it doesn't cost $500 to make the phone. That's the price it's being sold for. Why would anyone sell a product for their own cost to produce?

2. Do you truly believe the cost to produce a cd (music I presume) is only pennies? Where did the money for the artist come from? Where did the money for the instruments come from? Where did the money for the recording equipment come from? Where did the money for a building to record in come from? Where did the money to transport it from the factory to a distribution center come from? The money to take it from a distribution center to a retail store? Personel to stock the shelves? Shelves to put the cd on? A building to keep the shelves in?

The main issue I have here is that you think the price of a good should just be the sum of it's parts which is so far from reality it's not even funny.

If you have a problem with your Storm, talk to RIM the manufacturer. Sure Verizon sold it but they really aren't obligated to replace it at all, much less with a different phone.

however the total cost of production on the phone far exceeds the selling price of the phone..

it takes a while before they become even on the investment..
    06-22-09 03:37 AM
    RIM makes most of their money off of the data plan, so they sell phones under cost.
    06-22-09 03:43 AM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD