I've currently got a Treo 650 which is garbage, and am thinking of going with a Curve at the end of the month when I'm up for a new phone.
    If I go with the $130 unlimited data plan, is it possible to hook my laptop up to the phone and use the broadband access on that? So anywhere I had my phone and laptop I could have "free" internet access?
    05-08-08 09:50 AM
    You would still have to add Broadband Access Connect to your plan in order to tether it...I pay $15 extra a month for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-08 09:58 AM
    You would still have to add Broadband Access Connect to your plan in order to tether it...I pay $15 extra a month for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    How is the speed using the tether? I am thinking about adding this feature.

thanks
    05-08-08 05:25 PM
    wwoowwwowee! it could potentially cost me $150 a month then!!??
    05-08-08 05:43 PM
    How is the speed using the tether? I am thinking about adding this feature.

thanks
    i'm tethering off an 8330 verizon and i'm getting 800-900 kbps download. and over 100kbps upload. 130 dollars for unlimited data plan?... are you sure that is correct??? blackberry data plan is 44.99 i believe and they say it is unlimited but it is actually capped off at 5 GB.... they put the cap because people weren't using it for their verizons intended purposes.
    05-08-08 05:59 PM
    The "unlimited" plans on BB only cover the data accessed from the device. IE Email, using the built in browser.

For tethering, as mentioned above you need the additional feature. That then gets you 5gig of data per month. (Remember thats upload and download combined)
    05-08-08 06:28 PM
    i'm tethering off an 8330 verizon and i'm getting 800-900 kbps download. and over 100kbps upload. 130 dollars for unlimited data plan?... are you sure that is correct??? blackberry data plan is 44.99 i believe and they say it is unlimited but it is actually capped off at 5 GB.... they put the cap because people weren't using it for their verizons intended purposes.
    I believe the unlimited plan he is talking about is voice and data.
    05-08-08 06:29 PM
    Correct, unlimited voice and data, plus this $15 tether option. And it sounds like the tethering option would not get me very much. 5gig ain't a lot of bandwidth when you're sending emails.
    I thought I could use it as an alternative to paying for DSL
    05-08-08 09:16 PM
    Do the math. I don't think it's possible to send enough emails in a month to use anywhere near 5 Gb. Even if they have fairly large attachments.
    05-08-08 09:31 PM
    I tether with bluetooth because I have a Mac so it is really slow.
    It is really hard to use 5gb a month. I am always tethering and doing some intensive surfing when I am at work because I have nothing else to do and last month I used about 1.0gb. Thats with sites with a lot of high quality pictures and also downloading lots of large files for school. You won't be that satisfied with it if you are using it in place of DSL or cable, my cable internet is a lot faster than using my BB...I just did a speed test on mine and it came back 252kbps download and 32kbps upload. My road runner is 5060kbps download and 355kbps upload.
    05-08-08 09:46 PM
    While I agree that 5Gig is a reasonable amount of data I do want to throw this out.

I have seen people pull up to 25+ Gigs in a single month of service as well as a person hitting the 5 Gig amount in 2 days.

So while it shouldn't be a problem for most users be aware depending on what you are doing you can get to 5 Gigs with out trying very hard.

Most of the big ones I have seen are either streaming video or doing BitTorrent sharing, so they are running up the data on the upload and download side. (which is why I mentioned it earlier)

Also, Sultan, make sure the plan you are getting includes Text messaging if you plan to do that. Text messaging is not part of the Unlimited Data for the BB. The upside is BB Messenger does use the data so if you are using that you should be ok.
    05-08-08 10:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD