02-26-09 03:45 AM
26 12
tools
    I just need to vent and what a better place to do it than the Verizon forum!

Foreward: I take full responsibility for not examining the fine print of anything my wife signed.

so, I just happened to check My Account and took a good look through my account details and noticed a charge on my wife's BlackBerry account that I didn't expect. Mobile Broadband Connect 5GB - $29.99 per month! Evidently, when my wife signed up for her Curve, there was a "special deal" running where she would get 1 month free tethering service. Yea, great...but we have no need for a tethering service and have NEVER used it. So, I called Verizon and had it promptly removed from the account. At that time, the CSR told me that this was a special promotion that I would have to CALL Verizon to cancel the service. I think this is a TOTAL and COMPLETE joke and a scam by Verizon and should, in all honesty, be outlawed as a business practice, in general.

I can guarantee the sales rep failed to tell my wife about this and probably "snuck" it in some fast talk, non-descriptive speech of a sales pitch - none of which my wife probably heard. She knew what she wanted but didn't know enough about it - and, I wasn't there. The sales person screwed up the whole sale - from the phone, to the plan, to the line discount that I am provided with my business.

The whole concept of a special promotion which provides a feature that must be cancelled at a later time is a scam...and Verizon should be forced to repay for their poor business practices. But, according to the representative I spoke with, they are unable to distinguish BB data vs. Tethered data - I understand...it's all data traffic.

I wish...some day, that Verizon would stop with business practices and marketing ploys that look to profit on lack of a response. The 1 month free promotions are a perfect example of this.

OK - yes, I do take responsibility for not dissecting each individual piece of information ever provided to me by Verizon. However, Verizon is not free of blame - its practices like these that make them look like the devil himself.

Sorry for the rant...
    02-24-09 10:50 AM
    I agree with you ksat. With all wireless carriers that are doing this as of late, us consumers, are just going to have to do a little more reading before we sign on the dotted line.......... Even the cable companies are getting in on these "add a promotion now cancel before the end of the month or we charge you" deals.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 02-24-09 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
    02-24-09 10:59 AM
    actually they can distinguish the difference I was told, as tethered data shows as a #777 call on the call log. Might have to get to someone in the NRB who can look deeper into the calls than just your average tech
    02-24-09 11:36 AM
    1. It's a free promotion that your wife could have turned down.
    2. There is no "fine print", it's printed in normal size on your receipt.
    3. Maybe your wife should have payed attention.
    4. Don't rip the rep for doing his job. Sales reps are allowed to make money too, just like everyone else.
    02-24-09 11:42 AM
    I believe the frustration is that the service isn't auto-canceled, or that a rep doesn't call and ask, but that you have to call them and remove the feature. I understand that both of these options cost money, and they don't get extra from inattentive customers, but it isn't what I would consider totally honest.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 11:57 AM
    I believe the frustration is that the service isn't auto-canceled, or that a rep doesn't call and ask,
    Some of us do. I always give the customer my business card and tell them that my email address is on it, please contact me if you do not want the feature after the trial period.

As for auto cancelling..........we are there to sell our services. Having a feature auto cancel is kind of defeating that purpose.
    02-24-09 12:09 PM
    1. It's a free promotion that your wife could have turned down.
    2. There is no "fine print", it's printed in normal size on your receipt.
    3. Maybe your wife should have payed attention.
    4. Don't rip the rep for doing his job. Sales reps are allowed to make money too, just like everyone else.
    You make some blunt assumptions there. Maybe VZW sales reps need to communicate all of the information about the services that a customer is being provided. The representative have a tendency of overloading customers with things they don't need. The sales representative is an advocate to ensure the customer receives what they NEED - not to oversell them with things they don't need! With a service like tethering, I would think one of the first questions would be - "would you ever use your laptop and BlackBerry to connect when not at home?" My wife knows this answer. We don't own a laptop, we have broadband at home - therefore, no need to tether.

Some of us do. I always give the customer my business card and tell them that my email address is on it, please contact me if you do not want the feature after the trial period.

As for auto cancelling..........we are there to sell our services. Having a feature auto cancel is kind of defeating that purpose.
    This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I have no problem a company making some money - that's why you do business. But, it's the method of making that money that makes it wrong. If the VZW representative would say: "with your service, you will receive a 1-month trial of Verizon's Broadband Connect service for free - but, keep in mind, after that month, you will get charged for it unless you call and cancel" - I have no problem with it. But, when they say something like "you'll get 1 month of Verizon's Broadband Connect service with your plan" doesn't quite give me all the information that I need. It's the delivery of information that is the problem....the lack of information does not constitute a free paycheck for Verizon! That's called a SCAM! You can sell services without the need to forcing a service onto customers that don't need it and don't want it!
    02-24-09 12:55 PM
    My mom had vz navigator free for a month and the salesman was nice enough to set a reminder in her phone to go off so she could cancel it. I think that is a helpful sales person. When you buy a house or a car or sign a lease you always read the "fineprint" so why wouldn't you for a cell contract. That's your bad not vzw's

02-24-09 12:57 PM
    So the cable company should just shut off yor service after any promo ends? That makes no sense either.

This is probably the 9523652th time a customer was too busy playing with their new phone to pay attention to what the sales rep told them. Luckily its all printed on the reciept you sign, on yor bill and in a confirmation letter that is mailed to you.

02-24-09 12:58 PM
    Welcome to the world of every subscription service promotion ever offered for the past decade. When Comcast, DirecTV, Dish Network, or FiOS offers you free premium channels for three months it's the same. It's a standard business practice these days. They give you something for free and it's up to you to call to cancel it after the promotion period. At least now you know. Take it as a lesson (albeit probably an expensive one) learned because there isn't anything you can do about it. VZW is on par with every other company when it comes to this practice.

02-24-09 01:02 PM
    Welcome to the world of every subscription service promotion ever offered for the past decade. When Comcast, DirecTV, Dish Network, or FiOS offers you free premium channels for three months it's the same. It's a standard business practice these days. They give you something for free and it's up to you to call to cancel it after the promotion period. At least now you know. Take it as a lesson (albeit probably an expensive one) learned because there isn't anything you can do about it. VZW is on par with every other company when it comes to this practice.
    Yea - I agree, but, those services I'm aware of, verbally agreed to, and are something I ask for anyway. In this specific case, my wife didn't want this, didn't need this, and was never asked or told anything about this. She had no idea what "Mobile Broadband Connect 5GB" even was until I explained it to her. Now, I should have been there, I should have helped her, I should have done more, sooner. So, like I said, I do take some responsibility....but, I trust Verizon to communicate what I am getting with my service. To simply gloss over promotional items like this reprehensible. Especially for a recurring charged service like this.
    02-24-09 01:14 PM
    You make some blunt assumptions there. Maybe VZW sales reps need to communicate all of the information about the services that a customer is being provided. The representative have a tendency of overloading customers with things they don't need. The sales representative is an advocate to ensure the customer receives what they NEED - not to oversell them with things they don't need! With a service like tethering, I would think one of the first questions would be - "would you ever use your laptop and BlackBerry to connect when not at home?" My wife knows this answer. We don't own a laptop, we have broadband at home - therefore, no need to tether.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. I have no problem a company making some money - that's why you do business. But, it's the method of making that money that makes it wrong. If the VZW representative would say: "with your service, you will receive a 1-month trial of Verizon's Broadband Connect service for free - but, keep in mind, after that month, you will get charged for it unless you call and cancel" - I have no problem with it. But, when they say something like "you'll get 1 month of Verizon's Broadband Connect service with your plan" doesn't quite give me all the information that I need. It's the delivery of information that is the problem....the lack of information does not constitute a free paycheck for Verizon! That's called a SCAM! You can sell services without the need to forcing a service onto customers that don't need it and don't want it!
    What did I assume? I pointed out 4 viable and valid things.

I'm a VZW rep and I know exactly how we are trained to present these things. Trying to slide in something like tethering would most likely get a rep fired. I can't speak for all reps, but we're instructed to present it like you detailed in the second part of your post. "(Insert product) is free for the first month but you have to cancel it yourself. Otherwise it's $x.xx per month" Perhaps her rep didn't do it that way, but don't put out a blanket statement that rips all of us. Not to mention that we can't really force services onto people. If they don't think they need it or want it, then they're not going to approve it being added.

Just because you had an isolated incident with 1 rep doesn't mean that is how Verizon operates.
    02-24-09 01:34 PM
    i get kinda lazy to cancel these things so i tend not to sign up for them to begin with. except for vz navigator a few years back. but i couldn't help that lol.
    02-24-09 02:36 PM
    You know what? This is a standard process for promos on subscriptions. I was recently offered some services through both Cox Communications & Qwest Communications with a free promo programs. I've also seen ads for DirecTV, magazines & even herbal supplements that offer you ONE MONTH FREE or THREE FREE ISSUES. I see these with online gaming and even Consumer Reports online access. Amazon used to offer a similar promo for trying their Prime service. Even AT&T sent me these offers to try TeleNav when we had line of service with them.

In the fine print, each one of these ads tells you that in order to take advantage of these offers, a payment method is required AND that you MUST cancel to avoid additional charges, that the service is not self-cancelling.

In other words, I get to try it for free & if I don't like it, I call, let them know I don't like it & they stop the service. The alternative would be to automatically cancel the service if you didn't notify them, then deal with irate customers screaming WHY DID YOU DEACTIVATE IT? If not irate, people would have to call in again, just to reactivate it.

It is NOT an issue of VZW trying to defraud anyone. It is a standard business practice that has been in effect for decades. For years, I've been offered a month free newspaper subscription - if I don't call them, the subscription will continue until I die. Some offers require cancellation in writing. VZW allows you to cancel by phone. Have fun cancelling Amazon Prime by telephone.

Can you call Sprint or T-Mobile and ask for three months of service without going prepaid? How about your CATV service or local telco? You can't do it for a specific service, either. They will all tell you they will add it to your account & you will need to call back when you're ready to cancel.

Yes, there is a lot of information in a cellphone contract, but it is all printed on the contract or agreement signed by you. Buy a house, a car or even a gym membership and they give you the basics, then wait for any questions you may have regarding the specifics of the agreement.

I don't mean to sound impolite, but frankly, if you didn't read the agreement, it's your fault you didn't note the provisions in it. Your wife, not VZW, holds all culpability here.

It is incredible that VZW does the same things that other businesses and competitors do and may have done for years & somebody comes out and claims VZW is being dishonest.

02-24-09 03:27 PM
    Not to bash women because many women are more tech savvy than many men! In the case with my wife and I she let's me deal with the "electronic" type purchases. In other words if we need a new computer or cell phone she's not going to just go out and buy it. She'll be the first one to admit that she has no idea how to compare and she could really care less.

When I am going through a new cell phone contract I pay very close attention. It's very similar to buying a car. They are going to try to include a bunch of extra crap that you don't need.

I have been offered this free month of internet many times by Verizon. It's up to you to cancel before the next month or it will automatically be included in your bill.
    02-24-09 03:38 PM
    If you call Verizon and tell them you didn't use it they will most likely work with you. Just don't go in demanding, I work with customers all day and if they come in with a more, "Is there anything you can do to help me?" attitude versus a "You're going to credit this attitude" they usually get more out of me. They can tell if you used tether or not, so can you. On your bill it will say: "BBA Connect 5gb" | 5,120 | 0 | or something if you didn't use w/ 5120 being your cap and 0 being your usage.

If it's still not billed, then yes, they can't see it yet.
    02-24-09 05:08 PM
    My rep called me Saturday to remind me about my free month of VZNav. She rocks!

Jim
    02-24-09 07:24 PM
    I do understand--they sometimes try to slip one in on you while they're smiling and nodding and typing. Go with your wife with your guard up next time.

02-24-09 11:06 PM
    I think this was isolated to one rep. The practice is used with all companies so as far as auto-canceling, I think its generally known that u have to call in. But as for sneaking it on there, the rep probably knew ur wife was not savy and got over on her. He may have followed the rules and told her everything he needed to so he dodesnt get in trouble. He might of just done it in a way where he ended up wrong anyway....ethically! Sorry it happened to u. Go with ur wife next time definitely lol
    02-24-09 11:37 PM
    Same thing happend to me last year. When I purchased my BB there was no mention of the Broadband. I became ill and had a few surgeries, so my husband took over paying bills. He asked me why we were paying $60 just so I could have a BB...he wasn't too happy. After looking over the bill I called VZW. I had to talk to about 4 different people and was finally told they would credit me all the 7 months. The next day a higher up called and said he could only credit 3 of those months. I wasn't too happy, but it was better than nothing I guess.

02-25-09 06:18 PM
    Since tethering tends to be the sneakiest of the "add-ons," i wonder if this happens because maybe.... its hard to sell the tethering option ???? Maybe its.... TOO EXPENSIVE???? Not MARKETABLE TO THE MASSES???? hmmmmmm!

the rep might of been sneaky and yet still did what he needed to do to keep his job safe, but look at the pressure! THat pressure doesn't just create itself! Should we go into Verizon's business practices again????
    02-25-09 08:25 PM
    bottom line is anything done in person is not a verbal agreement, it is a signed agreement. technically they can say nothing to you, if you sign the paper, you agree to what is on it. NOW if this happened online or over the phone, it's a different story. moral of the story is you are in control of the service. take initiative, and don't let other people have access to the account unless you are willing to take responsibility for what they do.
    02-25-09 08:38 PM
    Wow. I thought it was common knowledge that if you sign up for something on a trial type of bases that you would need to call in to cancel after the promotion.
    02-25-09 08:55 PM
    NOW if this happened online or over the phone, it's a different story.
    Yes, EXCEPT if done the way VZW and most other carriers do it.

You call on the phone. They give you the basics, then send you an unactivated device. In the package is your printed agreement, along with a Weblink to that same agreememt. To activate, you call from your new phone, verify your personal account information and electronically agree to all the terms & conditions of the contract as included with your phone & at that Weblink.

It is as good as your signature on a piece of paper.

There are probably small variations in how other carriers do it, but I believe all are similar.

02-25-09 09:07 PM
    Wow. I thought it was common knowledge that if you sign up for something on a trial type of bases that you would need to call in to cancel after the promotion.
    It is. The OP and his wife must be living under a rock or something (no offense). It's been illustrated in this thread many times how this effects not only cel phones but other industries as well.
    02-26-09 03:22 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD