07-22-13 09:20 AM
43 12
tools
    Not a US carrier issue, is a VZW issue, just to clarify.
    Why did it take so long for AT&T to release?
    07-16-13 01:30 PM
    Why did it take so long for AT&T to release?
    I would honestly guess Q10 testing. Testing an update versus finalizing and approving hardware for release... 10.1 on ATT dropped not too long after the Q launched. Priorities, software update doesn't give you new/renewed constracts, new devices do. (and to be fair ATT pushed 10.1 less than two months after 10.1 was announced and within ~2 weeks of launching the Q).

As I have said all over the forums, VZW is known for lagging on updates and in some cases all out not improving them. They didn't release an update and made Palm do a 0.0.0.1 update to the OS before they would release. The same update without the 0.0.0.1 change was released on Sprint, ATT, and most carriers throughout the world (there was one Mexican carrier that took forever to drop the update). This is how VZW operates when they have the control... higher profit margins by not pushing updates, updates can increase customer service need, leaving people with what they got costs them little to nothing.
    07-16-13 02:33 PM
    Not a US carrier issue, is a VZW issue, just to clarify.

I don't know about that. AT&T didn't release the latest 10.1 (with the reboot fixes) on the Z10 for quite a while either. Take a look at the similiar threads complaining about the AT&T delay.

From a practical viewpoint, the AT&T and VZW updates will probably have been delayed by about the same amount, I'd guess VZW will release theirs within the next week, which would be within 7-10 days of the AT&T release or thereabouts.
    07-16-13 03:43 PM
    You run a restaurant. You sell pretty good baked fish. One day the fish were delivered but because they were not of the quality you expected and your customers demanded they were rejected .
    Instead of selling the "defective" fish you do not. Instead you go without the fish.

Your customers blame you.

Same with the strange relationship BlackBerry has with it's carriers.
    Neither Verizon nor BlackBerry want to toss the other under the bus.

The fish stunk, Verizon sent it back. Who's fault is that?

(Stinky fish=10.1 update)

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    H_O_Boomaye likes this.
    07-16-13 07:59 PM
    I have had the 10.1 update for 2 months and it is night and day better than any 10.0.9 build. Why didn't they release 10.0.10 build either. This is clearly a vz issue as the rest of the world is not having problems rolling out the updates.
    07-16-13 08:10 PM
    You run a restaurant. You sell pretty good baked fish. One day the fish were delivered but because they were not of the quality you expected and your customers demanded they were rejected .
    Instead of selling the "defective" fish you do not. Instead you go without the fish.

Your customers blame you.

Same with the strange relationship BlackBerry has with it's carriers.
    Neither Verizon nor BlackBerry want to toss the other under the bus.

The fish stunk, Verizon sent it back. Who's fault is that?

(Stinky fish=10.1 update)

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    Though not inaccurate, your still a little too general about the issue. Both ATT and Verizon had/have specific issues that others global carriers just don't have. That points more in there favor then in BB. I would have gone with a sushi grade fish vs a standard fish. One raw, other needs to be cooked.

Anyway, I still believe its the radio stack and crappy CDMA that Verizon uses. I love my service coverage, but this lack of priority with updates is some weak sauce.

I'd personally play with more leak builds and radio stacks, but I can't afford to be out of contact. Leaks I installed worked well except for calls. My call quality on the Stock build for Verizon never suffers, but I also have no issue with reboots either.
    07-17-13 08:52 AM
    I would honestly guess Q10 testing. Testing an update versus finalizing and approving hardware for release... 10.1 on ATT dropped not too long after the Q launched. Priorities, software update doesn't give you new/renewed constracts, new devices do. (and to be fair ATT pushed 10.1 less than two months after 10.1 was announced and within ~2 weeks of launching the Q).

As I have said all over the forums, VZW is known for lagging on updates and in some cases all out not improving them. They didn't release an update and made Palm do a 0.0.0.1 update to the OS before they would release. The same update without the 0.0.0.1 change was released on Sprint, ATT, and most carriers throughout the world (there was one Mexican carrier that took forever to drop the update). This is how VZW operates when they have the control... higher profit margins by not pushing updates, updates can increase customer service need, leaving people with what they got costs them little to nothing.
    Just to point out what BS it is for US carriers to hold back OS updates. I got a new Z10 the day that they were released in Canada. I left the next day to go to the US for a week. I was able to connect to AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon networks and continue to use my Z10 with no problems and had work calls everyday.
    07-17-13 08:53 AM
    Though not inaccurate, your still a little too general about the issue. Both ATT and Verizon had/have specific issues that others global carriers just don't have. That points more in there favor then in BB. I would have gone with a sushi grade fish vs a standard fish. One raw, other needs to be cooked.

Anyway, I still believe its the radio stack and crappy CDMA that Verizon uses. I love my service coverage, but this lack of priority with updates is some weak sauce.

I'd personally play with more leak builds and radio stacks, but I can't afford to be out of contact. Leaks I installed worked well except for calls. My call quality on the Stock build for Verizon never suffers, but I also have no issue with reboots either.
    As in my other post. US carrier updates are BS, otherwise anyone from another country using a unapproved BB10 OS when in the US would have problems. Using my Z10 in the US has never been a problem since day one.
    07-17-13 08:55 AM
    Just to point out what BS it is for US carriers to hold back OS updates. I got a new Z10 the day that they were released in Canada. I left the next day to go to the US for a week. I was able to connect to AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon networks and continue to use my Z10 with no problems and had work calls everyday.
    You were able to connect to VZW??? Please explain since VZW requires the ESN to be in the database for a phone to even be used on their network. AT&T and T-Mo sure, but VZW and/or Sprint I have to question.
    undone likes this.
    07-17-13 11:42 AM
    I got a $40 credit and somebody else got $50. Call now. Money talks.

Posted via CB10
    I'm more interested in dropping VZW and getting a better carrier like TMO which has better coverage in Miami, FL (at least where I live) than VZW.
    07-17-13 12:53 PM
    You were able to connect to VZW??? Please explain since VZW requires the ESN to be in the database for a phone to even be used on their network. AT&T and T-Mo sure, but VZW and/or Sprint I have to question.

Verizon devices with LTE now have SIM cards, but AFAIK that affects only the LTE side. (All current Verizon devices default to CDMA for voice calls) And you can't connect to Verizon LTE with anyone else's device - the only other carriers in the entire world that use a similiar frequency band for FD-LTE are a couple of tiny carriers in the Caribbean.

Historically it was common for US and Canadian carriers to have roaming agreements, and there used to be one or two Canadian carriers that also used CDMA like Verizon (Bell was one, I believe), but IIRC all the Canadian carriers in recent years have switched to GSM/3GPP, and none of the BlackBerry 10 devices sold in Canada are CDMA-capable.
    undone and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
    07-17-13 11:06 PM
    Verizon devices with LTE now have SIM cards, but AFAIK that affects only the LTE side. (All current Verizon devices default to CDMA for voice calls) And you can't connect to Verizon LTE with anyone else's device - the only other carriers in the entire world that use a similiar frequency band for FD-LTE are a couple of tiny carriers in the Caribbean.

Historically it was common for US and Canadian carriers to have roaming agreements, and there used to be one or two Canadian carriers that also used CDMA like Verizon (Bell was one, I believe), but IIRC all the Canadian carriers in recent years have switched to GSM/3GPP, and none of the BlackBerry 10 devices sold in Canada are CDMA-capable.
    Exactly as I understand it, thank you for supporting my question
    07-18-13 11:25 AM
    I am with Bell and when people in our company travel to the US, we get a US package from Bell. Here are a list of carriers we can connect to. My Z10 supports GSM.

International roaming with Bell Mobility | Bell Canada

Select See coverage details for your destination and choose the US.
    Last edited by Bluenoser63; 07-18-13 at 03:23 PM.
    07-18-13 02:49 PM
    I am with Bell and when people in our company travel to the US, we get a US package from Bell. Here are a list of carriers we can cannot to. My Z10 supports GSM.

International roaming with Bell Mobility | Bell Canada

Select See coverage details for your destination and choose the US.
    Interesting, I wonder if VZW is leasing some GSM bandwidth for talk then. Thanks for sharing.
    07-18-13 03:13 PM
    Interesting, I wonder if VZW is leasing some GSM bandwidth for talk then. Thanks for sharing.

That would be my assumption, they have some sort of roaming/bandwidth-sharing agreement, so they can continue to offer "service" to people on Canadian carriers that traditionally could roam on VZW, but what those people probably don't realize is in that these days since their network is actually incompatible with that Canadian phone, VZW is just operating as a middle-man of sorts, I'd guess.

Given how few large CDMA networks are still in service, I'd imagine VZW is doing more and more of that sort of thing, in order to keep their hand in the till, so to speak.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    07-18-13 07:06 PM
    I have been on VZW for 10 yrs +. I am not leaving them because no matter where I go I get service. Any of the lower 48 and HA and PR. I have owned BB for 7 of those years. I just don't wait for VZW to release software I go to good stable BB leaks. (Read the forums!!! and find a good stable leak and DL it) It is not that much different from an official version and load. I have NEVER had a problem with a leak. I do read a lot about it before I DL and it may not be the latest but it's always the most stable. I have NEVER had a problem with VZW with a leak on my phone and solved one or 2 problems with them on the phone and always tell them what OS version I have They are usually interested how it works. If I ever got any crap from VZW over DL a leak oh boy the fun would be on. I would read them the riot act and invoke my 10 yr history of perfect payments. Just relax and realize that if your on VZW you are going to DL a leak. It's fun and rewarding to do it and you get all the new fixes and features. VZW is just the network I use not my Daddy who tells me when I can have what when they want me to have it. YOU are the customer stand up and go around VZW and ENJOY! Besides we are always here to give you advice and support. BTW Crackberry support and advice is usually more accurate and a heck of a lot more friendly.
    Last edited by travaz; 07-19-13 at 05:01 PM.
    bob_tn and waterfrontmgmt like this.
    07-18-13 09:49 PM
    I have been on VZW for 10 yrs +. I am not leaving them because no matter where I go I get service. Any of the lower 48 and HA and PR. I have owned BB for 7 of those years. I just don't wait for VZW to release software I go to good stable BB leaks. (Read the forums!!! and find a good stable leak and DL it) It is not that much different from an official version and load. I have NEVER had a problem with a leak. I do read a lot about it before I DL and it may not be the latest but it's always the most stable. I have NEVER had a problem with VZW with a leak on my phone and solved one or 2 problems with them on the phone and always tell them what OS version I have They are usually interested how it works. If I ever got any crap from VZW over DL a leak oh boy the fun would be on. I would read them the riot act and invoke my 10 yr history of perfect payments. Just relax and realize that if your on VZW you are going to DL a leak. It's fun and rewarding to do it and you get all the new fixes and features. VZW is just the network I use not my Daddy who tells me when I can have what when they want me to have it. YOU are the customer stand up and go around VZW and ENJOY! Besides we are always here to give you advice and support. BTW Crackberry support and advice is usually more accurate and a heck of a lot more friendly.
    What build are you running now?
    07-22-13 08:47 AM
    What build are you running now?

I would also like to know please.
    And whether you have found any calendar, email or other issues with your leak version.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 09:20 AM
43 12