12-06-10 09:16 AM
46 12
tools
    To evb624: I'm aware that RIM is lacking, I said that in my post, but if I continue to wait until the middle of next year and nothing comes out of Verizon that I wish to use my upgrade on then I will leave for a Torch or 9780.
    So you're complaining about RIM's devices not being up-to-date, but by the middle of next year you'd leave VZW for a device that will already be a year old with specs that were already out of date when it was released?
    11-30-10 06:08 AM
    I am hoping that by the middle of next year there will be some type of refresh with a hardware upgrade for AT&T since it appears that they have been getting all the attention from RIM as of late. Things can change and of course that is truly what I am hoping for. Overall I want RIM to do better and truly compete with all their phones on all carriers, but if they don't I will explore getting simply the best of the best in BlackBerry land. Crazy?! probably but I think your signature explains it all!
    11-30-10 08:13 AM
    Take this with a grain of salt, obviously, but my step-father (who still owns a Storm 1) went into a Verizon Store just today inquiring about a replacement phone. He was told by whomever he spoke with that "There will be a Storm 3 with 4G coming out in February".

Like I said, grain of salt...I'm not holding my breath...
    I saw a Verizon commercial with the guy running to his mailbox and then opening a box with lightning shooting out. My heart skipped a beat thinking it was the Storm 3 but it was only the LTE commercial.
    11-30-10 03:05 PM
    I am hoping that by the middle of next year there will be some type of refresh with a hardware upgrade for AT&T since it appears that they have been getting all the attention from RIM as of late. Things can change and of course that is truly what I am hoping for. Overall I want RIM to do better and truly compete with all their phones on all carriers, but if they don't I will explore getting simply the best of the best in BlackBerry land. Crazy?! probably but I think your signature explains it all!
    I doubt RIM will refresh anything on GSM networks this coming year, they've got a fairly new batch of devices out already, although as pointed out, by next year the device specs will be 2+ years behind the competition.

I suspect RIM won't refresh current devices on CDMA, or at least Verizon, until LTE phones launch, and with RIM's track record of not pushing the limits of technology, I would be surprised if they manage to get something to market that's competitive...
    11-30-10 04:41 PM
    I doubt RIM will refresh anything on GSM networks this coming year, they've got a fairly new batch of devices out already, although as pointed out, by next year the device specs will be 2+ years behind the competition.

I suspect RIM won't refresh current devices on CDMA, or at least Verizon, until LTE phones launch, and with RIM's track record of not pushing the limits of technology, I would be surprised if they manage to get something to market that's competitive...
    After hearing the news about touch QNX devices the second half of 2011 RIM has officially got me waiting once again. But everyone is saying that with the switch to QNX RIM must upgrade the hardware on their phones. So for now I will see what Verizon will say tomorrow and I will continue to see what RIM and Verizon do together.....
    11-30-10 06:04 PM
    I don't want anything other than a BlackBerry. I'm to a point where I'm thinking about changing carriers just to get a BlackBerry with some more up to date technology
    Which carrier has an up to date BB? They are already behind in hardware and software. Their new phones are always just updates of the older model with no improvements (the 8330 has a flash the 9330 doesn't...that's two steps back.) Good luck finding an "up to date" BB.
    11-30-10 09:30 PM
    I don't think RIM can afford to wait until the second half of 2011 to release a top of the line phone. The iphone 5 will likely rule the summer so RIM really needs to get something out by March/April. The Motorola Olympus is coming out too, which will be an absolute beast! RIM could be barely treading water by July.
    12-01-10 12:04 AM
    Guess what, if you don't care for the contents of the thread or you have nothing nice to say and nothing to add to the thread the back button is located @ the top left of your screen, feel free to use it instead of attacking someone who had a question.
    Oh cool! A tutorial Excellent point .... Love it!
    12-01-10 06:02 AM
    LoL...funny. Lighten up people it was just a joke. We are all frustrated with VZW's lack of new devices no need to get angry, doesn't solve anything. But for really RIM/ VZW needs to come out with something NEW or they are going to start loosing Berry users to droids
    It may have been a joke to some, but to others it was an necessary, didn't add anything good or tactful to the thread and to me it was a blatant insult which was uncalled for.

I realize that there are those of us who follow the threads here, but I think we all need to remember that there are new people joining all the time and to have them read cracks like some of the people make here that are just totally uncalled for is not a good thing. It sure doesn't make newbies or anyone else for that matter feel welcome. I think it's important to remember that there was a day those making nasty comments were newbies, too. Think of how you'd have felt had someone responded to your comments in a like way.

I've been pretty much shocked by the cr-rudeness of some of the comments I've seen here. I don't normally come back at people who feel the need to insult but after reading so many of these kinds of posts, right or wrong - I just felt something needed to be said.

Sure there's a ton of threads about "what's coming from X provider" or X manufacturer ... Nozzles was right ... if you are sick of posts like this, don't like them or whatever, silence is golden. Move on to a post you can add something helpful or useful to. If you get the urge to say something that might be nasty ... write the post but don't submit. At least you can get it off your chest that way without potentially hurting someone's feelings. There's nothing wrong w/venting far as I'm concerned, I'm totally frustrated with VZW's and/or RIM'S slowness to give us what we want and I agree, if an Android comes out that's what I want ... I'm gone from BB ... and so I've let loose here in a few places but I try to not direct it at anyone.

If anyone took offense to my comments you have my sincere apologies - with the exception of the one who had it coming. In your case I say "You reap what you sow."
    12-01-10 06:20 AM
    Verizon has gone on record multiple times saying that 4G dongles would be first and that 4G smartphones wouldn't be available until sometime 2011 (mid-year). However, they also updated that and said to expect the first 4G smartphone February 2011.

So they will have 4G devices, just not smartphones.
    I'm not in the first area for the initial rollout and truthfully, I'm not all hyped up about it. When it gets here it gets here. Does anyone know if you happen to buy a 4G phone will it work on a 3G network?
    12-01-10 06:24 AM
    there is so much more that I didn't even think about until I got my Droid. Im just saying, Blackberry isn't the end all be all like some people make them out to be.
    That's nice to hear from someone who loves her Storm but it's time for a phone change. I've only had the opportunity to look at and handle a co-worker's android and I wasn't impressed. It was to big, to heavy and to ugly for my taste but it's also an older droid model. I am seriously considering a droid IF they ever come up w/one that I like. So far that ain't happenin'. But at least I know the inner workings are worth a good look-see if they make one eventually that I want. I've always thought of a droid as more of an "entertainment center" which I really don't need.Thanks!
    12-01-10 06:29 AM
    So for now I will see what Verizon will say tomorrow and I will continue to see what RIM and Verizon do together.....
    Sigh ... unfortunately this seems to be one of those times that tomorrow never comes ...
    12-01-10 06:33 AM
    Hey kids...let's look at some facts rather than some of the unintelligent dribble that has been spewing forth in this thread.

It has been known for the better part of 2 years that the Blackberry platform was long in the tooth and needed a severe makeover for the brand to survive.

This past April, the announcement was made that RIM was acquiring QNX. If you do not understand the significance of this, GOOGLE it and learn something. This is the OS that has the power to make BB what you cretins want it to become. The potential of the QNX OS to elevate RIM to the next level is a reality.

In August, RIMM stock bottomed out around $44 per share. This morning it is priced just under $62 per share. Analysts are targeting RIMM to reach $80 per share, surpassing recent highs in the mid 70's during March! This recent growth is based on the early performance of the QNX based PlayBook and projected sales. Also mentioned is the eventuality that QNX will make it into mobile devices. Only RIM knows for sure, but we may even see an OS7 (please, no sobbing) before QNX shows up in a BlackBerry.

So...where does that leave Big Red. In May their stock was trading below $25 a share. Today it is trading at $32 a share. VZW has an almost immediate target date to roll out LTE. a superior technology to the Sprint WiMax 4G. ATT is furiously playing catch up to VZW and is predicting a mid 2011 roll out for their version of LTE. Sure, ATT has the Torch that some of you insanely covet. Isn't this just another version of the same OLD technology offered by by an inferior (to VZW) carrier? In the next few months, only the uninformed is going to want a CDMA or GSM only smart phone.

Concerning VZW, RIM, and the impatience of some infantile cretins who want to bash companies that are working hard to bring the next generation of service and products to market: BE PATIENT! These products don't just fly from the drawing board into your grubby little hands. ALL indications point to the fact that we are going to see some awesome products from RIM and they will be among the first to run on VZW LTE. Personally, I find this exciting and look forward to having a thoroughly tested and proven product in my hand. In due time, this will happen.

So, to those of you who are living proof that cavemen had sex with T-rex, CHILL OUT. Do some research and LEARN about what is coming and be informed about your next purchase. And if you have any savings, invest at least part of it in VZW and RIMM.
    12-01-10 08:01 AM
    @i_hiker You make some valid points, but the problem for RIM is they are losing ground in the consumer market at a rapid pace. The consumer market is what is driving smartphone sales. I don't think RIM can afford to slow walk this process to getting QNX on phones. In 2011 there needs to be a Storm 3, Torch 2 and Bold 3 all running QNX with competitive hardware specs as well. If not then RIM is not really playing to win, because I can guarantee the iPhone 5 and the Andriod Gingerbread devices will be outstanding.
    12-01-10 09:25 AM
    I'm not in the first area for the initial rollout and truthfully, I'm not all hyped up about it. When it gets here it gets here. Does anyone know if you happen to buy a 4G phone will it work on a 3G network?
    Yes, LTE phones are expected to also work on the current network. However, if Verizon handles it like Sprint, you will be paying an extra monthly premium for your 4g device whether you are in an area with 4g coverage or not...
    12-01-10 09:34 AM
    Hey kids...let's look at some facts rather than some of the unintelligent dribble that has been spewing forth in this thread.

It has been known for the better part of 2 years that the Blackberry platform was long in the tooth and needed a severe makeover for the brand to survive.

This past April, the announcement was made that RIM was acquiring QNX. If you do not understand the significance of this, GOOGLE it and learn something. This is the OS that has the power to make BB what you cretins want it to become. The potential of the QNX OS to elevate RIM to the next level is a reality.

In August, RIMM stock bottomed out around $44 per share. This morning it is priced just under $62 per share. Analysts are targeting RIMM to reach $80 per share, surpassing recent highs in the mid 70's during March! This recent growth is based on the early performance of the QNX based PlayBook and projected sales. Also mentioned is the eventuality that QNX will make it into mobile devices. Only RIM knows for sure, but we may even see an OS7 (please, no sobbing) before QNX shows up in a BlackBerry.

So...where does that leave Big Red. In May their stock was trading below $25 a share. Today it is trading at $32 a share. VZW has an almost immediate target date to roll out LTE. a superior technology to the Sprint WiMax 4G. ATT is furiously playing catch up to VZW and is predicting a mid 2011 roll out for their version of LTE. Sure, ATT has the Torch that some of you insanely covet. Isn't this just another version of the same OLD technology offered by by an inferior (to VZW) carrier? In the next few months, only the uninformed is going to want a CDMA or GSM only smart phone.

Concerning VZW, RIM, and the impatience of some infantile cretins who want to bash companies that are working hard to bring the next generation of service and products to market: BE PATIENT! These products don't just fly from the drawing board into your grubby little hands. ALL indications point to the fact that we are going to see some awesome products from RIM and they will be among the first to run on VZW LTE. Personally, I find this exciting and look forward to having a thoroughly tested and proven product in my hand. In due time, this will happen.

So, to those of you who are living proof that cavemen had sex with T-rex, CHILL OUT. Do some research and LEARN about what is coming and be informed about your next purchase. And if you have any savings, invest at least part of it in VZW and RIMM.
    You can take your "cretin" and stick it someplace unpleasant. I don't see why you would choose to be so insulting to folks.

Fact: QNX has been around a long time.
    Fact: RIM could have bought their technology years ago, like when it really became apparent that being strong in email delivery was simply not going to be sufficient anymore.
    Fact: RIM is going to need to fix more than just their OS to become competitive in the consumer market again.
    Fact: RIM's hardware is at least as far behind the competition as their OS is, and has been consistently.
    Fact: People like defending RIM for some strange reason I don't understand.
    Fact: Wanting an up to date device with a newer OS doesn't make someone a cretin, and two years is an eternity to wait in the electronics game.
    12-01-10 09:45 AM
    I am not out to bash RIM or Verizon. They have their business models and are privy to the best ways to handle their business. I have been a long time BlackBerry user (back to the 7250) and a long time Verizon customer. I like both company's very much. It seems RIM is headed in the right direction and hoepfully QNX will be everything people have been talking about. Verizon is now rolling out their version of 4G and hopefully will be adding a new BlackBerry to the lineup.
    I have had the Storm I on Verizon for quite some time and I'm out of contract. My Storm had been a good phone with none of the problems that seemed to haunt this phone. The last two months the screen has become a problem and makes navigating and typing a real chore. Icons and letters highlight that aren't being pressed. So I am really hoping that a new BlackBerry comes to Verizon soon. I am loyal to the product to a point. I do know that there are problems that come with other types of phones such as those running Android.
    My point is that patience only lasts so long when the phone you have is in need of a replacement. I hope to hold out until a new, improved BB comes out on Verizon. Every time I have to type on my phone and it is not working well, my patience drops a notch.
    I do have a BB Torch for work and really like it. It is the best BlackBerry that I have had, handsdown. I also have an Android phone and an iPhone in the house (my kids) and they are great smartphones as well.
    I hope QNX comes sooner and that a new BB comes to Verizon ASAP!
    12-01-10 03:20 PM
    I am not out to bash RIM or Verizon. They have their business models and are privy to the best ways to handle their business. I have been a long time BlackBerry user (back to the 7250) and a long time Verizon customer. I like both company's very much. It seems RIM is headed in the right direction and hoepfully QNX will be everything people have been talking about. Verizon is now rolling out their version of 4G and hopefully will be adding a new BlackBerry to the lineup.
    I have had the Storm I on Verizon for quite some time and I'm out of contract. My Storm had been a good phone with none of the problems that seemed to haunt this phone. The last two months the screen has become a problem and makes navigating and typing a real chore. Icons and letters highlight that aren't being pressed. So I am really hoping that a new BlackBerry comes to Verizon soon. I am loyal to the product to a point. I do know that there are problems that come with other types of phones such as those running Android.
    My point is that patience only lasts so long when the phone you have is in need of a replacement. I hope to hold out until a new, improved BB comes out on Verizon. Every time I have to type on my phone and it is not working well, my patience drops a notch.
    I do have a BB Torch for work and really like it. It is the best BlackBerry that I have had, handsdown. I also have an Android phone and an iPhone in the house (my kids) and they are great smartphones as well.
    I hope QNX comes sooner and that a new BB comes to Verizon ASAP!
    Since they dropped the S2 refresh (might have been a good phone for you), you are probably gonna have to wait for the Storm3, and my GUESS is mid 2011. I'm gonna say May/June time frame, BUT that's just a semi educated guess.
    blakeberry likes this.
    12-01-10 06:15 PM
    I wouldn't have picked up a storm 2 or storm 2 refresh. They weren't much different than the storm 1. It just didn't seem like the upgrade I wanted.

I don't think I'll wait it out until May or June. I'll stick with Verizon partly because a good coverage in my area and I have five phones on the plan. I'll hold out for awhile, but I'm not opposed to moving away from a Blackberry. I do have the Torch for business and if I decide to give something else a try, I'll still have a blackberry.

I think the picture looks bright for RIM with QNX in their future. The Playbook will have it and I'm sure the next generation of phone will as well. I like the 6.0 OS on the Torch as well as the Touchscreen with the trackpad. I think it will hold up better over time than the surepress screen. I still like the physical keyboard and move back and forth from the keyboard to the touchscreen.

We'll see what happens after the first of the year, maybe they'll throw out a bone and I'll nurse this old 9530 along and keep my swearing under my breath. haha.
    12-01-10 07:39 PM
    Since they dropped the S2 refresh (might have been a good phone for you), you are probably gonna have to wait for the Storm3, and my GUESS is mid 2011. I'm gonna say May/June time frame, BUT that's just a semi educated guess.
    RIM cannot afford to wait that long before releasing the Storm 3. They would lose customers to the Android phones that will be released Q1 and Q2 and the iphone 5 would be just around the corner. That would be suicide.
    12-02-10 04:12 PM
    You can take your "cretin" and stick it someplace unpleasant. I don't see why you would choose to be so insulting to folks.

Fact: QNX has been around a long time.
    Fact: RIM could have bought their technology years ago, like when it really became apparent that being strong in email delivery was simply not going to be sufficient anymore.
    Fact: RIM is going to need to fix more than just their OS to become competitive in the consumer market again.
    Fact: RIM's hardware is at least as far behind the competition as their OS is, and has been consistently.
    Fact: People like defending RIM for some strange reason I don't understand.
    Fact: Wanting an up to date device with a newer OS doesn't make someone a cretin, and two years is an eternity to wait in the electronics game.
    Lets look at your facts for what they really are: only a partial snapshot of reality. Yes, QNX has been around for a while but RIM has only about an 8 month investment in it.

Two years ago, RIM was riding the crest of the Curve 83XX and Pearl releases. The release of the iPhone seemed to catch ALL of the manufacturers flat footed. RIMs attempt to respond with the Storm exposed the weaknesses of that platform and its inability to meet the demands of the next generation of consumer mobile devices. RIMs heritage is deeply rooted in business communications and innovative devices. The demand for these devices by a broader consumer base fueled RIMs growth. Then came the iPhone and the playing field changed.

Despite the inadequacies of the current platform, RIM has still managed to maintain a fair market share, especially among those who use their device primarily for business communications. Yes, they (RIM) have lost ground but it would seem foolish to push out another CDMA device at this time that would have a short shelf life and still not be competitive. As a RIMM shareholder, I feel they are taking prudent steps to bring competitive products to market that will measure up to the competition and fuel growth in the company. Professional analysts seem to feel the same.

RIM has certainly had their share of hardware and OS issues, but I have been perfectly happy with my Bold 9650. It is a dependable, rugged device that has served me well, on and off the beaten path. Also, it is a great world phone and worked flawlessly (SIM card) while I was in England recently. My SIM card is located directly behind the battery compartment door. How about yours? My Bold handles all of my personal and business communications reliably well. I should note that I neither FB not Tweet.

It wasnt that long ago analysts had written Motorola off after the success of the RAZR waned and the company failed to bring another blockbuster product to market. As a Moto Driod owner yourself, you have first hand knowledge of Motorolas current success. Do you think RIM lacks the same competitive edge to bring a worthy product to market with revamped hardware and a new OS? The FACT is: only time will tell. The FACT is: RIM is working on it.

Wanting a newer, more advanced product does not make one a cretin. Pissing and moaning impatiently about the lack of such product from a manufacturer and/or carrier, and not looking at the whole picture, expose ones lack of gray matter. The word cretin gets mod approval (for now) while id10ot does not. I call them as I see them. At least you did the smart thing for yourself and moved to a Droid.

My previous post could have ended up in any number of threads. I picked this one at random as I had some time to kill at the airport and thought I would add some spark to a banal thread. Just my .02.
    12-06-10 09:16 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD