08-11-09 11:46 AM
40 12
tools
    I've only been around here a couple months and any time I read a post by twins I feel like my IQ jumps about 1 point. (and judging by how many I've read, I'm surely a genus myself)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-09 04:33 PM
    I've only been around here a couple months and any time I read a post by twins I feel like my IQ jumps about 1 point. (and judging by how many I've read, I'm surely a genus myself)

What is a genus? JK JK JK

And twins that was definately a great post not to mention a stellar story of your life. Truly inspiring because I am not sure I would be a productive individual after all of that.
    08-07-09 04:38 PM
    What is a genus? JK JK JK

And twins that was definately a great post not to mention a stellar story of your life. Truly inspiring because I am not sure I would be a productive individual after all of that.
    Haha! That's actually pretty funny because I was thinking to myself while I was posting it how many times I see people spell "genius" wrong when calling themselves a genius. Good catch.

I think I'll leave it for humor's sake.

08-07-09 04:48 PM
    -.- 3.1mbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and LTE is faster!?!?!?!?!? these are the speeds vzw offer for home internet and supposedly ATT is gonna have 7.1 which is the highest high speed internet speed avaliable w/o getting fios on comcast or verizon. that means my phone will soon be faster than my home internet. lol i wish they have vzw fios in seattle.
    08-07-09 04:56 PM
    -.- 3.1mbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and LTE is faster!?!?!?!?!? these are the speeds vzw offer for home internet and supposedly ATT is gonna have 7.1 which is the highest high speed internet speed avaliable w/o getting fios on comcast or verizon. that means my phone will soon be faster than my home internet. lol i wish they have vzw fios in seattle.
    LTE will be so fast you will be able to get it for home and replace your home broadband.

08-07-09 05:45 PM

The theoretical maximum speed of the current generation of EV-DO CDMA 3G (Rev.a) is about 2.4Mbps. The Verizon network, in most metro areas, as well as in much of North America, tests out at 800-1.1Mbps
    If 2.4 MB is the max, how come I usually get from 2.3 to 2.6MB on a VZ mifi connected via usb to my mac? Those are speedtest.net numbers. I wonder if I'm getting the bits and bytes confused again

Notice that only HSPDA (currently in use in some AT&T markets) competes with the speed of Rev.0, and cannot compete with Rev.a or the upcoming LTE.
    How can ATT advertise that they have the fastest 3G network and why is ATT network so poor? Is it because of lazy management or is it actually because of the iphone overloading it?
    08-07-09 06:20 PM
    Twin - Great job at explaining the difference.
    08-07-09 10:14 PM
    I live the Philly area and I am doubting Verizon's claim to be the largest 3G network. I have the Storm and Page 39 of the tips and shortcuts booklet lists the coverage indicators. If you are in 3G mode you should be able to send/receive email and talk on the phone simultaneously. I don't know about anyone else but I can't. I called Verizon and couldn't get a straight answer.
    wouldn't you just spare the person you are talking to by calling them back after your email? Good post though, got me thinking.
    08-07-09 10:18 PM
    Show me a CDMA device VZW, SPRINT, Alltel or other CDMA carrier where you can talk and do data at the same time.

Just cause you read it, does not make it true. For if you are, I have bridge to sell you.
    08-07-09 10:50 PM
    There are some CDMA features with some 'dumb' phones that will do some limited data while voice is active, but 3G performance is not needed for these capabilities.
    I know this thread is kinda old but it was a great one and it sparked a question or two.

In the above quote it is mentioned that CDMA will sometimes allow voice and data. Just for curiosity's sake, is this what is happening when you dial *228 on a VZW phone? I noticed that it sounds incredibly choppy as if the call is being interrupted temporarily or if the bandwidth to the phone is being shared by something other than the voice portion of the call.

I think it's sending data simultaneously which is why it is able to unlock the phones programming menu remotely, and send data back to VZW. The ESN can be changed OTA now... how does that info get back to the network if CDMA can't do voice + data? SMS also works but MMS won't. Maybe there is just a certain file size that is able to pass through while a voice call is active?
    08-07-09 11:49 PM
    I know this thread is kinda old but it was a great one and it sparked a question or two.

In the above quote it is mentioned that CDMA will sometimes allow voice and data. Just for curiosity's sake, is this what is happening when you dial *228 on a VZW phone? I noticed that it sounds incredibly choppy as if the call is being interrupted temporarily or if the bandwidth to the phone is being shared by something other than the voice portion of the call.

I think it's sending data simultaneously which is why it is able to unlock the phones programming menu remotely, and send data back to VZW. The ESN can be changed OTA now... how does that info get back to the network if CDMA can't do voice + data? SMS also works but MMS won't. Maybe there is just a certain file size that is able to pass through while a voice call is active?
    First off SMS is done on voice, MMS is done via data. THat should prove what others are saying.
    08-08-09 07:43 AM
    Last I check VZW isn't 3G, they are still analog lmfao. Sorry for this but this maybe the stupidest thread topic ever. VZW is 3G soon to be 4G and more reliable then you know who silly Sprint.

08-08-09 07:53 AM
    Last I check VZW isn't 3G, they are still analog lmfao.
    Oh goodie, let me give them a call and see if I can activate this 1984 bag phone........... And to think, I was gonna throw it out!
    08-11-09 12:46 AM
    First off SMS is done on voice, MMS is done via data. THat should prove what others are saying.
    And second off? You addressed the afterthought portion of my post. How about *228? I wasn't trying to prove anyone wrong, just trying to get some help on the subject cause I'm curious. You didn't say anything about the main part of my post.

edit: I was fully aware prior to your post the SMS travels on a voice channel. I was merely conjecturing as to why. Is there a certain file size that forces it to be done this way? How does *228 gather data from the phone and network while being an active voice phone call? If anyone has something helpful to say, I'd appreciate a response.
    Last edited by crackberryn00b; 08-12-09 at 10:55 AM. Reason: better clarifying my intent.
    08-11-09 11:36 AM
    Yes, this is very true.No and yes. Don't believe everything they tell you.

The yes part first, but actually a partly. It is actually separate channels, a distinction too broad and not needed for this thread.

Now for the no part. It is not a device limitation, but a CDMA technology limitation, but more on that in a bit.......
    Kudos to you! That was the best explanation on the difference between CDMA and GSM I have ever read in a forum. It lacked all of the bias of 'my network is better then yours' which usually accompanies such posts.

To borrow a line from one of my other favorite web sites:

/I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
    08-11-09 11:46 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD