06-13-09 05:19 PM
95 ... 234
tools
    I am sorry up front - it amazes me to see such debate about a device. Either meets a need for a person, or it does not meet a need for a person.

As for specs on the card inside - this is from the VZW website

Radio/Frequency Bands: CDMA/1X/EV–DO Rev.A: 800/1900MHz; UMTS/HSPA: 850/1900/2100MHz; GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

BTW this can used globally as well.

Here is a link to rest of the info about the device NETBOOK
    The product is actually incredibly smart. I have friends that are pharm reps that are constantly on the road to clients offices. Right now their office supplies them with a 15 inch laptop and an aircard which they are always complaining about cause the laptops battery dies fast, it is large and bulky, the card is annoying that they have to unplug it and plug it back in constantly. All they need the laptop for is to check work e-mail at a clients location or place an order in the webbased system. Some of their companies have verizon contracts (blackberrys are through verizon). This is a perfect product for these situations and others like it.

One problem is we all think celluar services care about individual customers. They make a ton of money in the corporate and government market then they do on your 1 or 2 line service, so they might actually come out with a product that is geared towards corporate and government users.
    Last edited by numus; 05-29-09 at 08:06 AM.
    05-29-09 08:02 AM
    Also keep in mind that there are full size laptops that have embedded VZW aircards as well.

Here is support page for this option and a link to the vendor sites for that support this option. I am sure if you check the sites, then you can see the laptops available and other specs for them. Full Size Laptops
    Last edited by lastraid; 05-29-09 at 08:36 AM.
    05-29-09 08:14 AM
    I am sorry up front - it amazes me to see such debate about a device. Either meets a need for a person, or it does not meet a need for a person.

As for specs on the card inside - this is from the VZW website

Radio/Frequency Bands: CDMA/1X/EVDO Rev.A: 800/1900MHz; UMTS/HSPA: 850/1900/2100MHz; GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

BTW this can used globally as well.

Here is a link to rest of the info about the device NETBOOK

I want to add that I have nothing against someone making a logical decision to purchase a netbook. What I am more concerned with is that these people are educated on what it exactly is before throwing there money on it and realizing it was a bad mistake.

If someone does the research and decides it is still for them thats great tey can love it all they want.

However I think sometimes people just get into the buzz of things and end up regretting spending there money on something that they don't really need or didn't realize exactly what its designed for.
    05-29-09 05:42 PM
    I want to add that I have nothing against someone making a logical decision to purchase a netbook. What I am more concerned with is that these people are educated on what it exactly is before throwing there money on it and realizing it was a bad mistake.

If someone does the research and decides it is still for them thats great tey can love it all they want.

However I think sometimes people just get into the buzz of things and end up regretting spending there money on something that they don't really need or didn't realize exactly what its designed for.
    I have to agree with this. Netbooks aren't big enough money savers for me. You can get a cheap laptop that is way better than a Netbook for $350 - $400... I just wouldn't waste money on a Netbook when a laptop is just a little more expensive but way more powerful.
    05-29-09 05:45 PM
    I have to agree with this. Netbooks aren't big enough money savers for me. You can get a cheap laptop that is way better than a Netbook for $350 - $400... I just wouldn't waste money on a Netbook when a laptop is just a little more expensive but way more powerful.

and this is exactly my point for me personally..

heres the thing that I look at

If i own a netbook I will still have to carry some sort of bag to bring it along..

Most likely the same bag I would carry with a regular laptop..

so honestly if 1 pound of weight is that much of a savings for you and even in some cases less then go for it.. I rather have much more power and use my cell phone in times that I don't need/want a laptop with me.

My decisions often may not be the same as others. I can say I have known quite a few people who purchased a netbook and returned it within a few weeks because they didn't realize what it was and what its designed for hardware wize.
    05-29-09 05:49 PM
    Good price for the netbook but I don't know about the $60 a month on top of your BB plan...ouch!
    05-29-09 06:40 PM
    That's one thing I didn't like too... Lack of a CD drive... But really when you think about it you can get pretty much everything OTA nowadays, or you can do the whole addl drive USB thing. Always fun. I keep all my programs burned to a hard drive at home anyways.

I love the size of them, too. But it shot something into perspective for me... The laptop will fit comfortably in my purse. My PURSE. Either this laptop is TINY, or my purse is HUGE.
    05-30-09 03:10 PM
    Honestly, I don't have any MAINLY problem 8900 tethered my netbook so far.. I didnt add a broadband data plan on my bill..and they did not charge me for that.. how so cool?
    06-07-09 02:32 AM
    noaim...your reasoning still lacks...well reason. a netbook is no different from any other electronic. you make it sound like those who buy them go in blindly...but somehow laptop buyers are more educated.

go in any store and look at the netbooks and laptops. they all list their specs and it is very easy to compare. many people don't need a lot of power on the go. plus, the newer netbooks have 160 gb's.

and size and weight is a very key issue. i quit taking my laptop on the road because it is so heavy with the other things i have to carry in the bag.

people, at least in the us, like convenience. and a netbook is very convenient for some people. they are not for everyone.... for for some, they fill an important niche that has been missing.
    Last edited by chiplatham; 06-07-09 at 01:42 PM.
    06-07-09 07:26 AM
    No CD Drive = Deal Breaker!
    06-07-09 06:09 PM
    I like the idea of the netbook. I have a super nice desktop and laptop already, but the netbook is so cute. I can put it in my purse!! And since my Daisy Storm is always acting an a$$, I can just whip out my new netbook.

I won't get one from Verizon though. I already have their mobile broadband card that I use on my laptop, so I can use that on my netbook when not in a WiFi spot. I just ordered my netbook in pink and I am excited... soFAB!
    06-07-09 06:20 PM
    since this also has wifi and ethernet, can someone confirm, the only data that counts towards the cap, is the aircard, not the wifi and ethernet
    Just want to make sure...
    06-07-09 08:40 PM
    As long as you are not connected and using data from the VZW network, there is no usage against your cap.
    06-07-09 08:52 PM
    No CD Drive = Deal Breaker!
    No netbook has CD/DVD drives in them.. why is this a deal breaker? Really these is no use for a cd/dvd drive (if you want to watch movies on it then backup your movies to a thumbdrive or harddrive.. If you legally own the movie in DVD format then you can make as many backups as you want legally to product your own property...

since this also has wifi and ethernet, can someone confirm, the only data that counts towards the cap, is the aircard, not the wifi and ethernet
    Just want to make sure...
    You should be able to disable the Aircard in Settings -> Control Panel -> Network connections ... You should see the aircard in there, right click it and hit Disable... That way there is no way it can connect when you dont want to use it.... This is pending you have windows XP on it though...
    06-08-09 07:50 AM
    I'm in the market for a netbook. I've done quite a bit of research lately on various models that are available. Several of the people in this thread have mentioned $450sh for a netbook and you may as well buy a laptop.

Most netbooks I've seen are around 300 or so, not 450 bucks. Yes, there are "high-end" netbooks like the loaded HP or Dell but they're not to much different from the ones that are 100 bucks cheaper.

Is this new VZW offering worth it for me? No. Will it be worth it to some business people? Obviously...

For those of you looking for a SWEET keyboard, check out the Samsung N120. Its keyboard is 97% the size of a laptop, vs the 90-92% for most netbooks. The Asus 1008HA is very nice, a slim design much like the Mac "air". MSI's Wind line has new models like the Wind 123-003 with a 9 cell battery for 8-10 hrs of use on a charge.

I already have a laptop, it's perfectly functional but weighs7 or 8 lbs. I'm looking forward to having a 2.5 to 3lb netbook that my wife can carry in her purse without much trouble. She's also looking forward to it so she can take it when she's out running errands and stop by a place with wi-fi to check her FarmTown thing on Facebook.

-Bob
    Last edited by Bob the Noob; 06-09-09 at 08:36 AM.
    06-09-09 08:14 AM
    I have an eee 901 and couldn't be happier with it. The community is great and so are the forums just like crackberry. Look into the eee line you won't regret it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-09-09 09:57 PM
    Got my 10" Acer a couple of weeks ago....and I love it thus far! It meets my needs perfectly. Some of us don't need "a more powerful" full blown laptop. If I need power I still have access to a laptop.

Laptops do get pretty heavy & cumbersome to tote around. With my Acer I toss it in the sleeve & off I go. And depending on where I'm headed, i don't bother w/ the powercord b/c the 6-cell provides great battery life (approx. 6hrs).
    06-10-09 03:15 PM
    There are decent laptops that are $450 but usually not ultra-portable ones like the netbooks. Netbooks are targeted towards people on the go, like businessmen who are constantly on the road or college students. And I don't know about businessmen, but for students, it's great. Most college kids don't need a powerful, full-blown laptop. Instead, they need a lightweight one they can carry around. And you can't find a 9"-12" under $500 besides the netbooks. It still does everything I want--internet surfing, media, simple word-processing--and it fits perfectly in my tiny messenger back. Now, I couldn't do that with the Dell Studios or whatever cheap models there are out there.
    06-13-09 04:46 PM
    im looking at one right now.
    06-13-09 04:50 PM
    im buying mine tomorrow. i cant wait
    06-13-09 05:19 PM
95 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD