06-13-09 05:19 PM
95 1234
tools
    I agree with you.. that why i ignore the poster.. he is bugging us.. he needs buggy off!

I am sorry if I bug you its not intentional... I can tend to be pretty blunt in my posts and pretty strong on my believes.. its not to say I don't listen as I do. Sometimes others posts push me to go do more research and this helps me learn even more. So once again I am not trying to bug you or anyone else but I do love debating
    05-24-09 11:49 PM
    sorry...but i did think you were a she for some reason...and you are young. probably about half my age. did you own one of the first laptops to come out?

your comment about running or not purchased software i find most amusing, since you don't have a clue. i work in the music business and am very sensitive to piracy.

and just to show you what is clearly the other side of the coin...and something you seem to have missed even though i have made the point several times...most people that use netbooks don't need a more powerful processor. they need something compact and easy to take around.

and despite your thinking that everyone prefers typing, browsing, reading spreadsheets and pdf's on a phone as opposed to using a laptop, you are no where close to reality. i know tons of people that own bb's and do even use the browser.

i would be willing to bet that the demo that prefer browsing on a phone to a laptop are largely students.

ps...saying a netbook is not a laptop is like saying a blackberry isn't a blackberry just because it doesn't have gps.
    05-25-09 12:00 AM
    I am sorry if I bug you its not intentional... I can tend to be pretty blunt in my posts and pretty strong on my believes.. its not to say I don't listen as I do. Sometimes others posts push me to go do more research and this helps me learn even more. So once again I am not trying to bug you or anyone else but I do love debating
    Yeah... I have own 15inch laptop and gaming pc. but realized that I using netbook everyday than those! I love netbook mmore than others..

Ahh you do loving debate the pro and con about laptop and netbook.. it look like me that you actually JACKED aleene's thread. if you want to debate , go computer fourms instead of HIJACKED this. you better listen chiplatham's some posts have good points he made.. thank you!
    Last edited by FARBES; 05-25-09 at 12:21 AM.
    05-25-09 12:17 AM
    sorry...but i did think you were a she for some reason...and you are young. probably about half my age. did you own one of the first laptops to come out?

your comment about running or not purchased software i find most amusing, since you don't have a clue. i work in the music business and am very sensitive to piracy.

and just to show you what is clearly the other side of the coin...and something you seem to have missed even though i have made the point several times...most people that use netbooks don't need a more powerful processor. they need something compact and easy to take around.

and despite your thinking that everyone prefers typing, browsing, reading spreadsheets and pdf's on a phone as opposed to using a laptop, you are no where close to reality. i know tons of people that own bb's and do even use the browser.

i would be willing to bet that the demo that prefer browsing on a phone to a laptop are largely students.

ps...saying a netbook is not a laptop is like saying a blackberry isn't a blackberry just because it doesn't have gps.

Holy cow I love the fact that you mentioned the music industry. I think you would be completely and utterly surprised if you new who my mom works for (big fan of the music industry here)... and I highly doubt I am half your age... really really highly doubt it
    because you would be retired if I was.

I still however think that a netbook is not worth the money when you can get a much better machine that does a lot more and near the same weight for slightly more money sorry I think there a ripoff I really do..

netbooks are like e-machines a low low grade computer in a small package...

thats exactly what they are... theres a reason they have the name netbook...

its like saying ohh that e-machine will be good for grandma because all she does is email....

Now they may do a little bit more then simply email and surf the internet but why pay 300 bucks for something when you can get something that is way more powerful for 500 bucks... and nearly the same weight to top that off..

look bottom line is this its a minature computer but it doesn't fit into your pocket so no matter which way you look at it your taking a bag along. is under a pound more really that much to lug around.. to gain access to a slew more of power.. sorry I just don't think the netbook is worth while..

just doesn't make any kind of sense to me and never will sorry

as far as me thinking that everyone prefers typing on a phone I never said "everyone". I said I hear the question about people wanting smartphones to take over there daily tasks way more then I hear a peep about a netbook now because I work for a great deal of people this makes me think that more people then not would prefer a smartphone once again from personal experience.

as far as my first laptop is concerned it was a toshiba running windows 98... bought in 1998
    05-25-09 12:26 AM
    HOly cow I love the fact that you called out the music industry.

not sure where you get calling out from...the music industry has lost billions of $ though piracy. pirated software is no different than illegal downloading of mp3's.

and i agree you can certainly get a better computer at the same weight, but the small footprint is what makes the netbook atractive...that and the price.
    05-25-09 12:27 AM
    not sure where you get calling out from...the music industry has lost billions of $ though piracy. pirated software is no different than illegal downloading of mp3's.

and i agree you can certainly get a better computer at the same weight, but the small footprint is what makes the netbook atractive...that and the price.

sorry changed my wording reread my post

that's how a learned so much about piracy

I guess the footprint thing kind of doesn't stand on its toes for me because really most people have to take a long some sort of bag or something unless it fits in there pocket..

and with the slew of backpacks and laptop bags out there you can easily grab a 13 inch laptop that isn't hard to lug around..

I am really not here to tell other people what to spend there money on.

On a side note if your theory that netbooks will make it is correct. Lets put that in to perspective. Right now there extremely new if they continue to get sales for a while then they will be better over time pushing them into a more "real computer" friendly nation. If that is the case then eventually they will have the power of a regular computer there for at the same price you will get something a ton better.

put it this way. Would you go onto ebay and purchase a computer for 300-400 bucks a laptop thats 4 years old?

because thats basically what the netbooks are just smaller.

End users get frustrated when something is slow. Bar none netbooks are slow running current software unless all you do is surf the net and do email. In which case a updated smarphone is getting close to being perfect on. The websurfing part is not all that hot right now but its getting there. Skyfire or something of the sort will fix it. Even the iPhone has a great browser.

I donno. I look over at my 13 inch macbook and sometimes think the screen size is to small on it if you have to sit at it for a while. I have never had that thought on my phone. I have no clue why maybe its just because its a phone who knows.

If the things had a ton more power then it would be worth it but there just not worth the money in my opinion.

On another note I want to say that I am not here to say all the company's should quit making them because I believe in choices its your choice to own one or not.

Just like a I want wi-fi on my BB and people fight against me for it. I am not fighting against them existing I am however fighting for a better machine in them one more worth the money anyway.
    05-25-09 12:43 AM
    Okay, tell us who your mom works for and both your ages so we can get that all cleared up
    05-25-09 03:48 AM
    Okay, tell us who your mom works for and both your ages so we can get that all cleared up
    hahha nah its really not that big a deal. I mean I have no interest in starting a personal battle with anyone and I have nothing against him.. really
    05-25-09 04:02 AM
    all i can say is WoW !
    05-25-09 04:14 AM
    Verizon is positioning a netbook as a solution to satisfy the need of an all in one device for those who need a bigger screen than a PDA but don't need a full scale computer to lug around.

It's not sold as a full laptop and any rep who does is a flat out moron. It's a middle of the road solution for those who have PDA's who need more but don't need a full blown laptop.
    05-25-09 03:47 PM
    I think that most people would be better served buying a second hand or refurbished laptop for 200-300 bucks rather than getting a netbook. The netbooks remind me of an oversized palm pilot.
    05-25-09 04:41 PM
    my 17 inch hp ate the netbook for breakfast.
    05-26-09 08:27 PM
    A netbook is what my 12 yr old wants..so for that reason alone I know I am too grown & have more uses for a laptop than what a netbook can provide..Its cute tho!
    05-26-09 08:40 PM
    Bottomline IMHO - it is what ever your needs are.
    05-26-09 08:41 PM
    I ordered my Verizon HP Netbook and will get it today. I have an older desktop which I never use, a 14" laptop with Vista and a Storm. I only use the Storm browser when necessary because it can be tedious to use. I also get frustrated with Vista on my laptop because it's so glitchy and not fully compatible with all the programs I use. For example I bought a top of the line scanner/fax/printer/copier before I bought the 14" laptop. Everything works fine with Vista except the scanner. I didn't want to purchase another printer so I just haven't been using the scanner. The Netbook comes with XP so now I will be able to use my scanner again.

I'm not in the habit of carrying around my laptop everywhere I go either. Even though my laptop is small, once you add the carrying case it's a pain to carry all the time especially when you're also carrying a purse and/or briefcase. My job has restricted our internet usage so I think the Netbook will be perfect to carry in my purse and use while at work or on breaks without offending my boss. If the battery gets low well I can just plug it in.

Also I won't have to find a Wi-Fi spot or worry about using a USB or card to connect the internet. I want a clean fully functional device to use without wires and USB sticks sticking out of every orifice. I love my Storm but it's still a phone. I would much much rather email, view docs, network and web browse on a Netbook. Also 199.00 is a very good price for the specs it comes with. I don't mind paying the 60/mo to have internet access everywhere I go - actually I get half off being an employee. Not too keen on the 2 yr contract tho so I will try it out for 30 days first before making the decision to keep it.

All in all it depends on what your needs are as other posters have said already.
    05-28-09 10:38 AM
    Alenee83's Avatar looks sooo ADORABLE, isn't she?? I am not here to stalk or brown nose after her.. she catch my eyes how she loooks great! she looks better than hooters ladies, right?

anyway I had own netbook, have no problem with it since 2008.. but i never have data plan for netbook..

Buyer beware- Don't buy a netbook with a broadband data plan! , there you go!
    Awwwwww thank you so much!!!!
    05-28-09 01:20 PM
    I love my netbook. I didn't get it through verizon because why pay money when wifi is almost everywhere

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 02:12 PM
    I love my netbook. I didn't get it through verizon because why pay money when wifi is almost everywhere

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    This isn't a very accurate statement in the end. For people that travel a lot and/or are constantly flying, it might be better if they bought a netbook with integrated CDMA (or gsm) technology. Take for example my recent flight from Tallahassee, Florida to Albequerque, New Mexico.
    On the way out i flew from Tallahassee, Florida (Free wifi in teh aiport) to Atlanta, GA... missed my flight from Atlanta to Albequerque because my plane was stuck on the tarmac for 1 hour due to traffic and my connecting flight was only a 1 hour lay over. I was stuck in the airport for 7 hours till the next flight out. Atlanta has the luxury of Wifi in its airport... at 6-10 bucks per day access fee of course... Thankfully i am able to tether my blackberry to my laptop and used the internet for free thanks to my cell service since i am not willing to pay 6 dollars for 7 hours of internet access.
    On the way back... Albequerque, New Mexico had free wifi... that was useful till i flew to Dallas, Texas... Dallas, Texas is 6-10 dollars a day for wifi access... My layover was 2 hours so i refused again to pay for it.. Tethered up and surfed... Then i flew into Atlanta, GA... where my plane had a broken flap on the left wing... 30 minute layover turned into a 2 hour layover while we waited for them to find another plane for us to fly on... Since this was a week after my last trip through Atlanta, another 6-10 dollars for 2 hours of internet access... so if i relied on the "wifi" at the airport for this single trip, it would have cost me around $24 (at the cheapest) just for the 11 hours of internet use i would have used at the airport?!?!?!? If I did this more then once every other month, i could see how a netbook with integrated CDMA (or gsm) antennas would be useful (since then you only need to charge the netbook.. not charge the netbook/laptop and charge the blackberry) and also you can still use your phone, unlike me who lost my internet when i had an incoming phone call
    05-28-09 03:28 PM
    Take for example my recent flight from Tallahassee, Florida to Albequerque, New Mexico.
    You came to ABQ and did not even say hi? ShHame shame shame
    05-28-09 09:53 PM
    You came to ABQ and did not even say hi? ShHame shame shame

I had no transportation :-p.. i stayed at the hyatt in uptown and only had a secure buss to Kirtland AFB and onto sandia labs... other then that i had no way of getting around
    05-28-09 10:29 PM
    You're not going to catch me signing a two year contract, especially with Verizon all for a small rebate. $60 a month, that seems like a lot of money. For what you're going to be paying over the two year contract, might as well save a couple of hundred more and get a full size laptop.

Take it back Alenee.
    05-28-09 10:51 PM
    [QUOTE=numus;2672630]I had no transportation :-p.. i stayed at the hyatt in uptown and only had a secure buss to Kirtland AFB and onto sandia labs... other then that i had no way of getting around[/QUOT

Sheesh I have a bike or skate board you could have barrowed
    05-28-09 10:57 PM
    $199 after MIB with a 2 yr.

Thats another issue I have. I can get a netbook for $249 at Walmart or Bestbuy and just tether for $30 a month with no contracts to tie me down.

I'm having a hard time justifying it, but I'm trying
    Ditto here... My BF wants one for his xbox gaming... he uses my laptop to pull up cheat sites and walkthroughs. We had to go to our local vzw store to do a software flash on his Env2 and he saw the netbooks and the price and thought it was a major win. I then showed him same netbooks at walmart and the fact it had wifi and could pick up our internet.. Now he cant wait to pay off his truck so he's got the extra $400 a month to spend on toys like this!
    maybe he'll buy me a new laptop while hes at it. My poor baby needs to be taken to the back pasture and shot!
    05-29-09 06:34 AM
    Also note that it doesn't say what card is in this netbook (or atleast i haven't been able to find that specs). If it is EVDO Rev 0 then it will be around the same as tethering to to your BB or other phones but if it is Rev A then you will see much better performance with this then tethering..
    Just 2 cents worth a buffalo nickel...
    05-29-09 07:30 AM
    I am sorry up front - it amazes me to see such debate about a device. Either meets a need for a person, or it does not meet a need for a person.

As for specs on the card inside - this is from the VZW website

Radio/Frequency Bands: CDMA/1X/EV–DO Rev.A: 800/1900MHz; UMTS/HSPA: 850/1900/2100MHz; GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz

BTW this can used globally as well.

Here is a link to rest of the info about the device NETBOOK
    05-29-09 07:42 AM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD