06-13-09 05:19 PM
95 1234
tools
    For my purposes the netbook will do it. I already have a 17" laptop and a desktop just want something smaller and more portable than my beast of a laptop and I am sick and tired of getting booted from tether every time I get a call. But thanks for the suggestion.
    05-23-09 06:36 AM
    I recently purchased a 5 pound sleek laptop from Dell for under 500. It does everything I need it to do. It is a little big. The screen is 15.6 but very light weight. Not sure why if u can get a laptop for under 500 why u would purchase a netbook and pay 60 a month for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 07:19 AM
    I had a netbook for a while. Overall it was decent. One big issue was that I could not use Roxie Media Manager for my BB because the screen size was not large enough. Now my son is enjoying it and I went to a regular laptop.
    05-23-09 11:33 AM
    for those who want a hp mini 1000 16gb ssd buy.com has them refurb'd for $269.00 if you search around you can find $25 and $10 coupons that stack so u can get it for $235.00 its deff an amazing deal, i paid $400 for mine brand new and returned it for a refurb and cant even tell its refurbed.
    05-23-09 12:58 PM
    i overpay $60.00 on my att bill each month. it looks good when you try to get early upgrades at least on fan acct it does
    05-23-09 01:00 PM
    i overpay $60.00 on my att bill each month. it looks good when you try to get early upgrades at least on fan acct it does
    What the **** does that have to do with this topic?
    05-23-09 01:07 PM
    I purchased one last Sunday, and am thoroughly satisfird with it. Now granted, the 60 bills per month did require a little 'tweaking' of the monthly budget, but I decided it was worth the effort to give this thing a spin. I was perfectly aware of this devices' capabilities, as well as it's limitations. but it was and IS, exactly what I wanted, and that is an ultra lightweight and portable device for web surfing, checking e-mail, and managing the message boards that I frequent. And the hp mini accomplishes all that, as well as a bit more, with relative ease. Atom processor is plenty speedy, and the 10.5 in. screen, is a pleasant surprise as far as being easy on the eyes.

And as for me, not having a CD/DVD drive is no problem at all. the device still sports the windows media player 11 (I believe it's 11), which means I can always stream internet radio if I need to. And I've got a drawer full of various flash drives to store music. I really don't have much use for the built-in webcam, and even if I did, I certainly wouldn't use it on VZW's 5gig ceiling. It would shred that up pretty quickly, with any steady use at all. The little trackpad is a bit annoying to use, and the left click/right click buttons are not very ergonomically placed, but nothing that a 'mouse' wouldn't cure.

All of the user reviews I've read on this device have been overwhelmingly positive, as far as it doing what It was designed to do. And so far, for me, it's been a very good purchase, notwithstanding the pricey data. But if the hp 1151nr mini fullfills a need in your daily schedule, and you're aware of its limitations/capabilities going in, then it's probably worth a look.

I like mine just fine.
    Last edited by Gothamart; 05-23-09 at 11:48 PM.
    05-23-09 11:43 PM
    I recently purchased a 5 pound sleek laptop from Dell for under 500. It does everything I need it to do. It is a little big. The screen is 15.6 but very light weight. Not sure why if u can get a laptop for under 500 why u would purchase a netbook and pay 60 a month for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

this is kind of my point.. a netbook to me seems more like just a addon to what you use..

well why isn't your phone just that addon instead
    05-24-09 01:15 AM
    I done some research since I will be be getting a laptop/notebook to have while I'm away with work.

I'm not really impressed with HP so I looked at a dell and this is what I found.

for $450 you can get a "netbook" with a 10.1 in monitor and 1GB of memory and 16gb of ram OR a laptop with a 15.6 in monitor and 3gb of memory and 260mb of ram............

for the price i'd rather go with the "laptop" for the same price (and i'm getting ready to order mine)..........
    05-24-09 01:22 AM
    people dont understand that the netbook IS NOT a laptop replacement anyone can buy a cheap laptop and have it be a major peice of **** netbooks are small and underpowered for a reason
    05-24-09 01:42 AM
    people dont understand that the netbook IS NOT a laptop replacement anyone can buy a cheap laptop and have it be a major peice of **** netbooks are small and underpowered for a reason

look at the dell he posted -- doesn't look like a piece of crap to me... and thats my point... netbooks are just a phase that I have no clue why anyone is jumping on but to each is own.
    05-24-09 02:52 AM
    This of course depends on your needs and wants in a computer, but a netbook can easily be a laptop replacement. I own one (not the one verizon is offering) and it is my primary computer even. I have found very few things after getting a netbook that I felt I needed a beefier computer to accomplish. The screen sizes can be an issue for some but for most people doing most things the potential performance drop will be a non-issue.

I actually agree that the idea of a netbook as an addition to your computer arsenal is a little silly, in most situations, if you alrealy have a laptop. Some people like that idea and it works for them, but I have always considered netbooks as laptop replacements for me.

A netbook was a good fit for me because I wanted a notebook that was small, light, and had long battery life without spending too much.
    Last edited by shadowsandsaints; 05-24-09 at 07:21 AM.
    05-24-09 07:18 AM
    this is kind of my point.. a netbook to me seems more like just a addon to what you use.. well why isn't your phone just that addon instead
    think a little bit and try to understand not everyone in the world has the same needs as you do. for a business person who has to type a lot of e-mails and documents, a phone could never handle what a netbook could. same thing with the screen, surfing the web, etc.

and try being on a bus or car and watching a full length movie on your phone.

there is no comparision.
    05-24-09 06:38 PM
    They must selling pretty well. I stopped by a corp kiosk at the mall today and a friend of mine - a district manager type was there. He told me he had 20 units this morning and was down to 2 left.
    05-24-09 06:43 PM
    Alenee83's Avatar looks sooo ADORABLE, isn't she?? I am not here to stalk or brown nose after her.. she catch my eyes how she loooks great! she looks better than hooters ladies, right?

anyway I had own netbook, have no problem with it since 2008.. but i never have data plan for netbook..

Buyer beware- Don't buy a netbook with a broadband data plan! , there you go!
    05-24-09 07:14 PM
    This is not any thing a carrier is hiding. These are not meant to be a primary interent source for anyone. When you purchase a device and I am sure were well aware of what you are purchasing and what fees may be involved. It would help if one asks the right questions and researches a product before the purchase of one.

It is also the customers responsibilty to monitor their use, not the carrier.
    05-24-09 07:29 PM
    think a little bit and try to understand not everyone in the world has the same needs as you do. for a business person who has to type a lot of e-mails and documents, a phone could never handle what a netbook could. same thing with the screen, surfing the web, etc.

there is no comparision.

I love that you used this example as I work in IT and support the business man that you are talking about and I would say on average in a weeks time. I get maybe 6 people who ask the question "is there a phone that will do what my current laptop does because I just want to carry a phone instead". Most of these people have huge mailboxes and do a ton of emailing. So I love that you say a phone could never handle the emails that these people do as many of these people pump out more emails in 1 day on there phone then most the general public does in 2 weeks.

I never once said that my needs were the same as someone elses needs. However I work with a ton of people who have many different needs and are at many different skill levels in technology. I don't get many questions about netbooks. I can't say the questions don't exist but there much less then the phone replacement question.

I don't speak for everyone, I really don't but I speak from my personal experience in the situation.
    05-24-09 07:30 PM
    I love that you used this example as I work in IT and support the business man that you are talking about and I would say on average in a weeks time. I get maybe 6 people who ask the question "is there a phone that will do what my current laptop does because I just want to carry a phone instead". Most of these people have huge mailboxes and do a ton of emailing. So I love that you say a phone could never handle the emails that these people do as many of these people pump out more emails in 1 day on there phone then most the general public does in 2 weeks.

I never once said that my needs were the same as someone elses needs. However I work with a ton of people who have many different needs and are at many different skill levels in technology. I don't get many questions about netbooks. I can't say the questions don't exist but there much less then the phone replacement question.

I don't speak for everyone, I really don't but I speak from my personal experience in the situation.
    lololol...you just don't get it...and i don't really care to explain...other than to say typing on a phone for the majority of people will NEVER be as easy as it is on a netbook/laptop. there is a large niche for netbooks and if you don't get that, don't worry...you will in a few years.

i quit taking my laptop out on the road because it is just too bulky and relied on my bb...which is exactly what you said your "business men" did. but a netbook is much easier to tote around than the average laptop. it is a perfect solution for a lot of people and that is why they are selling so well.

i will be getting one...i just don't know if it will be with vzn and a 2 year contract.
    05-24-09 08:35 PM
    lololol...you just don't get it...and i don't really care to explain...other than to say typing on a phone for the majority of people will NEVER be as easy as it is on a netbook/laptop. there is a large niche for netbooks and if you don't get that, don't worry...you will in a few years.

i quit taking my laptop out on the road because it is just too bulky and relied on my bb...which is exactly what you said your "business men" did. but a netbook is much easier to tote around than the average laptop. it is a perfect solution for a lot of people and that is why they are selling so well.

i will be getting one...i just don't know if it will be with vzn and a 2 year contract.
    the reason there selling well is because of the price..

its very little to do with the quality of what your getting and thats why I believe it will come and go. Whats going to happen is full notebooks are going to come down even farther in price and even in size (as they already are)

and the netbook thing will kind of get fazed out.

I keep very familiar with technology but this is definetly something I don't see going very far.

you dont have to explain a thing to me as I can make a decision for myself.

I feel that its fair for me to post my observations just as much as you have the right to post yours. You aren't going to convince me so no sense in trying. I remember when the pre-release of netbooks starting getting around the net so your theory on me realizing later is kind of a joke too because thats assuming that I have no clue what they are...
    05-24-09 08:49 PM
    you do realize that a netbook is a laptop. and that laptop thing...well, it never really faded, did it?

(you keep up with technology all right...that explains why you are running .75 on your storm
    Last edited by chiplatham; 05-24-09 at 10:11 PM.
    05-24-09 10:05 PM
    you do realize that a netbook is just a laptop...only smaller. and that laptop thing...well, it never really faded, did it?

actually there not they use a processor thats far less then that of real notebooks...

you basically have a oversized smartphone in your hand.

The idea of a netbook is simple

to carry out lightweight web surfing tasks and emailing thats about it...

which can easily be done on newer and upcoming cellphones

you say people cant type fast enough or pump out enough emails on a cellphone. I personally know about 5 people that easily type 45-60 words per minute on there smart phone...

I truly believe its a short term faze. I remember a long time ago motorola made a minitature notebook type device for on the go that came and went in a matter of months..

now sense there being pushed so heavy right now for cheap in a market that people are looking for cheap there going to do well for a while..

some people may like them and use them but I truly believe the future is in the smartphone..

I am not going to ask you your age because it doesn't matter but what I want to tell you is all the kids growing up in this time have cellphones and they type back and forth all the time really fast using sms and now even blackberrys

these same kids some of which are already adults now will continue using phones the rest of there life and a lot of those can probably type as fast on there phone as some adults do on a computer.

So yes I think a netbook is a faze and I have seen more people return them then I can count. The future of the smartphone is where its going to be.

Is my statement blunt yes

is my statement accurate only time will tell

could I be wrong maybe

but I have a strong feeling about this one.
    05-24-09 10:14 PM
    why I need a broadband data plan for my netbook?!

for the first time, I wanted trying to tether my 8900 as modem for a connection. it actuallly success working! DANG IT! WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS LONG TIMES AGO???

I connected BB to NETBOOK!

I really thank Thread: How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem
    05-24-09 10:54 PM
    you do realize that a netbook is a laptop. and that laptop thing...well, it never really faded, did it?

(you keep up with technology all right...that explains why you are running .75 on your storm
    I agree with you.. that why i ignore the poster.. he is bugging us.. he needs buggy off!
    05-24-09 10:58 PM
    lol...for some reason i think the poster may be a she. either way, they are showing their age. the processor's in netbooks today are far faster than laptops when they first came out. and netbooks will only inprove, just like laptops.

they also have most of the things people use laptops for, including works, adobe acrobat reader, etc.

and i don't know too many business people that enjoy reading spreadsheets or pdf files on a 2 inch screen...or browsing for that matter.

but that aside, most of the people that i know use laptops for web browsing and use their bb's for browsing only when necessary. and i work in one of the most technological fields there is.
    05-24-09 11:24 PM
    lol...for some reason i think the poster may be a she. either way, they are showing their age. the processor's in netbooks today are far faster than laptops when they first came out. and netbooks will only inprove, just like laptops.

they also have most of the things people use laptops for, including works, adobe acrobat reader, etc.

and i don't know too many business people that enjoy reading spreadsheets or pdf files on a 2 inch screen...or browsing for that matter.

but that aside, most of the people that i know use laptops for web browsing and use their bb's for browsing only when necessary. and i work in one of the most technological fields there is.

and this is the kind of thing that makes me laugh your very first sentence is a direct attack and you have the nerve to say my age is showing?

yes they are faster then when notebooks came out but the software also requires probably 20 times of what it did when notebooks first came out.

look if you don't want to listen to my opinion then don't you don't have to I am not forcing you.

I made my statement and if it stands true I wont even come back to tell you "I told you so".

I make my opinions based on what I have seen in the real world usage..

of course there is going to be a few people who like them I don't doubt that and also a few people who may side with the fact that there the most fantastic thing as you state they are..

sadly enough I think corporations are taking you for a ride on these purchases because the low end notebooks are way more power for slightly more money and are actually getting pretty compact anyway...

as far as business people who dont enjoy reading pdf files on there phone or word documents as you say..

there is plenty that do it all the time and don't seem to mind it. No I am not a she...

If you can't hack a debate then don't start one.

I work in network administration if you needed to know - and no I don't put blinders on to technology and I keep pretty up to date on whats out there. However I just don't think this netbook thing is worth while

as far as RUNNING .75 on my storm you can joke all you want. I prefer to stay in line with company rules one of which for verizon is to run approved software.. I also run fully purchased software on all my computers which I am willing to bet you don't.

If hacking my phone to break company policy for my cellphone holds me back from being up on technology then you have another thing coming.. I have stated many time's over and over that this is my opinion so once again if you can not hack debating then don't debate it because if you post something in response to me I will post something back and to refresh your memory here is where you started a debate with me in which I responded and will keep responding as you continue to want to debate.

there is no comparision.
    Last edited by noaim; 05-24-09 at 11:53 PM.
    05-24-09 11:38 PM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD