06-13-09 05:19 PM
95 123 ...
tools
    I decided to try Verizon's new netbook, since Ive been wanting a laptop anyway! Its very sleek, light weight and super portable. Verizon's 3g broadband connection is fast and smooth! Only down side is there is no CD rom drive. I have 30 days, so Im taking it for a spin

Anyone else pick one of these up?
    05-21-09 01:33 PM
    Sweet, I've been thinking bout trying one out myself. No CD drive may be a deal breaker for me tho.
    Last edited by sprke81; 05-21-09 at 11:36 PM.
    05-21-09 01:38 PM
    How much is it? I might need a cheapie netbook just to do OS upgrades/backups/syncing, since I have a Mac at home.
    05-21-09 01:41 PM
    How much is it? I might need a cheapie netbook just to do OS upgrades/backups/syncing, since I have a Mac at home.
    $199 after MIB with a 2 yr.

Thats another issue I have. I can get a netbook for $249 at Walmart or Bestbuy and just tether for $30 a month with no contracts to tie me down.

I'm having a hard time justifying it, but I'm trying
    05-21-09 01:46 PM
    ya the $60/mo data plan is the only thing I have an issue with. I already pay $30 for my bb data. I may return it before the 30 day mark if I decide my bb is enough and dont need the netbook.
    05-21-09 01:53 PM
    Sweet, I've been thinking bout trying one out myself. No CD drive may be a deal breaker for me tho.
    It's a netbook. It's not supposed to come with a CD drive. I don't think there are any netbooks that have a CD/DVD drive.
    05-21-09 04:45 PM
    It's a netbook. It's not supposed to come with a CD drive. I don't think there are any netbooks that have a CD/DVD drive.
    I know. I was talking bout netbooks in general.

I'm trying to decided if I should lug a full size laptop around or get a netbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 04:50 PM
    Plug a USB CD/DVD drive into it.
    05-21-09 04:50 PM
    You can get an external CD/DVD drive and USB connect it.
    05-21-09 09:01 PM
    What Frasej said..
    05-21-09 09:01 PM
    not a big fan of the hp netbook, the solid state hard drive is great, but its not much space, so thats no fun. and i work in computer repair, and you would be surprised how many of those little guys we see!@
    05-21-09 09:07 PM
    I just saw a commercial for this on tv. The thing looks awfully tiny compared to other netbooks.

05-21-09 09:09 PM
    I just saw a commercial for this on tv. The thing looks awfully tiny compared to other netbooks.

actually in comparison in real life i feel like its a bit bigger. def has a nicer keyboard layout then all other netbooks IMO
    05-21-09 09:12 PM
    The keyboard layout is pretty nice.

Only thing I don't like about net/notebooks is the lack of keypad. I know I could get a usb keypad, but between that, a usb drive and a usb mouse (I hate optical mouses), that's three connections already, lol..

05-21-09 09:16 PM
    I personally think the idea of the netbook was kind of lame when it first came out to begin with...

cell phones have almost as much power as netbooks..

you can complete most tasks the same almost...

I dont see a need for a middle ground when you could just go get a 13 inch full boar laptop and have any of many pda/smartphones out there to compliment it...

thats just my 2 cents..
    05-21-09 10:15 PM
    I'm getting ready to take a traveling job and am looking to get a netbook or laptop since my old laptop is shot. I wouldn't need a whole lot since it would mainly be for web surfing, but can't decide if I should save the few hu dred bucks and settle for a netbook or not.........

05-22-09 11:01 PM
    I'm getting ready to take a traveling job and am looking to get a netbook or laptop since my old laptop is shot. I wouldn't need a whole lot since it would mainly be for web surfing, but can't decide if I should save the few hu dred bucks and settle for a netbook or not.........

you will miss the processing power of a regular laptop..

netbooks are pretty low class... saving the couple hundred bucks doesn't really save you anything in the long run as the netbook will be outdated much sooner then a full blown laptop..

If you are a person that has extra money to spend and can afford both then so be it. A netbook does not replace a laptop. I know so many people who have purchased a netbook and three weeks later asked themselves why they did it and wished that they didn't..

They are limited.

I will say I may not be the best person to ask as I am extremely into technology but don't have a boat load of money to always spend on it.
    05-22-09 11:54 PM
    you will miss the processing power of a regular laptop..

netbooks are pretty low class... saving the couple hundred bucks doesn't really save you anything in the long run as the netbook will be outdated much sooner then a full blown laptop..

If you are a person that has extra money to spend and can afford both then so be it. A netbook does not replace a laptop. I know so many people who have purchased a netbook and three weeks later asked themselves why they did it and wished that they didn't..

They are limited.

I will say I may not be the best person to ask as I am extremely into technology but don't have a boat load of money to always spend on it.
    For many people, a netbook actually COULD replace a laptop. Particularly if you get one with a bigger hard drive (either a big SSD drive, which is nice but is $$, or a regular HDD). The Atom processor is QUITE capable of every day tasks, including e-mail, internet, music playing, video/youtube, and office tasks like word processing. My cousin recently purchased one, and is so surprised by its capabilities, it is now his only computer.

The only significant negative of a netbook for "daily tasks" is screen real estate and keyboard size. Some people are willing to trade that for portability, though.

I will agree, that if you have a laptop, a netbook is probably more a fun toy than a useful purchase. However, for many users who have desktops, a netbook is an excellent choice for a secondary portable computer. First, its cheap - its tough to spend a hefty chunk of change on a nice laptop you'll only use for occasional travel, but its a lot easier if its $299 on a netbook. Second, its portable, and incredibly easy to deal with in airport security, and so forth. Third, its not your main computer, so its good enough for the task at hand.

BlackBerries are wonderful, but lets face it, if you're traveling, a BB is NOT a replacement for a computer for a week. A netbook, on the other hand, is.

I don't think the netbook market is a niche as some people believe. Most reasonably light and thin laptops are quite pricey. The only thing you get really cheap is a "brick" that's ugly and weighs a ton. There is a lot of pent up demand in my mind for a cheap, highly portable, secondary computer for traveling, or even just setting up in the coffee shop with during lunch.

I do kind of think the Verizon netbook may not sell super well though. $60 a month is a lot. The only people I see buying mobile broadband are businessmen who get aircards for hardcore business travel. And I doubt THOSE individuals would be satisfied with a netbook. Effectively, you are pairing the "Cadillac" of mobile internet connections with the Ford Festiva of computers. Probably not the best sell. I could be wrong, but I think most netbook users would be more than satisfied with WiFi. Or a Verizon Dongle they can use on more than one machine.
    05-23-09 12:40 AM
    ya the $60/mo data plan is the only thing I have an issue with. I already pay $30 for my bb data. I may return it before the 30 day mark if I decide my bb is enough and dont need the netbook.
    Is there any way to activate it without the $60 a month plan?

. . . I kid...
    2 pages was too long to go.

Does this come with the same 5g a month data cap?

05-23-09 01:29 AM
    to the people who dont see a point in a netbook you obviously work at mcdonalds or something along those lines for business people its great, students its great. mcdonalds workers makin $8.00 a hour wanting to check their myspace on their 15min break..well i guess it doesnt have enough power to load your sweet pages with 45+ flash movies and glitter graphics all over the place..shucks..

neways i own a hp and its awesome.. um i LOL'd outloud over the comment about it being smaller then MOST netbooks out.. again must work @ mcdoanlds because this is one of the FEW that contain a 92% keyboard its a very nice sized netbook and sleek as **** only thing that comes close to the sleekness is the new eee which u can preorder because its not out yet.

...fools
    05-23-09 02:01 AM
    to the people who dont see a point in a netbook you obviously work at mcdonalds or something along those lines for business people its great, students its great. mcdonalds workers makin $8.00 a hour wanting to check their myspace on their 15min break..well i guess it doesnt have enough power to load your sweet pages with 45+ flash movies and glitter graphics all over the place..shucks..

neways i own a hp and its awesome.. um i LOL'd outloud over the comment about it being smaller then MOST netbooks out.. again must work @ mcdoanlds because this is one of the FEW that contain a 92% keyboard its a very nice sized netbook and sleek as **** only thing that comes close to the sleekness is the new eee which u can preorder because its not out yet.

...fools
    I was saying that the commercial made it out to look like it was smaller than other netbooks. When they showed it on top of the laptops keyboard it looked like it was smaller than the other 1000 minis. After seeing the 1151 in person, I realize that it is actually a little bit bigger heightwise. The company I work for gave those that didn't have a laptop the option of a getting a dell mini z530 if they wanted, so I know what a netbook looks like. I agree that they are a great replacement for a laptop but not meant to be a complete replacement for a laptop.

05-23-09 03:19 AM
    Is there any way to activate it without the $60 a month plan?

. . . I kid...
    2 pages was too long to go.

Does this come with the same 5g a month data cap?

Yeah tethernetbook
    05-23-09 03:27 AM

...fools
    no I dont work at mcdonalds...

that was 15 years ago

still doesn't change my opinion about netbooks..

I know that most the end users that I work with would simply like there phone to cover as many tasks as possible and possibly even replace there laptop on shorter trips.

even at like 499-700 bucks that I see these HP's (and im not a hp fan at all) I think there worth it more then any netbook on the market...
    05-23-09 04:27 AM
    So I have been pricing these out wondering if it is good investment and if you build the exact same thing at HP's website you end up around $500 So I think I am going to go with a one year contract and pay the higher price but only be locked in for one year. Then I can cancel if I want to, I doubt I will, and use just the wifi.
    05-23-09 06:13 AM
    So I have been pricing these out wondering if it is good investment and if you build the exact same thing at HP's website you end up around $500 So I think I am going to go with a one year contract and pay the higher price but only be locked in for one year. Then I can cancel if I want to, I doubt I will, and use just the wifi.

look in the sunday paper at discount adds you will probably find a better laptop if thats what your interested in..

If a netbook does it for you thats cool but just saying..
    05-23-09 06:28 AM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD