Verizon's first LTE smartphone an iPhone? - Computerworld

Verizon Wireless's first LTE smartphone will be Apple's iPhone, according to an anonymous source who told MacDaily News the device had been spotted at a company training session.

The report said the iPhone on the faster LTE network would appear just after Christmas because AT&T demanded to hold onto exclusive holiday sales of the iPhone in the U.S.

The after-Christmas sales of an LTE iPhone makes some sense, given Verizon's admission that it would announce LTE-capable phones at the Consumer Electronics Show in early January.

Most analysts have predicted that Verizon would not get an iPhone to sell from Apple until March or so, and they expected it would probably run only over the slower Verizon CDMA network.

The new LTE iPhone would be backwards compatible with CDMA, which runs about 10 times slower than LTE, the source told MacDailyNews. Part of the reason for that is because LTE access won't be nationwide on Verizon until at least late 2011. Verizon launched LTE in 38 U.S. markets on Dec. 5, with access only on USB modems used with laptops.

According to the anonymous source, the new iPhone on LTE would be exclusive to Verizon, and would be marketed as such. The source said the device shown at a training session is "100% cooked" and already shipping in bulk to Verizon warehouses.

Industry observers, however, said putting an LTE-only version on sale would make little sense given the iPhone's current success on AT&T and elsewhere with slower network speeds.

Verizon would not comment on the report or its plans for LTE smartphones beyond reiterating what officials have said before -- that an LTE smartphone should appear by February.
    12-13-10 01:34 PM
    We'll see. Still won't change me right away, but I am holding out hope for this as an upgrade for my wife from her dumb phone.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 03:39 PM
    Apple would never do that. They will release the 3G iPhone early next year on Verizon then an LTE for I'm guessing Christmas 2011. Apple is always behind hardware wise on everything they put out. They do it on purpose. Could they release an LTE iPhone next month? Sure they could...but they won't..lol
    12-13-10 03:53 PM
    For my wife's needs, a 3G, CDMA only iphone would be just ducky....

12-13-10 04:01 PM
    An iPhone on VZW would be groovy.

12-13-10 04:22 PM
    Won't be LTE.
    Analysts don't have a clue. LTE is limited in coverage and really doesn't buy you anything on a mobile device.

It will be 3G.
    12-13-10 05:43 PM
    We'll see as the time draws closer. I'm not holding my breath for it. But I do have a glimmer of hope.

12-13-10 10:18 PM
    Beat me to it! I just got a Phone Arena article in my fb feed.

Says it will have backwards compatibility.
    12-14-10 07:20 AM
    Will believe it when I see it, but honestly it makes sense to me that if VZW does get the iPhone it would be CDMA and LTE. The timing is right and it doesn't make sense to out a lot of develooment into a phone that would only have a two month or so shelf life (CDMA only). Plus having LTE capability on the VZW version would be a huge deal for sales.

But the only people who really know haven't spoken...

12-14-10 11:16 AM
    Rumor #fail
    12-14-10 11:20 AM
    Considering how long it took the iPhone to get camera flash, video, MMS, multi-tasking, copy/paste, SW updates etc...I doubt they will be the first LTE VzW phone.
    12-14-10 12:22 PM
    In the future yes, but they plan on releasing their first 4G phones in Q1 and the iPhone hasn't even begun to enter the manufacturing stages anticipating a Q2 release if that...VZW is focusing on CDMA/LTE iPad rollouts in Q1 and I think that's enough for them to worry about

Plus, they haven't even figured out the 4G pricing scheme for phones yet...they already said they weren't going to be charging as much as $50/5GB as that is an initial pricing point to test out their network prior to the full rollout...

Offering 4G phones as early as Q1 IMO is a bad move since their coverage areas are VERY limited and they will only have a max of 4 months to iron out all the kinks on the "soft" 4G rollout...I don't see this taking off any time soon.

I'll dismiss this as a rumor
    12-14-10 12:31 PM
    12-14-10 12:33 PM
    Not according to what I have heard.

I expect a CDMA iPhone early next year, but have heard talk that Apple is a long ways from LTE version.

I expect a 3G iphone will be competing with some 4G model phones on Verizon.

Verizon's current 4G coverage I think is pretty impressive for an initial rollout...maybe I only say that since I live in a coverage area....Isn't it already more coverage than Sprint? Maybe T mobile 4G like network is more...haven't looked at their coverage map.
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 12-14-10 at 02:58 PM.
    12-14-10 02:56 PM
    Not according to what I have heard.

I expect a CDMA iPhone early next year, but have heard talk that Apple is a long ways from LTE version.

I expect a 3G iphone will be competing with some 4G model phones on Verizon.

Verizon's current 4G coverage I think is pretty impressive for an initial rollout...maybe I only say that since I live in a coverage area....Isn't it already more coverage than Sprint? Maybe T mobile 4G like network is more...haven't looked at their coverage map.
    It's the cellphone mantra - release and re-release! You've got it there...I don't know why others can't seem to understand that by the time you buy your "Driod X" a new Droid will be out in a few more months...why? These guys are making BANK offa marketing "bigger, better, faster, and newer" to gullable consumers who just buy anything they "think" is cooler than what they currently have.

And you think if VZW gets the iPhone they'd just sell a new one with all the bells and whistles with 4G - has Apple ever done that? No, simply put, they'd wanna milk it for all it's worth, sell a 3G model quickly followed by a 4G model just like blaisedinsd mentioned...and again, I must reiterate...VZW 4G isn't even near launch for phones...

get it together and stop believing the hype...

by the way blaisedinsd I love your avatar...lol
    12-14-10 03:26 PM
    lol @ ppl who think Apple is releasing a 3G only iPhone next month.

Whether Apple is usually behind in hardware makes no difference. Jobs is paying Verizon to hold off releases on other phones to prepare for Verizon's first LTE phone - the iPhone 4G. Makes plenty of sense too seeing as Apple and ATT's agreement ends in January.

I'm an android fanatic but the 4G iPhone is coming to Verizon after Christmas.

12-15-10 09:11 AM

Whether Apple is usually behind in hardware makes no difference. Jobs is paying Verizon to hold off releases on other phones to prepare for Verizon's first LTE phone - the iPhone 4G. Makes plenty of sense too seeing as Apple and ATT's agreement ends in January.

Apple counts on their brand...the first iphone wasn't even 3G.

Apple is all about dangling that carrot....even if they could release an LTE iphone early next year on VZW, which I don't think they can, they wouldn't. They release it in a year they get all those lemmings paying full price for an upgrade.
    12-15-10 11:41 AM
    [QUOTE=theruined;5865729]It's the cellphone mantra - release and re-release! You've got it there...I don't know why others can't seem to understand that by the time you buy your "Driod X" a new Droid will be out in a few more months...why? These guys are making BANK offa marketing "bigger, better, faster, and newer" to gullable consumers who just buy anything they "think" is cooler than what they currently have.

?? I bought my Droid X after 3 months of patiently waiting and researching the device through and through. We're living in an era of extremely progressive technology and without those "gullable" consumers our entire economy would be non-existant. I love my X and I'll be happy to wait the 2 years so maybe I can get an LTE Android device. I'm glad all these new devices are coming out... It's great to see new technology!!
    12-15-10 12:58 PM

I love how you are so sure of this. I'm gonna save this thread...we shall see.
    12-15-10 01:07 PM
    Personally, I think Apple is usually pretty systematic with things. I don't see them releasing anything until the normal June/July time with an announcement a few months before. The iPad is following the similar 1 year rotation and, VZW or not, I don't see Apple altering their workflow.
    12-15-10 01:16 PM
    It's the cellphone mantra - release and re-release! You've got it there...I don't know why others can't seem to understand that by the time you buy your "Driod X" a new Droid will be out in a few more months...why? These guys are making BANK offa marketing "bigger, better, faster, and newer" to gullable consumers who just buy anything they "think" is cooler than what they currently have.
    ?? I bought my Droid X after 3 months of patiently waiting and researching the device through and through. We're living in an era of extremely progressive technology and without those "gullable" consumers our entire economy would be non-existant. I love my X and I'll be happy to wait the 2 years so maybe I can get an LTE Android device. I'm glad all these new devices are coming out... It's great to see new technology!!
    Understood, it's clear we live in an accelerated tech market, but what fuels the market is people quite the opposite of you who don't do sh*t research and go out to grab crappy consumer electronics just to appear savvy...

my comments weren't meant as a negative thing, yes, consumerism drives our "consumer" based economy...it's ironic though - consumerism, or lack thereof, is killing our economy...

anyway, I would get on a rant as to why your android could "suck it" when it comes to RIM or Apple strategic planning, but I won't go there...you do the research and educate yourself as to how many gullible (I realize I mispelled this earlier ) consumers bought into the whole droid game and are essentially destroying the cell phone market.

As far as Apple goes...they are not one to play games, but in this case they will capitalize on a 3G model followed quickly by a 4G model...again they've done this all along, there won't be a 4G iPhone in Jan just because there is WAY more money in a 3G THEN 4G launch...esp when vzw fans have been anticipating this release since late '08 - if a 4G phone comes out I will eat my words, until then I am entitled to this theory because I can back it up with a long list of historic strategic planning decisions made by Apple since the release of the very first iPod...where's your evidence?
    12-15-10 06:15 PM
    The frustrating thing is, no model of i-ANYTHING was the first or best implementation of any technology they contain. I think the LG Prada says enough about that.

I would like to remind everybody that the iPhones are manufactured by Foxconn, who also makes Xbox 360 motherboards, and PS3 motherboards, and all of their pretty colored lights of death.

Though it would be nice if Apple would start dumping iPod and Macbook calls onto somebody other than AT&T when they're being particularly unhelpful to their customers.
    12-19-10 09:50 AM
    Actually that would make a lot of sense if it was true. first it would drive sales of the iphone even more than if it was just 3g. It would also have the potential to pull more people from ATT that wouldn't have otherwise come before if they just released a 3g device. Also releasing the iphone first will ensure that the iphone doesnt get overshadowed be the new LTE Driod based phones that will be coming out after it. It would basically pout the iphone in a place to maximize sales. Whereas releasing it later in the year where there would more competition on Verizon, very stiff competition fact, that would sap sales away from the iphone.
    12-22-10 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD