06-19-08 08:07 AM
26 12
    I just recently got a BB Curve with Verizon, but I am "seriously" thinking of switching my service over to Sprint. The main reason: Sprint's $99.00 Simply Everything Plan includes EVERYTHING where Verizon's does not.

With Verizon I'm paying:
    - $99.00 for Nationwide Unlimited
    - $15.00 for 1500 Text, Pic & Video Messaging
    - $5.99 for Equiptment Coverage
    - $29.99 for Email & Web Access (BIS)
    $150.97 MONTHLY

Now, I'm not looking for an argument here, but I am looking for some factual, unbiased, PROs and CONs that can justify (or not justify) the extra $50.00 per month that I'm having to pay with Verizon - and then on top of that they have the darn thing locked down so that I can't use any third party apps. And if I have misunderstood Sprint's Plan, please tell me - my understanding is that the $99.00 is for EVERYTHING and there are no additional add on's that I'll need with Sprint - right ?

I think that Verizon and Sprin't coverage areas are "pretty much" the same (I used to have a Nextel phone), so I don't think that's a real issue.

So, please help me "reason" this out so that I can make an "informed" decision.

Thanks in advance for your input and feedback.
    Last edited by KBattle; 06-15-08 at 10:19 AM.
    06-14-08 08:34 PM
    In my area, sprint has spotty coverage, I had them for 15 months before I got so fed up, I gladly paid the etf and went to vzw.
    That being said, if anyone besides vzw had the same coverage at a lower price, I'd switch, but they don't, sprint also doesn't have mms.
    If your in the first 30 with vzw, port to sprint, they have a test drive also, heck try tmo and AT&T, I believe they all have test drives, pick the best coverage, for you, before the price because once you're in contract, it's a long frustrating ordeal if you hate your carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-08 08:46 PM
    I do not think sprints plan includes smartphones. May still be cheaper but not 99 bucks. And the coverage is not the same. They can roam on vzw and AllTel but sprint is notorious for crappy buildouts where there is just enough signal to keep you from roaming. That being said I've been in areas where sprint had fantastic coverage and the best voice quality I've ever heard. Just gotta try it and see if it works for you. There cs sucks no matter how ya slice it though.

06-14-08 09:19 PM
    Yes, it does include them... It's simply everything!

Honestly, if you get good service, the extra $50 for less is not justifiable. Switch! Lol.

Remember one thing, customer service is going to be a toss up!
    06-14-08 09:23 PM
    I do not think sprints plan includes smartphones. May still be cheaper but not 99 bucks. And the coverage is not the same. They can roam on vzw and AllTel but sprint is notorious for crappy buildouts where there is just enough signal to keep you from roaming. That being said I've been in areas where sprint had fantastic coverage and the best voice quality I've ever heard. Just gotta try it and see if it works for you. There cs sucks no matter how ya slice it though.

Not sure what you mean by not including smartphones. I have it on my blackberry curve, everything is included, including tethering. insurance is not. and for some reason, sprint blackberries cannot MMS. I have a verizon phone as well. the verizon has better coverage for voice, at least where I live, but the price difference is so big I put up with it.
    06-14-08 09:32 PM
    My coverage with Sprint is great; always has been- that includes living on the east and west coast. In terms of price, thats the big ticket item.
    With Sprint, sure there's no MMS, but for the price that you'd pay for everything, would MMS be the deal breaker for real?

I think every other carrier charges for this and that. When Sprint said $99 for everything (includes BIS), they meant it.
    06-14-08 10:18 PM
    Take it from someone that had Verizon 3 times in 15 years. They were Bell Atlantic then Verizon.

The coverage is fantastic. It's all CDMA and they have the most general coverage out there.

Here's the kicker... So doesn't Sprint but Sprint has MORE coverage. Let me explain:

Sprint used to be disgustingly horrible. So bad that I left for Nextel in 1999. My friend was a Regional VP for Sprint and I got free everything including a $5.00 a month plan (for like 800 minutes then) but I still left. Why? I wanted coverage. I didn't get it with Nextel either. I left Nextel for the newly created Verizon and was happy with everything but the bill. I switched to Sprint again and then back to Verizon again... Yes, I know.

Anyhow, I was always searching for a way out of Verizon... I wandered into a Sprint store years later (2005) and noticed that they were offering free roaming to customers. I knew that the only CDMA carrier was Verizon that Sprint could roam on and I was instantly hooked up again for the final time.

My experience with Sprint is 100% better than Verizon. I hope that toolbox they use in those commercials catches on fire or something.

Seriously though. Sprint CS can suck but you just hang up and call again and you will get someone that will give you the world. Just mention the iPhone to retentions and you'll be on your "unlimited" plan for 55 bucks like me. My total bill is about 185.00 but I get 130 in credits.

When you roam, you're on verizon. I'll never forget the time I was down the shore and my family all had Verizon with no signal at the house. I was the only one with Sprint and I had a Sprint signal! So your coverage will actually be better if you roam.

Keep in mind a few things:

If you lose your Sprint signal, the call will drop. Just call back. I am on Amtrak trains all day every day from boston to washington and I ALWAYS have a good signal.

F*#K verizon!

06-14-08 10:39 PM
    Sprints SEP does not include tethering, there's an extra charge for that. Other than that everything is included. It all comes down to who has the best coverage in your area, then price. Figure that out and make your choice.

I've been with Sprint for about 8 years, yeah CS can be a biatch but honestly, how often do you really need to call?
    06-14-08 10:46 PM
    I have the SEP on my BB Curve and that includes everything except thethering. With insurance and after taxes I pay $122/month not bad. Plus I live in NYC and my svc is great and I'm not even being bias

06-14-08 11:01 PM
    Oops sorry I thought there was an additional charge for smartphones. If I could save a 50 I'd try it just give it a good rundown. Can you force roam on sprint BBs? That option can be a lifesaver.

06-15-08 07:57 AM
    In my experience, Sprint just simply sucks! The worst customer service I have ever dealt with and the coverage was so bad in the are where I moved to I had to pay almost $700 to cancel my plan early! Verizon is a little pricey but I have great coverage and just love the customer service!
    06-15-08 09:37 AM
    I pay $90 a month with att, and thats with unlimited text, and unlimited internet. i only have 400 minutes, but all i do is text...lol And i prolly have about 1500 rollover minutes now...lol And when i first had it and only had 1500 text, and went over mine by about 3 grand they took it all off! Att is the sh*t! im happy! Just my .02, sorry!
    06-15-08 10:59 AM
    Well, Thanks to all who responded. I need to make a decision in the next couple of days b/c my 30 day trial period will be up here soon.
    06-16-08 07:35 AM
    3rd party apps are not all locked down. I have several on my BB and did not pay extra. Only thing I paid extra for was the VZ Navigator. You may want to log onto Verizon's website and look over all their plans. I have 5 phones 2 data plans unlimited texting and I pay under $200.00 a month.
    06-16-08 08:35 AM

I think I'm going to go with Verizon. After running some "unofficial" tests, it appears to me that they do have the best coverage in the areas that I need to work and play in. And right now, getting a good signal and a strong connection that won't constantly drop calls is at the top of my priority list as far as having a BB goes.

I guess I'll just have to pay the extra fees for the unlimited voice and data plans for now until they get a clue that they are overcharging us.
    06-18-08 05:57 AM
    Most apps run well. The only thing that really gets locked out are apps the use GPS. Verizon only allows its VZNavigator to us the GPS. I've actually got an external GPS puck in my car, and can use any other GPS application with the puck.
    06-18-08 10:33 AM
    it comes down to this sprint is 1 of the worst cell phone company of all times, their service is sad and no mms it just doesn't make any sense is this the '90 no mms wow! Simply everthing plan is good but you can simply use it half the time because their service is terrible. Did you read consumer reports? Didn't you see them at the bottom of almost every field? Just think about it, it's like having a benz and a ford, one is good and really reliable and one you have to Fix Or Repair Daily!
    06-18-08 12:32 PM
    OMG no MMS the world is going to end! Seriously, is MMS really that important? Everyone has an email address, so just email them the pictures. I believe in 4.5 Sprint phones will have MMS. I have had Verizon, and I think they are horrible. I have coverage everywhere I go with Sprint, and if not, free roaming and I'm on the Verizon network. $99 for everything is a great deal. As for the Sprint CS, I have never had a problem with them. The ones I have talked to have been extremely nice and very informed about whatever you ask them.
    06-18-08 12:46 PM
    Stay with verizon, call and get your stuff bundled so you can save some money. Your phones not locked you can download all the 3rd party apps you want.

06-18-08 12:50 PM
    some people don't get email on their phones thats why you have mms wow! Didn't sprint lose like i don't know a MILLION customers thats got to tell you something.
    06-18-08 01:44 PM
    Didn't say email on the phone. I said email address, meaning a general account. I'm pretty sure everyone has one of those. Oh no, I can't send a picture like a text! I really don't get why that's such an important feature of a phone. Send it to there email and they can view it on their computer. Is that hard to do? Besides people thinking their CS sucks (never had a problem), and their bad coverage (I get great coverage, service everywhere), I don't get it. Is no MMS that big of a deal? If it is, than that's pretty pathetic. If you are passing up a $99 plan that has everything, than I don't know what to tell you. If Sprint doesn't have great coverage in your area, fine thats ok, if you have had really bad experiences, thats ok too, but to keep seeing "Sprint is lame because they have no MMS" is very annoying. People are making it sound like they send 100 pictures a day.
    06-18-08 02:00 PM
    Im going to put in my 2 cents...I am now a Sprint customer and have been for 2.5 yrs My parents had sprint so we joined. We had a nextel rep back in Feb hack into one of our other personal utility accounts not even related to sprint, we have to call every month to get our bill fixed, customer service is rude and you get hung up on, and up until I got a curve all their equipment would work about a wk then either not work..drop calls..or not even get a signal.

I have tried about every phone with sprint with curve being best, however, I have a brand new curve coming tomorrow from Verizon, We are porting out due to poor customer service and having to fight with them every mo over something petty as well as the nice privacy violation by Nextel that we have hired a lawyer to handle. I probably spend 3-4 hrs a month on the phone/hold with Sprint. I called Verizon since we had them before Sprint they gave us 2 brand new free phones one being a curve, the mo bill is goin to avg about the same in price with the minutes we use and we still have everything we had with Sprint.

Its nice to call Verizon-they are always friendly, resolve your issue quickly and you dont get transferred a 100 times or hung up on. To me its worth an extra 10, 20, even 50 bucks to get good signal and good customer service.
    06-18-08 04:15 PM
    some people don't have a computer so mms is good for those people who don't want to have to go home or go to a friends house or a kinkos to see a picture or video thats stupid plus the service sucks so why pay $99 when it works half the time when i can pay a extra what 20 and have it work almost flawless.
    06-18-08 09:56 PM
    I live in the mid-hudson valley in upstate new york and sprint sucks! i had almost every carrier in the past ten years and the last four years with verizon have been the best. I don't have the unlimited plan cause everyone i talk to has verizon and in calling is free. i have an unlimited messaging plan because thats my main way of communication. By far verizon is the best! besides if i'm somewhere without service like a basement or something the battery dies super quick.
    06-18-08 11:02 PM
    Sprint was probably the worst service I've ever had. US cellular was pretty crappy too, but no one could beat their $49.99 unlimited minutes plan. Good luck on your search for a carrier.

06-18-08 11:08 PM
26 12