I bought a "like new" blackberry storm from another person. It was already unlocked and this person was already using att on it. I put in my sim card everythings great. ( i also have ATT ) Then i ran into problems getting the browser and MMS working. Thanks to Crackberry, that is also now up and working. THEN, Of course, I run into another problem. While trying to set up my email it keeps telling me account is already taken. after speaking with BB Support they tell me to have Verizon release the PIN and then give my PIN AND IMEI to ATT and things should b fine. Sounds simple. However, Verizon wont release the PIN without all the pre existing customers info. Since the person i got it from didnt even have verizon im pretty much out of luck. Ive tried going into the store and calling tech support and everything else. Each time they give the same answer. We can release the PIN only with old owners info.

I know there has to b a way around this!!! PLZZ sum1 help. i would love to have working email. its the only thingg that doesnt work right on my storm..
    05-29-09 04:53 PM
    better find the original owner that had it on VZW
    there is no way around it to my knowledge
    05-29-09 04:56 PM
    If previous person had it on AT&T BIS, then there's no way its PIN is still associated with Verizon. If you're trying to setup email via the Email Setup app on the phone, that might be your issue. Do it via the AT&T BIS portal website. See if that'll let you associate the PIN. If not, then the previous person who sold it to you and said they had it working on AT&T lied to you.

Calling RIM for a release might be your only option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 05:01 PM
    thanks JRSC.. ill give those a try. I asked the previous person to make a call when i first checked it out. ( with att sim card in ) and it worked. Im not sure tho if they ever used email or not.. Im pretty sure the PIN is still with verizon tho cause when i called i think they pulled it up by the PIN but just wouldnt release it cause i couldnt supply the rite info.. Ill try through the att portal. if not ill contact RIM.. if all else fails ill settle for using the browser i guess. I really appreciate the help....
    05-29-09 05:09 PM
    thanks JRSC.. ill give those a try. I asked the previous person to make a call when i first checked it out. ( with att sim card in ) and it worked. Im not sure tho if they ever used email or not.. Im pretty sure the PIN is still with verizon tho cause when i called i think they pulled it up by the PIN but just wouldnt release it cause i couldnt supply the rite info.. Ill try through the att portal. if not ill contact RIM.. if all else fails ill settle for using the browser i guess. I really appreciate the help....
    All else fails, call Verizon back and ask a supervisor to call the original person who it's locked to. If they legitimately sold it, they should have no problem telling the rep to release it. That way you don't have to supply any of the info. They already have it on file foe that person and that form of verification is much safer and credible then you providing the correct info as it validates both a valid sale and a valid release.

05-29-09 05:44 PM
    All else fails, call Verizon back and ask a supervisor to call the original person who it's locked to. If they legitimately sold it, they should have no problem telling the rep to release it. That way you don't have to supply any of the info. They already have it on file foe that person and that form of verification is much safer and credible then you providing the correct info as it validates both a valid sale and a valid release.

blues my new favorite color
    05-29-09 06:27 PM
    If the pin is locked by VZW then it will not be able to be used as more then likely its either locked for account reasons or an insurance claim has been placed on it. Making a call with an unlocked storm is easy.. email and browser isnt.. I would find the person you got it from and get a refund as your only going to have issues.
    06-13-09 10:46 PM
    So did the person that sold it to you fe a claim after selling saying it was lost or stolen so that they could get ur money ad a new phone? Wouldn't surprise me.

06-13-09 10:54 PM
    Isn't your pin and imei under options then status

06-13-09 11:03 PM
    Isn't your pin and imei under options then status

He knows his pin number. The problem is VZW locked it so he can't use it on ATT.

06-14-09 05:39 AM
    Unless Verizon locked it for account reasons, lost or stolen or money owed, then RIM can unlocked it. However RIM is difficult to reach directly.

06-14-09 06:45 AM
    The pin isn't locked by vzw for at&t or anything of the sorts its just associated with an email in use. If the user didn't delete his information he can try logging into bis with his original info and deleting all email accounts associated with the pin. If he can't log in then he has to call the provider he had the phone on and ask them to reset his bis information, this will delete all known info and allow you to set up your emails. I had to do this with two storms I sold
    06-14-09 07:03 AM
    i had a similar situation if u can set your BIS up with another Device u can then just change the device on the att BIS site to the storm i actually did this with a Winmo device and blackberry connect then just switched the device out hope that helps
    06-14-09 11:38 AM
    He knows his pin number. The problem is VZW locked it so he can't use it on ATT.

Yea, Verizon is wierd like that.....with their "Verizon exclusive" phones.
    06-14-09 12:03 PM
    You know... thats weird... too bad so sad me thinks.
    06-14-09 03:56 PM
    I can picture the following scenario.

Storm on VZW.

Storm sold to person on AT&T.

Person on AT&T couldn't get PIN released.

Person on AT&T sold it to second AT&T customer.

Second AT&T customer screwed.

06-14-09 04:29 PM
    i am in a similar situation, bought a 9930 thru craigslist and i cannot get my data working on the phone. The device is not getting registered with Tmobile and Verizon wont release the pin for me. Even called RIM and still no luck.
    12-01-11 10:39 PM
    You wont see anyone who wants to keep their jobs go and delete someones bis account without verifying that you are the owner of the account. Best thing you can do is have the original owner have their bis account deleted, otherwise it wont happen. It isnt the reps being difficult, its protecting the customer from having unauthorized changes done to their account.
    12-25-11 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD