Verizon Wireless has announced some new data-only plans that are designed to meet the needs of customers who primarily rely on messaging to communicate with others.

Now replace customers with Verizon and communicate with others to make an ***-load of money.

Far be it for me to tell you how to spend your hard-earned cash, but $35 per month for Mobile Web access and data usage, plus 40 cents per minute for each call you make is no way to live. Thats just for regular handsets, too. If youve got a device that actually uses data in a constructive way, like a BlackBerry or a PDA/Smartphone, itll cost you $54.99 per month and then 25 cents per minute for voice calls. Outrageous.

Now I know that Sprint and Verizon arent the same thing, but lets assume for a minute that the two companies use very similar technology (which they do) and Ill tell you a tale about how when I used to be a Sprint customer (last month) I paid $44.99 for unlimited data and 200 anytime minutes on a Smartphone, plus free evenings (starting at 7PM) and weekends. The voice part was $29.99 and the data part was $14.99. To be fair, I did have to pay for text messaging, which is included in Verizons thing, but I still came out at under $50 per month for fast EVDO data + voice.

CrunchGear Archive Verizon Wireless offers overpriced data-only plans
    04-14-08 06:02 PM
    didnt they just change the price to $29.99 today. but its still alittle high
    04-14-08 08:33 PM
    one of the many reasons I dont switch over to the darkside(darth vader is their spokperson /) is they are the most expensive voice and data when compared to what the other carriers offer. I know they started the "unlimited" voice price wars but really we have entered a new post IPhone era when internet browsing capaple phones is a must! of course they wouldnt dare offer truely "unlimited" data plans because then they couldnt sell their wireless modems or when we all could have best of both worlds, a phone that you could tether to a laptop and browse away!
    04-14-08 09:21 PM
    didnt they just change the price to $29.99 today. but its still alittle high

That's a different plan. That's the MS Based Smartphone plan change to probably appease all the complainers with WinMobile that barked at them when the cheaper $29.99 plan for BB came out a couple of months ago. The bad part about the new plan is that attachments are limited to 4MB on receive and send and 2MB on forward. Also, you cannot use the native email capabilities (ActiveSync) in WM to get your email from the 10 email accounts they will support. You have to install some stupid email client to do it. God I love when VZW comes out with a solution to a problem that's WORSE then the problem to begin with.

They need to just drop their prices for data packages overall and stop coming up with this antiquated BS way of doing things. I guess they need to recoup that FCC 700MHz Spectrum big money and pay for the new LTE network deployment somehow.
    04-15-08 12:17 PM
    Theoretically, one should be able to make a "free" call using the data feature/internet access via VOIP. I just read an article (too lazy to link it) where the ipod touch without the phone can be used as a phone using VOIP.
    04-15-08 01:09 PM
    Theoretically, one should be able to make a "free" call using the data feature/internet access via VOIP. I just read an article (too lazy to link it) where the ipod touch without the phone can be used as a phone using VOIP.
    Yeah, too bad no BB can utilize VOIP technology in the general sense of the term... with the exception of UMA on T-Mobile BBs w/WiFi, but even that's not true VOIP.

3rd party BB Enterprise phone connectivity via BES is excluded from this statement.
    04-15-08 05:14 PM
    I got 450. Mins talk, unlimited MMS, unlimited data plan, and the best insurance plan and I pay$ 85.00

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-08 05:27 PM
    The longer you are with Verizon the more they take care of you. I have been with them going on 5 years, which is why i paid $99 for my 8130 and unlimited data for $29. My roommate has sprint and got a pearl the day after i did, he has been with them for 10 years and paid $249.99 and has had numerous issues with his billing since, the customer service is horrible, no MMS, and they never inform you of overusage on your plan. Verizon called me and told me I was being billed for using too many SMS messages, and switched me over to a plan. No more excessive charges.Verizons customer service is outstanding. You get what you pay for. My father is an executive and is on the board of directors of Sprint,(he does not work for Sprint) they discuss how they can improve certain issues. another exec. told my father at the meeting that Verizon hands down has the best network. That was off the record of course. So, with that being said the better the service the more money you will pay...
    04-15-08 05:45 PM
    Verizon does take care of their customers pretty well and the CS is very good.
    04-15-08 10:21 PM
    Being with them for 5 years or 10 years or for that matter 2 years would have given you the same Pearl for $99, as long as you could use the New Every Two discount, the addition of a data plan to your account discount, and the usual mail in rebate discount. They didn't sell you the Pearl at $99 just because they like you. If the same deal anyone else would have gotten if they meet the criteria.
    04-15-08 11:51 PM
    I'm currently getting (on my old LG) Vcast with unlimited mobileweb and the $10 txt plan, so with an upgrade to bberry I'd love the vcast but pay like $10 more for the bberry unlimited data plan - at least thats how it was when I gave the 8830 a trial run. If they bump that plan up to $55 I might reconsider getting the Curve next month.
    04-16-08 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD