10-25-08 07:14 PM
28 12
tools
    I currently use a Curve on AT&T. My contract has been up for some time, but until now I felt locked into AT&T because I had one of those charter $99/month unlimited voice plans.

My Curve is ready to be replaced and I am very intrigued by the Storm, although I imagine I'd be perfectly happy with the Bold as well. I live in Baltimore, but travel to and from New York quite a bit. AT&T's service is adequate but not wonderful.

Verizon now has a similar $99 plan, so my real question is what Verizon's service is like in the Northeast corridor. Do any of you have experience with both carriers? How is Verizon on the Amtrak line, b/c AT&T drops lots of places?

Any input would be appreciated, since both will be releasing the new phones in the next couple of weeks.
    10-18-08 04:01 PM
    I have had Verizon service in the Northeast for 9 years + going on 10.

I have ad a few small dead spots in Valleys. I mean deep valleys.... But other then that not one problem for service....
    10-18-08 04:06 PM
    you can check coverage a maps and compare VZW to ATT @ Verizon Wireless Then do a search for coverage maps. great tool.

Also, by trying VZW you would have the 30 day test drive to try the service.
    Last edited by lastraid; 10-18-08 at 05:40 PM.
    10-18-08 05:38 PM
    live in rhode island all my life with verizon for years no problems
    10-18-08 06:06 PM
    Good site to check out also...

Cell Phone Carriers - Cell Phone Service and Tower Search
    10-18-08 06:08 PM
    Verizon coverage in the SNJ & Phila area is very good....
    10-18-08 06:38 PM
    I provide technical support for the northeast region, and that area is probably our strongest area coverage wise.
    10-18-08 06:43 PM
    From the coverage maps and discussions related to them, it seems like Verizon has far more extensive coverage with their high speed network.

Anyone have any specific experience on the DC-NY Amtrak line? AT&T is pretty spotty.
    10-18-08 06:47 PM
    my fam has att. I can hold my blackberry beside my moms att phone and watch the signal die if i hold the antenna. also the towers are equal distance apart from us. for the terrain of the northeast you cant beat a cdma signal. with all the hills and mountians that plays **** on gsm signals. there good for metro areas that are flat

ive been a vzw cust since 1999 and i will not go to any other company. vzw is the best hands down. the service is the best and the signal is the best. i get landline quality calls on my blackberry when my mom is fading in and out and sounding like she is speaking chineese on her att phone.
    10-18-08 06:52 PM
    VZW hands down some of the best service. Im from Long Island NY and I have incredible verizon reception almost everywhere I go
    10-18-08 06:59 PM
    I have both AT&T and Verizon and the Verizon is much better all the way around.
    10-18-08 07:12 PM
    im in New Jersey and ive rarely to practically never come across no reception unless im in the basement of a house or something that verizon can't really have control over. Moreso, i do have a cell tower right near my house
    10-18-08 07:25 PM
    you can check coverage a maps and compare VZW to ATT @ Verizon Wireless Then do a search for coverage maps. great tool.

Also, by trying VZW you would have the 30 day test drive to try the service.
    While these maps are a great tool for general coverage, they really don't give a good overall picture of coverage in areas, since coverage depends on what kind of building you're in, your elevation, etc. Best way to figure it out is to do the test drive.
    10-18-08 09:27 PM
    While these maps are a great tool for general coverage, they really don't give a good overall picture of coverage in areas, since coverage depends on what kind of building you're in, your elevation, etc. Best way to figure it out is to do the test drive.
    Agreed, but the OP would have one heck of a drive. The maps do give a general idea. I know that some of the examples that you gave also effect coverge. Just as tunnels might do along the OP's train travels. There is no carrier that I know of that will will garrantee their signal in a building.

I know of several calls that I have gotten from people in NY that get upset that in certain areas of the Subway, that their phones do not work. Not much I can do about it.

I also know there are areas that show excellent coverage, but have dead areas in them. This is why in most cases we request out wetwork grou0p to go out and test the area. If this type of area is noted, then it mapped at network so other requests coming in will get a quick response.

Towers are fun to try and build. Everyone wants better coverage, but do not put the tower near me. Also getting city and other permits is a very long process.
    10-18-08 09:44 PM
    Well, this has been really helpful. Real life may change my mind, but for many reasons the Storm looks like exactly what I've been hoping for in a phone. I bought and returned the iPhone because the keyboard didn't rotate for email and I simply couldn't type on the vertical keyboard.

I've been unhappy with the call quality and spotty coverage from AT&T for a long time but sort of figured that is the best it was going to get. Your posts give me hope that not only will I be able to get a device that really excites me but the coverage and call quality will be a step up.

That's great news.
    10-18-08 09:59 PM
    I had At&T for 9 years and I was happy. Now I've been with Verizon for two months and I'm happier. I live in the DC metro area and the coverage with Verizon is excellent. I also have service in the tunnels when I'm on the Metro. IMO and experience both companies are good, but Verizon has a little bit more coverage.
    10-18-08 10:37 PM
    I live in CT and have both at&t and verizon phones. I've had verizon for 9 years and get service everywhere. I recently got my at&t phone in May and I had service with it everywhere in CT too. So I think both companies are really good in the Northeast. I've had service when I was in PA, MA, NY, and NJ. I go to school in North Carolina and I have to say that my verizon phone is a lot better down here. With my at&t berry I drop calls a lot in certain areas and don't have service in others. So I guess what I'm saying after this long thing is verizon is much more reliable everywhere.
    10-18-08 11:14 PM
    Ive had verizon in nj for the past 6 years and always have fulls bars. Wouldnt trade it for anything.
    10-19-08 08:56 PM
    I currently use a Curve on AT&T. My contract has been up for some time, but until now I felt locked into AT&T because I had one of those charter $99/month unlimited voice plans.

My Curve is ready to be replaced and I am very intrigued by the Storm, although I imagine I'd be perfectly happy with the Bold as well. I live in Baltimore, but travel to and from New York quite a bit. AT&T's service is adequate but not wonderful.

Verizon now has a similar $99 plan, so my real question is what Verizon's service is like in the Northeast corridor. Do any of you have experience with both carriers? How is Verizon on the Amtrak line, b/c AT&T drops lots of places?

Any input would be appreciated, since both will be releasing the new phones in the next couple of weeks.
    I have Verizon and happy with its service. I'm hardly come across no signal situation. You can look into the signal coverage map of Verizon service. You can check it with Verizon website or You will find it in Billshrink.com.
    10-19-08 11:21 PM
    I have been with Verizon for over 10 years used it from Maine to Fla and have been very pleased. vzw is also listed as the best digital service in the Mid Atlantic and many other cities by consumer reports for many years.
    10-20-08 07:48 AM
    I'm in Southwest CT and my girlfriend has ATT and I have Verizon. Verizon is 100% better in our area.
    10-20-08 09:58 AM
    I have had verizon for 6 years and live in nj and it works wonderfully. I had at&t prior and had nothing but problems. The only place I lose service is in the delaware valley.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-08 12:45 PM
    I get excellent reception with VZW in NE. My only warning is to make sure VZW gives you a new phone. Watch them open the box and etc. Mine looked new and was sold as new but I had tons of trouble getting my Curve operational. VZW help desk folks told me it appeared the phone had been placed out for use before I had it. We still can not get BB messenger installed at the VZW locations in my area or by the help line people.
    10-20-08 04:11 PM
    I have had verizon for 7 years - though I just got a BB. I live in Northern New England and have been traveling to PA for years. I have never had a sustained problem. I always find small dead spots here and there but nothing major.
    10-20-08 09:13 PM
    i can't speak for anywhere except for NYC. Service is great but I have no other service to compare to really. My friend has a bad time with sprint in my house as I do not. Other than that, verizon has been great! CS very good but as will anything, its a hit or miss as well. Although I would say its definitely for the positive
    10-21-08 09:52 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD