05-08-09 10:26 PM
158 ... 4567
tools
    i went to my local vzw store and was tinkering around with the hub and downloaded i heart radio to it and it has its own form of radio ...
    04-19-09 10:29 PM
    How did you install I heart radio on the HUB. There was a radio pushed to the device, but this i have to know.
    04-19-09 10:31 PM
    Doesn't the hub have VZ App Zone on it? I don't support it over here, but I thought I had heard about that.
    04-19-09 10:40 PM
    Not that I am aware of and I do. All updates at this time are pushed to the device. Then again communication of new stuff is not always forthcoming at times.
    04-19-09 10:46 PM
    right? I still haven't heard anything about any new Berries :P
    04-19-09 11:06 PM
    How did you install I heart radio on the HUB. There was a radio pushed to the device, but this i have to know.
    On my hub iheart radio is there. I just went where Vcast was and right next to it is iheart. No need to install anything.
    I am wondering though and I am sure after I thouroughly go through my manual if u can connect a stereo speaker to it.
    04-20-09 09:45 AM
    Cool - enjoy it is pretty nice. Glas it went easy for you. From my calls I get some are nightmares
    This is my experience with the installation.
    I got my hub I believe thurs. I
    pulled it out of the box pluggged it up
    menu driven setup. U could let a two year
    old do it.

I did have a problem but I am sure it was with the signal
    of my wireless router. The signal was not strong enough.
    But I went to the VZW store and asked the mgr about
    a signal extender for my router. He said just bring the unit in
    and get another to rule out all possibilities; cool.

So the upshot I changed out the hub; got a new wireless
    from the cable compay and it came right on line.
    U do have to have good signal strenght from your wireless
    router to connect it that way.

The issues I had with the hub before I swapped out everything;
    I had a clicking sound no dial tone. After all that I now have dial tone.

Hope that helps.....
    But again my out of the box experience was easy.
    Better yet my 90yr old dad could do it if he had to.
    Now how bout that.....
    04-20-09 09:55 AM
    One of the fun things about the hub.
    I wanted to do a call in order from
    a restuarant. So knowing the name of the establishment. I was able to enter the name of the rest. and it pulled the number right up.
    Nice.................
    Texting is cool to u can only text VZW customers but that is ok I would only need to text my son any way. Will be getting chaperone going soon.
    Oh and it is nice how you can send directions from hub vz nav right to your phone. It is nice; now time to see how I can save money on my cell bill
    04-20-09 10:01 AM
    We had the hub for a few weeks but had problems with it dropping in and out with our wireless network. Has anyone else had this problem? Other than that, it was pretty slick.
    04-21-09 03:26 PM
    I had the hub and returned it. Very cool concept but did not work nearly as cool for us. We absolutely could not carry on a conversation while anyone was on the internet... whether actively using it or not. The calendar was the other main feature I wanted it for. This did not work for us either for several reasons. First of all, there was no way to sync with bb or outlook. So everything you've already put in your calendar you have to redo. Secondly, there is no option to schedule "recurring events" so if my son has hockey every Sunday at 3 for the next 8 sundays I had to put it in 8 times. Lastly, after going through ALL of that all that would pop up on my hub was "new event" with no detail of what the event was so now I had 25 "new events". Great. Thanks.

Last piece of advice... DO YOUR RESEARCH!!! I was advised incorrectly by a verizon rep that I did not need a landline to keep my dsl. DO NOT port your number unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure you want to keep this device. I had requested my number be ported but then cancelled the request before it actually took place. However, verizon didn't do their part in cancelling so I have had over a week without my landline, over a week and a half with no dsl, and have spent countless hours on the phone trying to correct their mistake. Again... do your research and don't rely on what they tell you necessarily. I'm sure some know what they're talking about but obviously some don't.
    04-21-09 04:27 PM
    I won't dispute your calendar issues, as I am not an expert on the calendar function of the device. I would like to add my two-cents worth regarding the rest of it - none disputing what you said, though.

1) DSL is not always a suitable connection for a VoIP device. Some DSL service lines are still very limited bandwidth - as low as 64K up & 128K down - not enough for VoIP to coexist with Internet usage. Even if your service claims a higher rate, remember that unless you have dedicated service, both synchronous & asynchronous DSL service is listed in the fine print as UP TO the advertised speed. The further you are from the CO (Central Office), the lower your speed will be. Repeaters can increase your distance, but with some signal loss. Bottom line: avoid VoIP if your connection rate is too low.

2) Local Number Portability (LNP) is still a flawed process. Even if orders from both telco providers is cancelled, often the port cannot be stopped & the process will complete. Until the process of assigning exchanges & numbers to a CO switch is ended, true LNP will not exist & the workarounds will be problematic.

3) Some DSL providers will offer service without a servicing POTS line - many will not. Never listen to Company A telling you what Company B can or cannot do. Check first with Company B - even if it is the same company. In other words, don't take AT&T local service's word on what AT&T wireless can and cannot do. The same goes for VZW reps telling you what Verizon local can or cannot do. It makes double sense to check what Sprint tells you with regards to Qwest local service.

Bottom line - do your homework on all affected services.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 05:01 PM
    Agreed, I will not even start a port if the number being ported is attached to DSL, with out the customer checking with other company to make sure that the net will be stopped.

Also do you homework about home seucurity systems. THey will not work with the HUB. Now, security system companies have a fix that will run you $200 to $300 bucks.
    04-21-09 06:22 PM
    Also do you homework about home seucurity systems. THey will not work with the HUB. Now, security system companies have a fix that will run you $200 to $300 bucks.
    This is a deficiency in the design of the Hub itself. If it only included an analog telco jack on it... Of course, doing this would also allow you to bypass buying the expensive additional habdsetsm

The vast majority of VoIP complaints would be eliminated if people simply knew what their throughput actually was. While I know it will work with lower speeds, I am leary of any actual Internet connection slower than 512kbps-1Mbps up AND down, especially if you have a heavy computer data load on the connection. Considering that some broadband providers may even throttle back VoIP connection speeds, even these speeds might even cause some occasional problems.

Sometimes router configuration options may help out - but if you don't know the difference between acks, packets & MTU, I'd not advise changing your settings without close adult supervision.

04-21-09 06:51 PM
    We are seeing the about 90% of issues with the hub are router issues. Mainly SIP ALG or firewall settings. Also making sure the firmware in the router being current will help as well. Comcast is another story
    04-21-09 07:36 PM
    We won't even broach the subject of Comcast - that's a whole other horror story.

04-21-09 07:50 PM
    I am not sure what to read in the last several replies, but having been a comcast customer for a long time I am not surprised by the comments. They can be a nightmare.

But on topic, has anyone had success getting the Verizon Hub to work with Comcast? Any "lessons learned" anyone is willing to share?

I have a gamer running X-Box Live, and am a bit concerned about that also.
    04-23-09 05:34 PM
    It will work with comcast- just sometimes it takes a bit more work than other ISP's
    04-23-09 06:01 PM
    It will work with comcast- just sometimes it takes a bit more work than other ISP's
    Maybe in most areas but not consistently in all Comcast areas. Comcast doesn't like their pipes being used to compete with their phone service. You could get it working today and it won't work tomorrow. There have been a number if incidents where Comcast seems to have been a problem. Last year the buzz was for World or Warcraft and Everquest players not able to play games on their Comcast service. Before that it was AT&T and Vonage and Verizon voip service. Now it is Verizon service with the hub.

04-23-09 07:27 PM
    True very true comcast is a pain. Rumor around the shop a bot ago is that is messing with a very high ranking vzw type person. I heard the vzw lawyers are looking into it

04-23-09 07:36 PM
    Comcast is so bad that if it were the only option in my area, I'd move!

04-23-09 08:01 PM
    True very true comcast is a pain. Rumor around the shop a bot ago is that is messing with a very high ranking vzw type person. I heard the vzw lawyers are looking into it

You really and truly don't want to hear the horror stories I hear about Comcast in Tucson. Of course, they are servicing out of Albuquerque - maybe that's the problem.

04-23-09 08:02 PM
    Thats why I have cableone, but then again, they are not much better
    04-23-09 08:47 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking I might find a week when I don't have much going on and give the hub a try

My experience with Comcast is that it might take that long to get it going.
    04-24-09 11:42 AM
    Just to let u know this last Saturday I returned my hub. Reason being is that it cannot act as a parent phone when it comes to chaperone. That is the main reason that I got it. U already have to have a cell phone that is a chaperone parent then u can use the feature on the hub, Just letting ya'll know. I did really like it though. Will at some point down the road get it again.
    04-27-09 11:17 AM
    Where did you get this information?

I would like to follow up and get this hold of this info myself. As far as I know at this time you would need to sign the child phone up with the site and purchase the feature for their phone.

Chaperone
    How much does Chaperone cost to use on my Verizon Hub?
    Access to Chaperone service via your Verizon Hub is free of charge, much like using the Chaperone website or Chaperone Parent mobile service. However, a monthly subscription is required to use Chaperone on your Verizon Wireless cell phone.

To get Chaperone service added to your account, visit a Verizon Wireless store or call (800) 2-JOIN-IN (256-4646).

How does Chaperone work on my Verizon Hub? Similar to the Chaperone website experience, you can log in, view your Chaperone Child devices, and locate them. When located, the Chaperone Child device location information will display on a map on your Verizon Hub screen.
    04-27-09 06:40 PM
158 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD