05-08-09 09:26 PM
158 ... 34567
tools
    I have a quick question that I am hoping someone can answer. With VOIP you should be able to use any internet connection and your phone will ring. Meaning, if I took my phone to Suzie's house and used her internet connection my home number would ring at her house. I want to know if this is the case with the Hub. Also I know with Vonage I have a friend who moved overseas and was able to keep Vonage and I can call her local number to talk to her (avoiding international calling fees). Can the Hub do this as well?
    04-02-09 03:17 PM
    how much are the extra handsets just out of curiosity ?
    04-02-09 03:22 PM
    how much are the extra handsets just out of curiosity ?
    79.99 on the website
    04-02-09 03:33 PM
    I have a quick question that I am hoping someone can answer. With VOIP you should be able to use any internet connection and your phone will ring. Meaning, if I took my phone to Suzie's house and used her internet connection my home number would ring at her house. I want to know if this is the case with the Hub. Also I know with Vonage I have a friend who moved overseas and was able to keep Vonage and I can call her local number to talk to her (avoiding international calling fees). Can the Hub do this as well?
    Yes you can - but you do have the GPS functionality that will keep it from operating in an area VZW doesn't have a license to provide service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 04:03 PM
    Yes you can - but you do have the GPS functionality that will keep it from operating in an area VZW doesn't have a license to provide service.

So taking it to Japan isn't an option? Oh well I was hoping for an option other than Vonage.
    04-02-09 04:35 PM
    So taking it to Japan isn't an option? Oh well I was hoping for an option other than Vonage.
    My apologies - I believe the Hub will work anywhere. For some reason I thought the discussion was on the Network Extender, which is the VoIP device with GPS and limited areas. .

Remember that the Verizon Hub is a large device - it isn't a small pocketable device like the VoIP interfaces Vonage is known to use.

04-02-09 04:51 PM
    In order to own a VZW hub, it can only be purchased and used in an area that is E911 capable. Now what is the stop gap for this? this is done on at network level and I am not privi to this info. This what we are infomred and what we check for. If iy works in areas not covered by E911, then awesome
    04-02-09 05:58 PM
    In order to own a VZW hub, it can only be purchased and used in an area that is E911 capable. Now what is the stop gap for this? this is done on at network level and I am not privi to this info. This what we are infomred and what we check for. If iy works in areas not covered by E911, then awesome
    I believe it will work elsewhere and I'll tell you why I think you have the information you have.

All non-traditional telecom end-user devices sold in the US are required to have E911 functionality. Some devices have this in the device, while others may place it in the network. Vonage gets around this because they mostly offer an interface to a computer and not the end-user device. Vonage also markets globally.

Verizon, on the other hand, has FCC approval for North America on the Verzon Hub. To reduce litigation possibilities and support calls, they will only support it when used within E911 areas.

So, unless they have network programming which prevents the Hub from connecting to their network from non-North American servers, it should work.

Just don't plan on all the features working or getting any help with problems in Lower Elbonia.

04-02-09 08:38 PM
    I believe it will work elsewhere and I'll tell you why I think you have the information you have.

All non-traditional telecom end-user devices sold in the US are required to have E911 functionality. Some devices have this in the device, while others may place it in the network. Vonage gets around this because they mostly offer an interface to a computer and not the end-user device. Vonage also markets globally.

Verizon, on the other hand, has FCC approval for North America on the Verzon Hub. To reduce litigation possibilities and support calls, they will only support it when used within E911 areas.

So, unless they have network programming which prevents the Hub from connecting to their network from non-North American servers, it should work.

Just don't plan on all the features working or getting any help with problems in Lower Elbonia.

That actually makes good sence. If memory serves me well ( and these days well ) in training we were told it would work, but you would have local emerg services and tell them info so the they can find you in an emerg. Then they did change it to E911 only sales.

Thanks for the info.
    04-02-09 08:46 PM
    It does make sense - with the wording as it sits now, Verizon can simply tell you that it isn't working because you're not in the right area. They have chosen to not offer the device elsewhere, so why suffer the headaches caused by people all over the world buying & using it?

Besides, E911 & cellphone GPS exist only to reduce your privacy anyway. It always kills me when I see the same dolt parading CPNI opt-out info in one thread, while crying that their phone doesn't have full GPS capability. Oh, and they got their info from Google.

04-02-09 08:57 PM
    My apologies - I believe the Hub will work anywhere. For some reason I thought the discussion was on the Network Extender, which is the VoIP device with GPS and limited areas. .

Remember that the Verizon Hub is a large device - it isn't a small pocketable device like the VoIP interfaces Vonage is known to use.

Haha I am moving to Japan so its ok that it won't fit in my pocket. Just looking for a cheaper way for my family to call me and vice versa. I know Vonage is smaller but I like that the Hub is wireless and I can get more then one phone for the house. Plus I tried Vonage and they have horrible customer service- I am glad Verizon is getting in the VoIP business.
    04-02-09 09:09 PM
    Haha I am moving to Japan so its ok that it won't fit in my pocket. Just looking for a cheaper way for my family to call me and vice versa. I know Vonage is smaller but I like that the Hub is wireless and I can get more then one phone for the house. Plus I tried Vonage and they have horrible customer service- I am glad Verizon is getting in the VoIP business.
    Verizon, AT&T & TimeWarner have been in the VoIP business for years. Its just now that Verizon introduced this device.
    04-02-09 10:15 PM
    While radio is on the HUB already, here are some other features that are coming.

Horoscopes, puzzles, Sudoku and streaming radio all in one place? It’s true! Soon, all of these features will be available on the Verizon Hub.
    04-03-09 09:02 AM
    Yep some other nice ideas.

Although with simultanious ring and addition of handsets not sure B/T is really needed. Remember this is designed as a home phone- not a cell phone.

Also keep in mind that the hub unit is in its intfancy stage and will grow.
    If u are gonna have radio; u need bluetooth; for the bt stereo speakers.
    We know u are a big wig LR....
    So get er done.................
    04-03-09 10:47 AM
    I second that. I have BT on my computers. Why not a Hub?

Come on, Mr. Bigwig. Where is the BT? And where is the network extender capabilities? And, while we're at it, a 60inch 120MHz display with BlueRay would be nice, too.

Oh, and cut the price while you're at it.

04-03-09 10:56 AM
    LMAO all I want is bt since it has streaming radio. Yes I happen to be an audiophile. Ok can u at least jack some
    nice stereo speakers in it.
    Ah ha........
    04-03-09 11:06 AM
    Big wig (HAHAHAHAHA). I am just pee on or is that peaon, or even peon, none of the above? I wish I had that power
    04-03-09 11:08 AM
    I second that. I have BT on my computers. Why not a Hub?

Come on, Mr. Bigwig. Where is the BT? And where is the network extender capabilities? And, while we're at it, a 60inch 120MHz display with BlueRay would be nice, too.

Oh, and cut the price while you're at it.

BT= BITE THIS!
    04-03-09 11:09 AM
    Wow LR u arent even a peon. Wow that means I am way higher than u are. I just got a big promotion to everyones
    B_!_A_T_[_H......... where I work
    04-03-09 11:17 AM
    Sorry off topic a bit here, but trying to answer dads question,

Hope this helps

Net Ext

Specifications
    Manufacturer: Samsung
    Model: Verizon Wireless Network Extender
    Frequency: 1.9 GHz and 800 MHz
    Air Interface: CDMA2000 1x
    Dimensions and Weight: 7.8 x 5.8 x 2.1 in. (excludes antenna) / 1.0 lb
    Signal strength: Up to a 5,000 square foot area
    04-03-09 11:23 AM
    Wow LR u arent even a peon. Wow that means I am way higher than u are. I just got a big promotion to everyones
    B_!_A_T_[_H......... where I work
    Um congtrats
    04-03-09 11:25 AM
    Sorry off topic a bit here, but trying to answer dads question,

Hope this helps

Net Ext

Specifications
    Manufacturer: Samsung
    Model: Verizon Wireless Network Extender
    Frequency: 1.9 GHz and 800 MHz
    Air Interface: CDMA2000 1x
    Dimensions and Weight: 7.8 x 5.8 x 2.1 in. (excludes antenna) / 1.0 lb
    Signal strength: Up to a 5,000 square foot area
    I had no question. I do have a comment, though.

Can I get a Made in America unit while we still have an America?

04-03-09 11:29 AM
    I had no question. I do have a comment, though.

Can I get a Made in America unit while we still have an America?

Ah no. unless AIG buys Samsung with out tax dollars
    04-03-09 11:36 AM
    Hey got the hub and I'm lovin it.....
    Installation is easy a five year old could do it
    04-19-09 02:12 PM
    Cool - enjoy it is pretty nice. Glas it went easy for you. From my calls I get some are nightmares
    04-19-09 05:11 PM
158 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD