05-08-09 09:26 PM
158 123 ...
tools
    Just saw this marketed on the VZW webpage. Maybe one of the reps can shed some more light on it. Looks like it is marketed as a home phone through VZW. Features include: pic/flic/video messaging and VVM. Wonder if you can add this onto a family plan for $9.99? States on the website that the service is $34.99/mo. I'm unsure if the features are in addition to that. Anybody using this yet?
    03-01-09 01:35 PM
    I have heard good feeback form the user I help every day. No you cannot add it for 9.99 though. All fearures are included and they just pushed out 13 radio stations.

You will need a DSL/cable/Fios connection with a with router in your home.

If you plan to port your number, make sure the store or VZW tech check to see that is portable
    03-01-09 01:41 PM
    So this is like a VOIP device? I was under the impression it just used VZW cell service. That would make it much more reliable for customers in low service areas. If I am eligable for an upgrade on one of my wireless lines, can I get any more money off the &199 cost?
    03-01-09 01:48 PM
    It is not like VOIP, it is VOIP Unforntunatly no, the price for the device is just that. It does not tie into wireless service at all. This is a whole serivce, but will be added to your account as a line of service.

I think you are thinking of the Network Extender, this is the other device that imporive servicfe in a home with not so good coverage.
    03-01-09 01:51 PM
    Thanks for the info. Do VZW stores have demo units out yet? If so I'm gonna have to go check this out.

One more question: does this device have bluetooth technology to receive calls from your cell? I've seen some home phones which can do this?
    03-01-09 01:57 PM
    Most store should have demo units. I would call them first and ask to save a trip. There is no B/T function at this time. You can activate no answer call fwd from your cell phone to the hub number and the hub will ring.

Also make sure you are located in an E911 area, if not this will not work for you. Non-e911 areas are mostly more rural areas
    03-01-09 02:02 PM
    OK I lied, one more question: are there extra handsets available? So as to have 1 or 2 extra positioned around the house. Having just 1 unit is sometimes a pain in the ****, when on the other side of the house.
    03-01-09 02:20 PM
    Yes, you can add up to 3 more handsets
    03-01-09 02:21 PM
    Nice. Thanks for all the info.
    03-01-09 02:23 PM
    No problem, if you get it let me know
    03-01-09 02:29 PM
    i have it, its cool
    03-01-09 07:00 PM
    i have it, its cool
    Any further input? No offense, but that's not all that helpful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 07:13 PM
    Well Ryan,

What are needs for this device? what is drawing to it.

Also let me give you some history of my knowledge of this device. There are only about 75 Tech Reps in the entrire VZW company right now that are trained in the HUB. I am one of them.
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-01-09 at 07:28 PM.
    03-01-09 07:22 PM
    If it was an added line on a family share, and drew from the pool of minutes on your plan, I would get it in a heart beat. Being VOIP, the F&F plan has let me get rid of my home phone.

03-01-09 07:58 PM
    I hear ya, but this service is a stand alone. not available on family share
    03-01-09 08:10 PM
    Yeah but u get unlimited minutes
    03-01-09 09:28 PM
    i have it, its cool
    I have unlimited minutes; why do u like it besides it being a new toy....
    Is it a need; I actually have two lines with unlimited minutes for
    me and my son. The one plus I can see once u buy the equipment
    it is cheaper or comprable to other home calling plans. Has chaperphone;
    plus the other features traffic etc. movie times can be accessed from
    your pc. So what pluses do u see besides it being a nice new shiney toy.
    I do want it; just trying to use some self control
    03-01-09 09:32 PM
    I'm looking at it for a home phone. I currently do not have one and dislike giving out my cell number for everything. I'm considering it but have to compar the price to a standard phone company. One downside so far: is no Bluetooth. I have seen home phones with this and is convenient so as not to have to carry your cell around the house. Another thing is that you cannot add it as an additional line to a family plan (I understand the reasoning, was just looking for any cost saving possible).

This does seem like a nice alternative, just trying to understand everything about it before I make my decision. The website is very helpful, but didn't answer all my questions. Just trying to be an informed consumer.

03-01-09 09:50 PM
    Good deal. I wish more folks would do the research befoew jumping into things. The device does have simultanious ring. This means you can program in up to three numbers. When the hub rings then the other numbers do as well. The first person to answer the call gets it. This really does not relieve you from carrying your cell phone with you, but a neat feature. Would not burn minutes as it would be considered in calling
    Last edited by lastraid; 03-02-09 at 05:03 PM.
    03-01-09 09:57 PM
    3 new numbers, or I could program my cell number? So the hub and my cell would ring?

I hate to be such a bother. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks so much lastraid. VZW CS has always been tops for me.

03-01-09 10:04 PM
    Here's a question no one has asked - how would this compare to something like Vonage? Looking at their site, the cost difference isn't favorable to Verizon.

Bear in mind I am not a Vonage fan - in fact, I am not even a VoIP fan... but someone might be interested.

03-02-09 11:58 AM
    In comparison to vonage, the Hub does a lot more. From what I know, you can send/recieve texts from the Hub, It's considered IN calling so you're not using your minutes from your cell plan, you can get weather reports, traffic reports, etc from it, you can stream radio stations onto it, etc.

I think the ability to text my home phone would make it worth it. I'm considering it as a home phone option when I move.
    03-02-09 12:21 PM
    I was looking at getting a hub for one of my cell numbers that I use as a home phone, but unfortunately you can not put an existing cell number onto the hub, so I still have the two cells, would get it in a heartbeat if I could keep my same Verizon number
    03-02-09 01:30 PM
    Here's a question no one has asked - how would this compare to something like Vonage? Looking at their site, the cost difference isn't favorable to Verizon.

Bear in mind I am not a Vonage fan - in fact, I am not even a VoIP fan... but someone might be interested.

Vonage just plains sucks. I had them for a couple months, until it caused my computer modem to be reset daily and the call volume sucks as well. Dumped them in a heartbeat.

Can you had the hub if you already have 5 lines on your plan?
    03-02-09 01:58 PM
    3 new numbers, or I could program my cell number? So the hub and my cell would ring?

I hate to be such a bother. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks so much lastraid. VZW CS has always been tops for me.

You can plug in your cell and two other numbers as well.
    03-02-09 05:04 PM
158 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD