I'm interested in getting the Storm 2 and like the idea of verizon's BOGO promotion. The problem is that I live in Canada (right on the Detroit, Michigan border). A friend told me that I would be able to get the phone from Verizon sign a 2 year plan with them and use it over here. He mentioned that their network stretches over the border. I was wondering what kind of problems I might run into if I were to go along with this plan (extra roaming fees for both data and phone?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    10-28-09 09:49 PM
    If you're in Canada, unless you get the North American plan (do they still offer it?) you will get hit with a lot of roaming fees. I know they have international plans as well but you'll end up spending more than you need to. It'd probably be cheaper in the long wrong to buy the phone full retail or from a third-party like eBay and get it unlocked to use on Rogers or something.
    10-29-09 05:54 AM
    I believe you would also need a Detroit mailing address & nothing indicating otherwise on your credit report as VZW doesn't offer service in Canada.
    10-29-09 08:50 AM
    Thanks for the info guys, guess i'll just have to wait till it comes to Telus!
    10-30-09 01:35 PM
    I'm interested in getting the Storm 2 and like the idea of verizon's BOGO promotion. The problem is that I live in Canada (right on the Detroit, Michigan border). A friend told me that I would be able to get the phone from Verizon sign a 2 year plan with them and use it over here. He mentioned that their network stretches over the border. I was wondering what kind of problems I might run into if I were to go along with this plan (extra roaming fees for both data and phone?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Related question -- if you go to vzw.com and use the coverage maps and you scroll up to Canada, you'll notice parts of it are in Blue for VZW Broadband ... and then there are other parts in Orange for Canadian Broadband. Does this mean that data use in the areas that are blue will not lead to overage charges?
    10-30-09 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD