Hey everyone, i know there are a few threads out there but none that really answer my question, looking at the new 7.1 for verizon bb bold 9930 i havent found a way to make calls over wifi yet it is listed on blackberry.com as one of the available features of the new os. So basically im asking, can or can't you do it, and or if its not available will it be for the verizon 9930?
    01-11-12 08:28 PM
    Wifi calling or UMA, must be supported by the carrier (Not sure, but I'm sure it says that somewhere) and Verizon doesn't support it. 99% chance they never will either...
    01-11-12 09:09 PM
    Will the 9930 work, if unlocked, on the T-Mobile UMA though? Can anyone confirm? TIA.
    01-16-12 08:40 AM
    WiFi calling needs to be supported by carriers and as i know only GSM carriers around the world support it. T mobile in USA and Rogers in Canada. you will most probably need T mobiles OS on the device to use WiFi calling, as T mobile does not have OS for 9930. hence i think its not possible for 9930 to support WiFi calling, as no GSM carrier will ever have OS compatible for 9930. In 9900/9930 WiFi calling is software based which is different from previous BBs chip based scenario.
    01-16-12 10:42 AM
    Yea, I can never use another blackberry without true Uma. The software wife calling drops calls.when you leave wifi coverage which makes it nearly useless.for me, and a pain to manage. It's basically what they have on their Android phones.

UMA was a true killer feature, IMO.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 12:14 PM
    Well, I can confirm that, at least out of the box, my UMA or WiFi Calling doesn't work on the 9930. No surprise there. I am sure the phone is capable of at least WiFi calling on OS 7.1 (I forced an upgrade using BBSAK) but I have no idea how to go about enabling it.
    02-04-12 01:23 PM
    Has anyone tried a 3rd party calling provider to go over WiFi? This is especially useful when traveling overseas or in areas where you may occur roaming fees.

Side question: Does 7.1 add SIP support as well, similar to android where you can simply input SIP provider information and make a call over that, with no need to install any 3rd party app. Because SIP would be, unlike UMA, be independent from carrier. (Unless verizon is limiting/blocking certain apps on the phone) Do they even enable hot spot feature?
    02-22-12 04:59 PM
    I suppose Skype Mobile would be the closest thing to WiFi calling that VZW has. It allows u tomake skype calls using data from BB to Skype PC users. If you try usingitto call numers in the USA then it will know ad use your plan minutes. Skype app for iPhone and Android does allow VOIP calling. I assume WiFi calling would basically be VOIP callingright?
    04-02-12 01:05 AM
    Um...Skype on the Verizon BlackBerry does not work over WiFi and only works over the Verizon network, so I would say "No. It's not WiFi calling at all."
    monakh likes this.
    04-02-12 06:55 AM
    I suppose Skype Mobile would be the closest thing to WiFi calling that VZW has. It allows u tomake skype calls using data from BB to Skype PC users. If you try usingitto call numers in the USA then it will know ad use your plan minutes. Skype app for iPhone and Android does allow VOIP calling. I assume WiFi calling would basically be VOIP callingright?

Subsequently, this is actually incorrect. You CAN call US phone numbers (or internationally, for that matter) from Skype Mobile. You just have to add the phone number as a contact in the app. You cannot call unsaved numbers, as that will use Verizon's network, but if you're calling an added contact in Skype Mobile (takes 30 seconds), it will use your 3/4G network and Skype credits.
    04-18-12 05:37 PM
    I am curious since I have a Tmo 9900 that has wi-fi/UMA enabled, if I were to use that phone with AT&T would the wi-fi/UMA still work? I dont really want to switch but our company has announced that as employees we can get a huge discount on service through AT&T.
    06-03-12 06:57 AM
    I am curious since I have a Tmo 9900 that has wi-fi/UMA enabled, if I were to use that phone with AT&T would the wi-fi/UMA still work? I dont really want to switch but our company has announced that as employees we can get a huge discount on service through AT&T.
    ATT doesn't support UMA/Wifi calling, so no, it won't work.
    06-04-12 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD