07-15-09 02:41 AM
32 12
tools

First you say it is a leaked rumor, but you treat it as gospel truth. Step back & look at that for a moment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No, I'm not treating it as gospel truth, If I did I would be flaming you for this convo

Anything that comes from fansites I take with a grain of salt but they are right sometimes. Why I am even kinda believing this rumor or whatever you want to call it is confirmation from a couple of people that have been correct with their info in the past but I realize that there's always a first time to be wrong.

I really don't care that much if they get wifi or not. I would like to see them get it because I like options on my stuff but its not a deal breaker.

Ok, I'm going to bed before my wife finds me huddled over this keyboard mumbling in my sleep about wifi and before you tear my posts apart even farther.
    07-15-09 01:23 AM
    I didn't intend to tear your posts apart. I just get a bit cynical when the rumors hit the Internet prefaced by "BGR has uncovered,,,"

As for the numbering plan, that was my understanding, but going against their own historical practices is something RIM is becoming known for - more often in a not-so-flattering light.

Go to bed - wife is more important than here.

07-15-09 01:29 AM
    I thought rim's internal numbering map showed XX40 as the eventual cdma numbering for wifi and XX50 was specialty like push to talk.. As in 8350i, with the i being for iden and the 50 was for ptt.

If true, then your rumored 9550 is less than a rumor. It is bs.

Well crud, I was leaving then Dogs posted

I got the numbering thing from here:

Here is a quick run down on how the device numbering works. Obviously with new models/new capabilities coming, this will have to be updated. "When there is a conflict in descriptions, the first two numbers' description trumps the last two. For instance the 8820, No camera trumps video recording.

81xx - Suretype, Non Flip, Camera
    82xx - Suretype, Flip, Camera
    83xx - QWERTY, Non Flip, Camera
    85xx - QWERTY, Non Flip, Camera, Expanded Internal Memory
    88xx - QWERTY, Non Flip, No Camera, GPS, GSM
    89xx - QWERTY, Non Flip, Camera, High Res Screen, Expanded Internal Memory
    90xx - QWERTY, Non Flip, GPS, Camera, High Res Screen, Expanded Internal Memory, 3G, WiFi
    95xx - Touch Screen, Non Flip, GPS, Camera, High Res Screen, Expanded Internal Memory, Video Recording, GSM, 3G
    96xx - QWERTY, Non Flip, Camera, High Res Screen, Expanded Internal Memory, GSM, 3G

And now the last 2 digits
    xx00 - Base Model, No modifications
    xx10 - GPS, GSM, Video recording
    xx20 - WiFi, GSM, Video Recording
    xx30 - CDMA, EVDO, Video Recording, GPS
    xx50 - CDMA, EVDO, Video Recording, WiFi, GPS

So For Example:
    9630 - QWERTY, Non Flip, Camera, High Res Screen, Expanded Internal Memory and CDMA, EVDO, Video Recording

9500 - Touch Screen, Non Flip, Camera, High Res Screen, Expanded Internal Memory Video Recording and Base Model, No modifications

Also, RIM is beginning to offer devices of the same model number that are sans Camera. The camera module has just been removed and the backplate has been altered slightly. The device is still the same. That is it for now. As more come out I will update this. (or a mod will if so inclined)
    This guy has a good track record with his info
    07-15-09 01:33 AM
    I didn't intend to tear your posts apart. I just get a bit cynical when the rumors hit the Internet prefaced by "BGR has uncovered,,,"
    I know, I agree that BGR has been wrong about many things, especially lately with the Storm 2 release
    07-15-09 01:39 AM
    If internet rumors were always true, I'd have an Omnia 2 by now.
    07-15-09 02:36 AM
    Sith, that looks similar to what I had seen in hard copy, with the exception of the XX50 as that list doesn't really explain the 8350.

07-15-09 02:38 AM
    Why does wifi matter? U are required to have a data plan with vzw bb so what difference would wifi make? Evdo is very fast and you can tether just as efficient. I just want to know the purpose.

07-15-09 02:41 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD