07-15-09 02:41 AM
32 12
tools
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched and I've found a lot of contradictory information and nothing that really addressed my questions. I have a few questions about Verizon's WiFi, mainly because I'm debating between getting the new Tour or waiting until the Storm 2 comes out which is said to have WiFi.

First, if I was to wait and get the Storm 2, what can/can't I do on WiFi? I'm often located in a few areas where there are dead spots on VZ's mobile network, but WiFi access is available. I'm concerned about being able to make/receive calls, send/receive text messages, use BBM, etc. over WiFi. Is all of that possible over WiFi with Verizon?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    07-14-09 11:14 AM
    There is currently no information as to if the Storm 2 will have WiFi, because even the phone itself is kind of "hush hush" right now (and you never know, they could still scrap it). The Tour does have WiFi, so if you really want to know, the best bet is to wait until the Storm 2 comes out (read: IF, because you never know) and if they both are WiFi, choose between the two. Otherwise, knowing that the Tour has WiFi, pick the Tour.

As far as WiFi with calls and texts and BBM goes, calls and texts go through the Verizon network, so that WILL NOT work off WiFi. However, BBM is a RIM server related thing, and goes through the internet, to put it basically, so that WILL work with WiFi.
    07-14-09 11:21 AM
    There is currently no information as to if the Storm 2 will have WiFi, because even the phone itself is kind of "hush hush" right now (and you never know, they could still scrap it). The Tour does have WiFi, so if you really want to know, the best bet is to wait until the Storm 2 comes out (read: IF, because you never know) and if they both are WiFi, choose between the two. Otherwise, knowing that the Tour has WiFi, pick the Tour.

As far as WiFi with calls and texts and BBM goes, calls and texts go through the Verizon network, so that WILL NOT work off WiFi. However, BBM is a RIM server related thing, and goes through the internet, to put it basically, so that WILL work with WiFi.
    Storm 2 will have Wi-Fi, and it's not being scrapped. The Tour doesn't have Wi-Fi, but the variant of the Tour with Wi-Fi will be released in the 1Q 2010.
    07-14-09 11:26 AM
    I'm not saying it WILL be scrapped, but we've all seen launch dates get pushed back. And until I have the phone in my inventory, I always call a posibility for a phone to get scrapped, because you really never know.

Also, our phone tags in store must be wrong, because they say WiFi. I will check with our area merchandising rep on that, cuz if that's wrong it'll need to be changed. Thanks for the info.
    07-14-09 11:31 AM
    Storm 2 will have Wi-Fi, and it's not being scrapped. The Tour doesn't have Wi-Fi, but the variant of the Tour with Wi-Fi will be released in the 1Q 2010.
    Thanks, that's what I thought.

Based on the fact that you can't get phone calls or text via WiFi, I'm thinking that waiting for the Storm 2 might not be worth it just for that feature alone.
    07-14-09 04:10 PM
    Thanks, that's what I thought.

Based on the fact that you can't get phone calls or text via WiFi, I'm thinking that waiting for the Storm 2 might not be worth it just for that feature alone.

Where do you get your fictional responses from? More importantly, why do people always believe the incorrect answers but when someone posts logic that can be proven....its questioned and second guessed 40 times?
    07-14-09 04:16 PM
    99% of the stuff you will hear about the Storm 2 is speculation. After LTE is launched anything is possible (so cross your fingers)
    07-14-09 04:24 PM
    Where do you get your fictional responses from? More importantly, why do people always believe the incorrect answers but when someone posts logic that can be proven....its questioned and second guessed 40 times?
    If you do a quick google search, or look in the Storm 2 forums, you'll see that the Storm 2's feature set was leaked over the weekend and it includes WiFi. Also, it was just recently announced Sprint will have WiFi enabled Tour's by next year, and that Verizon is working with RIM on the same thing. All very recent information, but why would you ASSUME they're incorrect answers without first questioning that you have all the information???
    07-14-09 04:28 PM

Maybe you had a typo, the tour does not have wifi.
    07-14-09 04:39 PM
    Google and a Storm forum...What was i thinking...
    07-14-09 04:39 PM
    Google and a Storm forum...What was i thinking...
    You'll find links to articles there...I hope you're capable of clicking web links...
    07-14-09 04:42 PM
    Oh i sure am. Im also capable of speaking directly to RIM reps and researching internal information that also confirms that (like i said already) 99% of the stuff you hear about the Storm 2 is speculation.
    07-14-09 04:45 PM
    We need to develop a virtual boxing ring in some of these threads.
    07-14-09 04:53 PM
    We need to develop a virtual boxing ring in some of these threads.
    ya, anything to flex our e-peens.
    07-14-09 05:35 PM
    Someone slap these folks for restarting these often argumentative & sometimes ugly threads.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 05:46 PM
    Oh - I'd like to remind everyone that early speculation had the 8830WE, the Pearl, the Curve, the Storm & the Tour with WiFi. Notice a pattern here?

Some of these rumors came complete with screen shots indicating WiFi. So don't believe the rumors.

Also I've heard rumors of a Tour-based phone for HSPA/GSM which will most likely have WiFi, as well as a 4G WiMAX model - WiMAX is basically WiFi on steroids. While either could be true, the latter (Clearwire WiMAX) is more likely and both could be the basis of these rumors. Or, it could be wishful thinking.

VZW does offer various Samsung & HTC smartphones with WiFi if it is important to you. If you have dead spots you frequent, it might be a deciding factor.

07-14-09 06:42 PM
    I've heard from very reliable sources ( not on this forum lol ) that VZ will have a wifi blackberry in the not to distant future. Since its coming from the persons it did, I have a lot of faith that its true.

Also a VZ inventory sheet was leaked that had the 9550 ( storm 2 )listed. Any cdma blackberry that ends in "50" means that it has wifi so I'm told.
    07-14-09 07:04 PM
    I've heard from very reliable sources ( not on this forum lol ) that VZ will have a wifi blackberry in the not to distant future. Since its coming from the persons it did, I have a lot of faith that its true.
    I have heard something similar - except I keep hearing it with a Large Telecommunications Equipment caveat.

I hope you picked up the hint correctly.

07-14-09 09:13 PM
    Yea it wasn't to hard

I know your skeptical about a cdma wifi bb and you think its stupid to have wifi on a phone but it appears there's considerable demand for it so it might just come to pass.

So you think it will be LTE berry with wifi or no wifi period and just LTE?

07-14-09 09:26 PM
    Yea it wasn't to hard

I know your skeptical about a cdma wifi bb and you think its stupid to have wifi on a phone but it appears there's considerable demand for it so it might just come to pass.

So you think it will be LTE berry with wifi or no wifi period and just LTE?
    I am not skeptical about it - I just find it worthless.

It is hard to really get a feel for where RIM is heading. For a variety of reasons, they have chosen not to include WiFi with CDMA BlackBerrys. While I have asked device engineers, network engineers & others why, I get an assortment of answers, the most common being battery & radio interference. The battery, I can see - the radio issue, I can't. What I strongly suspect also weighs in is issues surrounding the way RIM servers authenticate CDMA devices & how WiFi can cause problems with that.

More to the point is that CDMA is nearing EOL - basically GSM should've beem EOL a decade ago, but it is much cheaper to implement than CDMA. Hence GSM is more attractive to developing nations. Being EOL, I can't imagine RIM putting a lot of thought or effort into a combination they've ignored until this point.

We could see early LTE devices with WiFi, as a bridge to network buildout. Eventually, there will be no need for it, though. I also can't see RIM as being a frontrunner on LTE or any combinations involving LTE - again, based on their history. RIM's recent history indicates they have lost their way in innovation and quality, as well, and their business model won't support it either. They want to retain too much control, a necessary evil with a platform that is so tied to the mothership.

There is no exclusive on the Tour platform, so RIM may seek to look for a faster amortization of development costs, especially since the Bold isn't a real big hit. Storm is still outselling it, as is Curve. I think Tour will also outdo Bold - even with Bold's "superiority" in WiFi.

I don't think RIM sees a big demand for WiFi. Sure, we hear about it a lot, because of the sites we hang out on - but the big picture says most don't care. Out of everyone I know - and that includes a lot of telecom types - I can think of one who cares & he has a WinMo phone. When pressed about it, he says the only time he has lit up WiFi has been to try it out. His phone works, period. I have WiFi-enabled phones here, but leave the WiFi off except during testing that requires it. It is such a crappy mobile technology, I prefer to use broadband access cards on my laptops. So I don't find fault with RIM for not offering a CDMA phone without it.

I may be wrong on my forecast - and parts of me hope I am - but I don't see a VZW BlackBerry with WiFi for at least 18 months, if ever.

07-14-09 11:01 PM
    never hear anyone speak of wifi overseas at travel locations or in an airplane. I doubt very much that people will find connectig with wifi in those settings worthless....
    07-14-09 11:32 PM
    never hear anyone speak of wifi overseas at travel locations or in an airplane. I doubt very much that people will find connectig with wifi in those settings worthless....
    That is what a laptop is for.

I should know, with the frequent-flyer miles I rack up. I haven't needed WiFi once today.

Hey 'Bum! How is the weather today? 17C here, which is like 62F.

07-15-09 12:24 AM
    I may be wrong on my forecast - and parts of me hope I am - but I don't see a VZW BlackBerry with WiFi for at least 18 months, if ever.

So the all the noise we just heard about VZ and Sprint making wifi mandatory on all smartphones was false, and all the reports and leaks about the next Storm and others on VZ to have wifi are false? There was just a leak/rumor yesterday about the 9550 showing up in VZ inventory system and since it ends in 50 that designates cdma rev a with wifi.

I'm just wondering how you get your forecast there won't be any for awhile or not at all and if its based on facts or mostly opinion. If its your opinion thats fine, we are all entitled to our own opinion, but if its facts then I want to get it straight.
    07-15-09 12:45 AM
    Hold the phone! Literally, even.

First you say it is a leaked rumor, but you treat it as gospel truth. Step back & look at that for a moment.

Now take a look at reality. Why are there no CDMA BlackBerrys? If it were VZW dictating no WiFi, then whose head did HTC & Samsung hold a gun to? Oops, must be a RIM product decision.

To say Sprint "mandated" WiFi on new phones is moot - WiMAX radios can handle WiFi with a simple software addition. With the limited coverage of WiMAX, they will need it.

VZW is a different story. If RIM adds WiFi, then VZW will sell the device. But if RIM doesn't or can't, what will VZW do, besides stop selling BlackBerrys.

To think VZW is mandating such a thing would be like your Chevy dealer mandating all Aveos come with a V8 or the Caddy dealer insisting Escalades get 60MPG.

Don't forget - I get more of these devices sooner than do the fansites. The carriers request features. If the manufacturers can make a business case to oblige the requests and can design it within their expected parameters, it will happen. The fact of the matter is, VZW requested WiFi on the Curve & Storm. Neither happened. The Saga & Omnia were both offered with & without WiFi - the evil WiFi-hating VZW took the Wifi devices.

Don't pay attention to wishful thinking. Think logically & ratinally. Most of all, be a realist. That way, if RIM surprises, it will be better. If they don't, only the fantasy-minded & the conspiracy theorists will be unhappy.

07-15-09 01:08 AM
    I thought rim's internal numbering map showed XX40 as the eventual cdma numbering for wifi and XX50 was specialty like push to talk.. As in 8350i, with the i being for iden and the 50 was for ptt.

If true, then your rumored 9550 is less than a rumor. It is bs.

07-15-09 01:23 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD