Not sure if this has been discussed, but check this out:

Verizon Wireless will introduce the highly-anticipated MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot on May 17. Developed by Novatel Wireless, the MiFi 2200 lets customers create a personal Wi-Fi cloud capable of sharing the reliability and high-speed Internet connectivity of the Verizon Wireless 3G Mobile Broadband network with up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices such as notebooks, netbooks, cameras, gaming devices or portable media/MP3 players.

The MiFi 2200 is small enough to fit in a pocket, measuring 3.5 x 2.3 x 0.4 and weighing 2.05 ounces. It combines a variety of features into its streamlined form factor, including integrated internal CDMA and Wi-Fi antennas, advanced security and authentication technologies. When one device is connected through Wi-Fi, the MiFi 2200s rechargeable battery provides up to four hours of active use and 40 hours of standby time on a single charge.

The MiFi 2200 gives more than 86 million customers access to the nations largest and most reliable 3G network, said Mike Lanman, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. With a projected growth rate of over 30 percent for Wi-Fi mobile phones, MiFi will be of great benefit to both business customers and consumers. It gives customers the flexibility to transform their Wi-Fi-enabled consumer electronics into Mobile Broadband devices and to choose how and when they need to be connected at a price point that will match most budgets.

Pricing
    The MiFi 2200 will be available online and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores for $99.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers can select from various price plans:

$39.99 monthly access for 250 MB monthly allowance and 10 cents per megabyte overage.
    $59.99 monthly access for 5 GB monthly allowance and 5 cents per megabyte overage.
    Customers can also use the MiFi 2200 with Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband DayPass for $15 for 24-hour access when the device is purchased at full retail price without a monthly service plan.
    05-08-09 07:33 AM
    I really hope the limits are not right. You would be begging for overage if you signed up for this.
    05-08-09 07:37 AM
    Agreed especially if you hook 5 computers to it.
    Last edited by lastraid; 05-08-09 at 08:36 AM.
    05-08-09 07:59 AM
    I am confused.. is this a cell phone type device that transforms EVDO (Rev A i am guessing) to wifi.. kinda like a CDMA router? Or is this more of a mobile card you can hook up to a computer and then other devices can share from there... If it is like the 2nd option.. why not just ad-hoc your mobile broadband and accomplish the same thing without paying for the device?
    If it is like the 1st.. There better be an off switch or airports are going to ban them...
    05-08-09 08:08 AM
    So it's a wireless router using your VZW connection instead of a regular wireless router. I can see very few practical applications of this considering the device and bandwidth restrictions.

I don't see the point!
    05-08-09 08:28 AM
    So it's a wireless router using your VZW connection instead of a regular wireless router. I can see very few practical applications of this considering the device and bandwidth restrictions.

I don't see the point!
    Verizon debuts MiFi 2200 portable EV-DO router
    Eh.. even if i had verizon i would rather pay the tethering fee and just use my blackberry for internet... this is just another thing you gotta carry a power cord around cause 4 hours use is not that impressive in the end... Only plus with this over using the blackberry is you still have your internet when you are on the phone...
    Last edited by numus; 05-08-09 at 08:37 AM.
    05-08-09 08:32 AM
    Since there is service required per the OP. I would think that it will connect on its own and there by required to have its own line of service and phone number. If I am correct, then it is a stand alone modem, with built in WI_FI that will support up to 5 WI_FI connections.

I have a bunch of questions about this device, that I will know more about soon once the training starts on this device.
    05-08-09 08:35 AM
    Since there is service required per the OP. I would think that it will connect on its own and there by required to have its own line of service and phone number. If I am correct, then it is a stand alone modem, with built in WI_FI that will support up to 5 WI_FI connections.

I have a bunch of questions about this device, that I will know more about soon once the training starts on this device.
    From all the techincally specs this looks to be identical to a mobile broadband card.. except instead of using your computer to actually access the network it has its own little onboard cpu to connect to the network and translate the data into bluetooth... My guess is it will cost the same as a mobile broadband card.. does that require its own line and everything or is it a flat rate?!? Truthfully i have no idea cause i just tether my BB
    05-08-09 08:39 AM
    From all the techincally specs this looks to be identical to a mobile broadband card.. except instead of using your computer to actually access the network it has its own little onboard cpu to connect to the network and translate the data into bluetooth... My guess is it will cost the same as a mobile broadband card.. does that require its own line and everything or is it a flat rate?!? Truthfully i have no idea cause i just tether my BB
    Yes, both aircards and USB modems requires a line of service and each device is assigned a number.
    05-08-09 09:12 AM
    I've used it. Its pretty sweet. No idea on pricing but I hear it won't be standard aircard rates.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 09:20 AM
    I really hope the limits are not right. You would be begging for overage if you signed up for this.
    agreed... with limits, this thing is useless and would cause more headackes than it will releave
    05-08-09 11:18 AM
    Okay gang here is official release with pricing and data caps (BOO) from the VZW website.

VZW MI_FI
    05-08-09 11:27 AM

I'm trying to find more info on the pricing. My wife and I are looking at this as an option too.

EDIT.....forget that, we were looking at it as an option for home use.
    Last edited by ScottRPriester; 05-08-09 at 12:27 PM.
    05-08-09 12:12 PM
    and they advertize connecting to gamming devices as well.... with a cap???
    05-08-09 12:20 PM
    and the battery life on it isnt that great. i think it was 3 hours usage time in optimal conditions. and if you dont remember to go in and change the security settings to have a password then anyone can use your wifi and cause you overages..
    05-10-09 10:04 AM
    and the battery life on it isnt that great. i think it was 3 hours usage time in optimal conditions. and if you dont remember to go in and change the security settings to have a password then anyone can use your wifi and cause you overages..
    1. Correct, you have to set a password on your own just like any other wireless router.

2. The wifi signal only goes so far so you will be able to see anyone using it.
    05-10-09 01:35 PM
    This has been possible for a while with a usb modem....

PHS300 Personal WiFi Hotspot | Cradlepoint Technology
    05-10-09 08:28 PM
    I saw a MIFI at the verizon store today, looks pretty impressive, VERY small, and seems to work as described.
    05-12-09 03:18 PM
    I've used it. Its pretty sweet. No idea on pricing but I hear it won't be standard aircard rates.

When did you use it? I call shannigans there.

Its supposed to be pretty cool but yeah....that cap is silly if you are hooking 5 devices up to it.
    05-13-09 11:23 AM

I don't see the point!
    You could have a cellular connection for your DS.

(Which is my reasoning for considering it...)

No joke though. Every once in awhile you'll have somebody calling in to ask how to hook up a console to a cell connection. All we've been able to tell 'em so far is "Find a computer forum and good luck". Now we actually have an answer for these calls...
    05-14-09 12:41 AM
    When did you use it? I call shannigans there.

Its supposed to be pretty cool but yeah....that cap is silly if you are hooking 5 devices up to it.
    I got to demo it a while ago. I work there so I get to try some products ahead of time.

05-14-09 12:37 PM
    I got one of these bad boys today and have to say I'm very impressed. You can slip it in your pocket and take it anywhere.

Data speeds were also impressive. I did a speed test on speedtest.net with my mackbook and got 2.5 MB down and .38 MB up.

Highly recommend!!
    05-29-09 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD